Smashed Swingarm woes...

I have to say that of all the bikes I've owned over the years, I 've found Yamahas to be the most trouble free.  I've had Hondas, Yamahas, and one Kawasaki, a 2002 Concours.  I would buy another Honda, depending on what they have to offer, same for Yamaha, but my one Kawasaki was enough for me.  It didn't age well any was leaking oil at 5000 miles.  In keeping with this subject I love my FJ.  I consider it the perfect bike FOR THE MONEY.  It puts a smile on my face everytime I hop on and that's what it's all about.  I do agree that there's no reason to bust somebodies balls because they don't like their bike.  Let's all just enjoy the ride!
Brad
Selbyville, DE

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Know of at least four owners (three of whom owned and loved multiple Yamaha models) that are eating depreciation and selling with less than a year of ownership. Just my anecdote but doesn't seem a good thing.  

Intriguing.  I will be the first to admit that there are some things that could be better on this bike (Yes Yamaha, I'm referring to the suspension, saddle and the lack of OEM cruise control).  But these can be fixed.  I was aware of these shortcomings when I bought the bike, and considered them to be acceptable, given the price bracket.

I have dropped a lot more coin on bikes in the past, and been far less happy (Yes BMW, I'm talking about you).  

Naturally, some people will be disappointed with their purchase, for any number of reasons.  It would be interesting to know why your friends are selling so early, and what they found as a replacement.

• Premium Member
Know of at least four owners (three of whom owned and loved multiple Yamaha models) that are eating depreciation and selling with less than a year of ownership. Just my anecdote but doesn't seem a good thing.  

you don't give any context. Would these 4 owners change the bike regardless of what it is or are they disappointed with some aspect? I have a small number of acquaintances who seem to lose interest in a bike as soon as it is in their garage. The research and purchase negotiations seem to be what they enjoy more than actually owning or using a bike. With a huge number of bikes in dealer used stock with very low mileage, this seems to be a big factor on both sides of the Atlantic. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

you don't give any context. Would these 4 owners change the bike regardless of what it is or are they disappointed with some aspect? I have a small number of acquaintances who seem to lose interest in a bike as soon as it is in their garage. The research and purchase negotiations seem to be what they enjoy more than actually owning or using a bike. With a huge number of bikes in dealer used stock with very low mileage, this seems to be a big factor on both sides of the Atlantic. 

I know of at least four people who believe that the world is flat. I know of at least four people who believe that Ethanol is the next great fuel source. I know of at least four people who believe that....

The FJ-09 is one hell of a bike. It is a low priced sport touring bike and does not have the perks that comes with $12,000-$18,000 priced bikes. Boo freaking hoo.

• Premium Member

Very true Wessie, very true. I keep a bike about 3 years, then I look for something else. I usually try and sell it before the value goes down too much, but I am really enjoying my F-Jay, so time will tell. It still makes me smile how light and flickable it is. I can't wait to install the cruise control, then I will be almost done. Maybe a more comfortable seat mod, and maybe another windscreen, but that is just making it more than perfect. I actually hope they start renting the tracer in Europe if I ever make it over there to ride the alps.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Its a good bike but I think yamaha could of done better with the build quality. It needs to be more refined. I do find myself riding it less the the zx6r only because I like the feel of the zx6r better. I really only bought this bike to ride two up but find that the misses doesnt like to ride as much as I do. Might sell it and get a BMW s1000rr or ZX10r.

• Premium Member
Well, I think my FJ09 is awesome. I researched this bike for 7 months before I bought it. From the first time I demoed it in Daytona I knew this was the bike for me. So many bikes out there to choose from it made my head spin. But I kept coming back to the FJ09. You know, we all make choices. If a bike isn't what is expected then sell it and move on. Life is way too short... Have fun....
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

They're unhappy with the bike. Aero/high speed handling issues, finish, etc.  

High speed handling issues?

I can quite enjoyably ride mine flat-out on Australia's twisty, pot-holed, cart tracks.  

Yes, it gets a bit twitchy.  Yes, it likes to pogo a bit.  Yes, the rear can get unsettled during hard cornering on corrugated roads.  It makes you work when riding hard.  Not quite as hard as the old Honda 750/4, granted, but it's still an involving and spirited ride that chucks the odd sphincter tightener to remind you of what attracted you to motorcycling in the first place.  A test ride prior to purchase demonstrates all of these "shortcomings".  

It has a short wheelbase, it's light (and I'm not @ 115kg), and the factory suspension could best be described as "adequate", so it's never going to be as comfortable or sure-footed as my old R1150GS.

But it goes faster everywhere than the aforementioned land yacht, and despite it's electrickery keeping things in check, allows the rider to feel connected with both the road and the machine.  In the price bracket, it is very hard to find anything else that works as well, and has so much scope for customisation/improvement.  Fit and finish is consistent with mass produced bikes in this range.

God help us if every bike becomes some exceptionally bland, predictable, vanilla ice-cream maxi-scooter.

I think "high speed handling issues" is code for something else........

They're unhappy with the bike. Aero/high speed handling issues, finish, etc.  

High speed handling issues?  
I can quite enjoyably ride mine flat-out on Australia's twisty, pot-holed, cart tracks.  

Yes, it gets a bit twitchy.  Yes, it likes to pogo a bit.  Yes, the rear can get unsettled during hard cornering on corrugated roads.  It makes you work when riding hard.  Not quite as hard as the old Honda 750/4, granted, but it's still an involving and spirited ride that chucks the odd sphincter tightener to remind you of what attracted you to motorcycling in the first place.  A test ride prior to purchase demonstrates all of these "shortcomings".  

It has a short wheelbase, it's light (and I'm not @ 115kg), and the factory suspension could best be described as "adequate", so it's never going to be as comfortable or sure-footed as my old R1150GS.

But it goes faster everywhere than the aforementioned land yacht, and despite it's electrickery keeping things in check, allows the rider to feel connected with both the road and the machine.  In the price bracket, it is very hard to find anything else that works as well, and has so much scope for customisation/improvement.  Fit and finish is consistent with mass produced bikes in this range.

God help us if every bike becomes some exceptionally bland, predictable, vanilla ice-cream maxi-scooter.

I think "high speed handling issues" is code for something else........

What he said!! And look how popular my swing arm thread is hahaha! Very fun bike for very little money. Quality issues??? Haven't owned a trumpet then I guess...

• Premium Member
I bought a different bike. 

As soon as I can get the forks back on the FJ-09 I am putting it up for sale. Probably be a smokin' deal for somebody too, since I am not going to remove the farkles I have added and I know the used market isn't willing to pay for them.

As soon as I can get the forks back on the FJ-09 I am putting it up for sale. Probably be a smokin' deal for somebody too, since I am not going to remove the farkles I have added and I know the used market isn't willing to pay for them.
What did you get?

• Premium Member
What did you get?
Something that is not an FJ-09. If I say what, it opens the door for people to criticize my choice. I prefer not to get into that, thanks.

What did you get?
Something that is not an FJ-09. If I say what, it opens the door for people to criticize my choice. I prefer not to get into that, thanks.
What do you care if someone criticises your selection?  You clearly aren't afraid to come here and tell us why you don't like the FJ, so brush aside anyone's criticism. 
I am actually interested in what you chose as a replacement, and why, as it will add a significant amount of context as to the shortcomings that you found in the FJ.

To be fair to the FJ-09 id like to see comparisons that are limited to the same price range as the FJ. $10,490.00 is the MSRP even though many are paying far less than that new. So, what other sport tourer priced at $10,490 is better than the first generation FJ-09?

Archived