Smashed Swingarm woes...

Michael- you continue to bitch about how much $$ you are putting into this bike to make it "good enough to ride" in your opinion. People on this board like this bike. Don't get offended when they post in such a way that supports this bike.

In other news, you're going to be disappointed again when your manual cam chain tensioner doesn't fix your complaint of it "whining" when it's cold.

Cam chains "rattle" when they are not tensioned properly at certain Rpms.

Yamaha will also deny you any engine warranty coverage if you install that tensioner, as it is not an approved after market component.

That is, if an engine failure occurs due to the tensioner - I mean.

Skip

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
@michael, you are such a drama queen. You come into a single make forum and piss & moan about the bike then get all uppity when people express a contrary view.

Either accept that people have a different view or go find somewhere else to moan.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
@michael , you are such a drama queen. You come into a single make forum and piss & moan about the bike then get all uppity when people express a contrary view. 
Either accept that people have a different view or go find somewhere else to moan.
No need for personal attacks.  I have only criticized the bike, and have not stooped to personal attacks as several here have done with me.  
Anyway, I would have to actually care what anyone here thinks of me in order for any of the feeble personal attacks to have any effect on me, and you know what?  I don't.  :-)

Motorcycles are highly personal things. The FJ is not for everyone. I have to agree with the crowd here. If you don't like the bike, it's much, much better to go buy the bike you want rather than complain about the bike you have while trying to modify it to be the bike you wanted to buy in the first place. To the delight of the majority here and to the dismay of @michael the FJ-09 will never be a KTM. The KTM crowd will be much more receptive of you heaping praise on your new KTM than the FJ crowd is of your constant complaints about their beloved bike.

• Premium Member
@michael , you are such a drama queen. You come into a single make forum and piss & moan about the bike then get all uppity when people express a contrary view. 
....AAAAND, IN THIS CORNER WE HAVE A CONTENDER FOR "MOST PRETENTIOUS BOLLOCKS".....Wessies title might be in peril..... 

Michael, you said screeching yeah? The only sound I have ever heard screech on a motorbike after working on them for 18+ years in the trade is a old gsx1100 that had no oil in it... Poor old thing was trying to weld the cams to the head through friction.. And a cb1000 Honda with a faulty waterpump it would squeal when cold and go away when warm. Have you got any videos of the noise? As skip said cam chains and tensioners rattle as do the gearbox gears when in neutral under no load, triples whine in general. I quite like the noise.
But a screech is a odd word to describe that...?

• Premium Member
No need for personal attacks.  I have only criticized the bike, and have not stooped to personal attacks as several here have done with me.  
Anyway, I would have to actually care what anyone here thinks of me in order for any of the feeble personal attacks to have any effect on me, and you know what?  I don't.  :-)

By all means state that the bike did not meet your expectations but you generalise in a negative way about Yamaha from a single datum. This is both crass and quite wrong.

If you didn't care what people say about then you would not reply in the way you do, unless of course, your purpose here it to troll.

Anyway, I look forward to your forthcoming KTM purchase and migration to a forum where you will have plenty of opportunity to learn about Austrian R&D, QA and customer service.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I have owned five KTMs.  I doubt any surprises are in store for me.
I had a KTM 450exc and I loved that bike. It had a few issues (forks not responsive, overheating, leaking water pump), but I still loved it. We had one guy here that was not happy with his F-Jay, always raving about the BMW S1000-XR, so he sold his F-Jay and bought one. I assume he is very happy now. My intent was not to push you away, just offering up some advice that I think will work for you. I bought a Mazda Speed3 when I really wanted a vette. Long story short, I now have the vette and could not be happier. Good luck whatever you choose.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

At some point in a dissapointing ownership one should realize they bought the wrong machine. I have hung 8K on mine and trading it tomorrow, it is a great bike for the niche it was built for but I decided to go for a higher build level. You can modify all you want and still never be satisfied.
No doubt my next bike won't be perfect, thanks to this forum I know exactly what the FJ09 needs.

wow, I take a week off and you guys all go nuts :)

Michael I have to agree with the sentiment if not the delivery. I farkled the crap out of my V strom 650. Turns out that nothing I did to it would make it the bike I wanted. I just got back from 2700 miles on the FJ. Sure its not perfect, and no way as comfortable as the V with the Russell Daylong, but when I got to my destination it kept me smiling.

Don't accept second best, get what you want or you will never be happy. That being said, I didn't badmouth the V on stromtroopers ;)
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Having owned many KTM's, I love the suspensions, but hated the LC4 oil change routine, two filters, measure the oil, put it into the frame down pipe that's also the oil sump... It was byzantine to say the least.

But the bikes off road excellent, and on road, they are as good as any endure out there. Sure the KLR has a massive following, but they have issues too, and fixes for the issues. (Like nearly every bike out there.)

I was just done with an hour long test ride on a 2006 KTM 990SM, and trying to tell myself that 12k for a bike that was listed at 14k was a good deal right?

Then on a whim, dropped by the Yamaha dealer to look at the "new" FZ1. Candy Red. 5 valve I4, lower seat, small fairing, sprung for two up riding. (A complaint for most, but I'm a large guy, so perfect for me.) Took it for a test ride...

The smile it put on my face and the reality that with the fueling issues, and bad press complaining about the engine/fuel/suspension etc... I picked it up for 6k out the door brand new. And the mods were cheap. Swapped out an R1 shock, cranked up the preload on the forks and lived with it.

Point is, it's all about fun.

If you are having fun, that's key. A low entry price point is just sauce for the goose. ;)

You need to man up and sell the F-Jay and get the bike you want. Your repeated complaints of the F-Jay tells me you need to sell it and take your lumps. You will never be happy with it no matter what you do. Yes there is a pea under the mattress that you repeatedly find.  Rant off. baldy_zps5mb6zyba.gif
Oh my goodneth! I had not realized my masculinity was in question. Yes, based on your sage advice I will sell it and go back to knitting doilies.  Thanks so much for your helpful comments.
You seem to have made up your mind on Yamaha based on what may be one rogue bike, that you obviously knew was in some ways built down to a budget, and loudly decry a brand and bike that many on here are very taken with (obviously). Don't be surprised when you get a bit of a backlash.  
Like someone above, I've had loads of bikes and Yamahas are right up there in terms of quality; apart from the Honda VFR I've had, and a couple of BMW K-Bikes they are probably the best (and the Beemers suffered the notorious smoking problem). God help you if you'd bought one of the first series Honda V-Fours, you'd never have bought another Honda. 

FWIW low volume manufacturers (I've had a Rickman, a Moto Morini, a KTM, and a Buell and a Guzzi) are high on charm/individuality, and sometimes dynamic quality, but low on reliability, build quality/fit and finish, and ease of access to, and price of, spares. Be careful what you wish for. 

it is an interesting number. Of course thousands of these bikes have been sold. I can understand its not perfect. Nothing is. Why are they selling?
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Archived