Lidlox helmet lock anyone?

• Premium Member
I have never used helmet locks.  If I was riding in a highly populated (read: fulla dirtbags) area, I would take my helmet with me.  If I am riding in my preferred areas (the mountains, where it is pretty much dirtbag-free) I either put the helmet on the ground or hang it from a passenger peg.  

When I lived in SF I heard numerous reports of people using helmet locks who would come back to their bike and the D rings and part of the strap were still on the lock but the helmet was gone.  Crackheads will steal anything, and have no idea that a helmet with the strap cut off is worth less.  Hey, it's shiny, must be worth a bunch!  One day in SF I had a crackhead try to sell me the door off a home dishwasher.

stevelenti, It looks like a great idea since there is no place to hang the helmet on the FJ-09 but I might loose the required metal hook that is needed each time...also I would put the helmet lock key on my key-chain and it might scratch the paint where it rolls around along with the ignition key...a few details to correct one small requirement, I wonder if there isn't a simpler way?
The metal hook is the first thing that kinda put me off for the same reasons you state.  I have to keep track of the darn thing.  I do like the option of having a lock though and I pretty much ride with a tank bag all the time so the hook would in theory just always be in the bag.  I might give it a go.  If I do I'll post a full review. 
-Steve

I have never used helmet locks.  If I was riding in a highly populated (read: fulla dirtbags) area, I would take my helmet with me.  If I am riding in my preferred areas (the mountains, where it is pretty much dirtbag-free) I either put the helmet on the ground or hang it from a passenger peg.   
When I lived in SF I heard numerous reports of people using helmet locks who would come back to their bike and the D rings and part of the strap were still on the lock but the helmet was gone.  Crackheads will steal anything, and have no idea that a helmet with the strap cut off is worth less.  Hey, it's shiny, must be worth a bunch!  One day in SF I had a crackhead try to sell me the door off a home dishwasher.
Agreed but still would like the option for the more "safer" areas I visit.  Mainly for my commute to work and occasional stops along the way. 
-Steve

I liked this when I saw it a while back and will probably get one eventually. My plan was to keep the helmet key in my tool bag under the seat. Kind of a hassle but no big deal. I loved Yamahas supplied "wire" that is supposed to be their version of a helmet lock. The only problem was that the hook they referred you to under the seat doesn't exist, at least not on my bike.  It looked like a good pair of scissors could have cut the wire they provided anyway. 
Brad
Selbyville, DE

• Premium Member
My Yamaha 1976 XS 650C has a Helmet D-lock right with the same key lock for the seat. Turn the key lock to the left the D-lock unlatches. Turn the key lock to the right the seat unlocks. Why this,"technology" didn't carry over to the FJ09 or who knows how many other new bikes out there is beyond me. I'd bet that someone at Yamaha accounting dept. said they could save .25 cents to use a wire instead of a D-lock. JMHO....
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• Premium Member
My Yamaha 1976 XS 650C has a Helmet D-lock right with the same key lock for the seat. Turn the key lock to the left the D-lock unlatches. Turn the key lock to the right the seat unlocks. Why this,"technology" didn't carry over to the FJ09 or who knows how many other new bikes out there is beyond me. I'd bet that someone at Yamaha accounting dept. said they could save .25 cents to use a wire instead of a D-lock. JMHO....
I wear a Nolan N-104, so no D-rings to attach to. This is what I use to loop through the handlebar between the risers, through the face bar and then attach to the SW-Motech Engage tank bag zippers  to lock everything up. Carries right along in the tank bag.  http://www.twistedthrottle.com/bags-connection-luggage-security-cable-with-combination-lock?gclid=Cj0KEQiA3t-2BRCKivi-suDY24gBEiQAX1wiXHfksp1WPx89mBKDTgSQX0NXH--k_xvNb2QzXxvnnF0aAs2Q8P8HAQ  Won't stop a dedicated thief, but will  stop casual walk offs. 

Were I to want a helmet lock, I think I would buy one that's integral to the license plate frame. It would be less visually conspicuous than a handlebar mount, and it might help keep some of the rain out of the hanging helmet if you have a trunk and or rear rack.

If you google, there are multiple options of this style.

Were I to want a helmet lock, I think I would buy one that's integral to the license plate frame. It would be less visually conspicuous than a handlebar mount, and it might help keep some of the rain out of the hanging helmet if you have a trunk and or rear rack. 
If you google, there are multiple options of this style.
I looked at one of those as well.  First thing I did to my FJ was get a fender eliminator and integrated brake light.  I hate extra "junk in the trunk" :-)  The lock I looked that was off the license plate frame just looks too bulky IMO.  I'm going to order the Lidlox today.  I'll report back on how it works out. 
-Steve

Archived