Motorcycle cover

Hi all, I found this thread on the subject, but not a lot of info there.

I'm planning on buying an FJ-09 in a month or two, upgrading from a Honda CBR500R.  I don't have a garage so the bike will be outside 100% of the time; to that end I like to keep my bikes covered.

I used a medium (which is actually the smallest size) Nelson-Rigg Defender 2000 cover with my CBR which has held up extremely well over 3 years, but it definitely won't fit the FJ-09.  I was planning on getting another for the FJ, but I'm unsure which size.  Seems like either an "L" or "XL" based on their chart.

In any case, while I'm pondering that, does anyone have any other cover recommendations?  Anyone who currently uses a cover, any chance you could posting a picture of how well it fits (and list what cover it is) so I can compare to the Nelson-Rigg cover sizes?

• Premium Member
I think my cover is a Dewco Guardian XL (if I recall correctly)
Fits the bike very well, even with the saddlebags mounted.

I have a taller windscreen to install, that may change how far the front comes down over the front wheel. As is with the stock windscreen in the upper position it is already a snug/tight fit on the front end. Just something to consider if your going to get a taller one.

• Premium Member
The Dowco Guardian is made of a fabric that wont melt to your exhaust.
I didn't know that. I always let the bike cool down before covering anyways, but good to know!

It's hard to find any evaluation of bike covers, but I did find a couple posts/articles out there that seemed to give the nod to Dowco over Nelson-Rigg.

Dowco's website has size recommendations for specific bike models and they have "Large" as being the recommended size for the FJ-09.

quadnorth - Any chance you post a pic of your bike with the cover on?

Another recommendation for Dowco. I've used them before in the past for my other bikes and I bought the Dowco Guardian XL for the FJ-09. Large might cut it for stock but it would be tight. I strongly recommend getting the XL, as it allows wheel bottom to wheel bottom coverage and likely will allow for certain luggage types to fit as well (I can't confirm that yet as I'm waiting for all my Givi stuff to come in). I can try and take a picture tomorrow.

Thank you. For what it's worth, I do not expect to have panniers on for daily parking at my home. Not sure if I'll replace the windscreen at this early stage, but I'm shorter and for what limited time I spent on the bike at a couple test ride events, it seemed ok to me.

Only thing I'm concerned about with a larger cover is if it's too baggy and catches a lot of wind as a result.

• 2 months later...
Well I can now answer the question of fitment myself.  I ended up getting a size large Dowco cover as recommended by their site.

Second day I've owned the bike, and as you can see I already needed that cover.

Fits well, though it is a little awkward with the bars turned to the locking position.  Note I have a small tailbag on the pillion seat (which accounts for the hump).  I think you could still get this on with the panniers, but it would probably just barely clear their bottom edge, leaving a lot of the rear wheel exposed.
cover2_zpsfwittjsw.jpg

cover1_zpstw781hzf.jpg

• Premium Member
Yes I have the same Dowco cover, and even with my 6" taller windscreen and the panniers mounted, it still fits very nicely on the bike!

I Will try to remember to take a pic next time I put it on the bike.

My Nelson Rigg Defender 2000 (size  Large) fit my ZRX1100 and the FJ09 well.

Just FYI for anyone else reading this thread.  Never leaked or scratched the bike or windscreen.

• Premium Member

This is why I purchased my cover...

Sadly I didn't get around to putting it on before our wonderful Sunday morning weather!

(And on a cover related topic, in very windy conditions 80-90kmph gusting winds which we had here the other week the cover works like a parachute and I
came home to it leaning the opposite way against my trailer seen in the pic... luckily no damage, other than almost invisible marks on the pannier door)

OvBs-HYE84_9yPtn9hNmaK0kgp-k6n74igTQApxeHfQcVU1qTZzkwyFtaBn1CRC5FHDBgqaJfu3YVVJbgC1UGkB_DRVIOyA0_pqioydRITqjXVBSvOzKnfuO3oADfz0zktdZtiFLLmBr-KOxoFCrSvcRrSHRE8mfzLDxoaE9jVI74xb-xxsm9a-euD7RGr9lZ-FDc6jczSv2kSCtZ1Yftt0XUexnfsIwdTIj2ElEXPFnb4O8cPFKklQxOiN0fok-tiLyjyKZfrUii89SFPTpwASaSk-cx-jPyR2ugrf9JPJFiucvohvoJGIRYkmZzFB4idAkxp5oTzD7KHIcxZCqfvaayYzcchc9Q7O7Jzzwf4hCIywrRR8Ru_5YQTuGl2eNIux3eCozaxahiICrNgzBkoVGR_fMnBu6UXXG7qaLibbSHMNQvpSkhZSiCWRqWOz9JxtgRiG1CKT2tNDZb99N-A4Bj9gDsZturUHt5Z1Qpa4iob9Pd-CpeO4qOtUafWE5I1wyM_UEkuD1MRDfOYPN29FXs_u67qZcyKVFPW8H_9cT1dhTNe-rVVaDts32nzYIN_dTm37bnmS9Gp2XYLYp6FwNhMaNOSuM=w1320-h690-no

Archived