Soft luggage bags

• Premium Member
I don't think the coat hanger is going to be strong enough. You might want to p/u 3/16"- 1/4" round stock at the hardware store. Attach it to the turn signal frame work and make new holes in the RKA bags at the slots. Use a soldering iron to melt the fabric for the holes. If you stick with the coat hanger, at least attach it to the turn signal frame to shorten the lengths and stiffen it up.
If I attach anything to the bike I'll probably use angle metal and attach it to the forward (lower in the pic) 2 bolts (and use longer bolts) in this pic:

http://i.imgur.com/dGGk2lD.jpg
Then instead of having it go through the RKA bag 'flaps' I would attach 3 x 3" flat rounded plate that the bags butt against only if the bags flexed in significantly, maybe within 1/2" of the tire?

The best solution would be to replace the 2 heavy plastic pieces on each side of the seat that have the hard bag top mounts and tie-down hooks. Replace it with metal, and including a piece that goes straight down near the rear of the soft bags. Right now I only leave the 2 plastic side pieces on because it's a wider perch for the top of the saddle bags.

< EDIT >
Just checked the bolts mounting those 2 plastic hard bag mounts, they are long and pass through a spacer sleeve. I think I will replace them with flat metal bars including a downward flat piece for saddle bag backing, and reusing the bolts and sleeves.
Recommendations for metal? Steel? What thickness?

You could try some Schedule 80 1/2 inch pvc pipe? Place over the coat hanger? 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would recommend you building a couple sq. U shaped brackets that hold the bags and keep them from hitting the tires.  Like these:

0WfJoY2.jpg
 eKlBvWT.jpg
bqI5EXw.jpg

I made this after church from a 5/16" rod (old axle from something) laying around in the recycle bin.  Just the right length, but any rod about 19-24 inches long should work.  Hold the verticles 6 1/8" apart and make one about 1 3/4" longer.  Hammer the ends 3/32" flat and drill a 8mm hole.  Reuse the existing bracket bolts and reattach the saddle bag brackets.  Takes 2-4 hours plus painting. 

[/img]

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

A friend who owned a HD, gave me one of his tail bags.  It was brand new, he hadn't even mounted it on his bike, before he sold the bike and bought a 500hp Mustang.  It turns out to be a nice bag:

8mTxyw8.jpg

But that isn't what I am posting for.  It came with these wonderful D rings mounted to small straps that had rings or just burnt holes for mounting with a bolt.  
xUD9oZ8.jpg
I'm using the two on the back handle mount bolts.  It's a good idea and would be easy to make if you have the straps and picked up some "D" rings.  You would also need a sewing machine.

A friend who owned a HD, gave me one of his tail bags.  It was brand new, he hadn't even mounted it on his bike, before he sold the bike and bought a 500hp Mustang.  It turns out to be a nice bag: 
8mTxyw8.jpg

Slow down a bit when you pass Hardleys, give them a chance to read their logo.  P-)

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

8mTxyw8.jpg

Slow down a bit when you pass Hardleys, give them a chance to read their logo.  P-)
LMAO!!!! (rofl)
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

• 3 weeks later...
I was able to install my bags from Nelson Rigg (US Yamaha official product) with no issues. They are a little higher than I would like, but I did not use and other mounts. I fastened them to the rear pegs and to the rear rack that I installed as well. I have about 100 miles with them installed and I have not had any issues. Overall great alternative to the hard bags.

GPHO3fAGPHO3fA

http://imgur.com/GPHO3fA

I was able to install my bags from Nelson Rigg (US Yamaha official product) with no issues.  
http://imgur.com/GPHO3fA

Those look good (big) for long trips! ::)  How big is each side?
http://www.nelsonrigg.com/luggage/saddlebags/touring-adventure-saddlebags-detail.html 
29 liters per side.  They are pretty large.  They do not hold my full face helmet, but they will do the job for rain gear and enough stuff for a day or two ride. 

The instructions you get in the package is useless.  I used the instructions that they have on the website.  Pretty straight forward though.

The medium dry bag would fit nicely in between them.

http://www.nelsonrigg.com/luggage/tail-bags/adventure-dry-bag-detail.html

• Premium Member
What brand is it, and where can we buy one? Link? Good looking bag!

8mTxyw8.jpg

But that isn't what I am posting for.  It came with these wonderful D rings mounted to small straps that had rings or just burnt holes for mounting with a bolt.  
xUD9oZ8.jpg
I'm using the two on the back handle mount bolts.  It's a good idea and would be easy to make if you have the straps and picked up some "D" rings.  You would also need a sewing machine.

Archived