Adventuretech Auxiliary LED light bracket how to

ULEWZ

I'm looking at a 12" wide, 7 watt OSRAM 5d that has a spot beam in the middle 12 LED's, while the outer 6 on the sides are "fog" or wider beam.

The spot is 9 degrees, so very tight and focused.
The fog is 30 degrees on both sides, so you get some diffused light, and can send the spot down the road where you need it at higher speeds.

I've researched this style of lamp, and it was offered prior in 3 watt CREE, then 5 watt Osram with lenses, and now 7 watt Osram LEDS's that are even brighter than before.

The YouTube reviews of a guy mounting it on his Razor are pretty amazing. The Razor comes with LED lamps already, and this one light bar is brighter than all of them combined.

I wonder what traffic at night would think of it, but during the day? I just want to be seen, I don't care if my bike sears the retina's off SUV/TRUCK/VAN folks who are more worried about their coffee, snapchat or soccer game for the kiddies than paying attention to actually driving their huge vehicles.

They are just under 80 on ebay, and come with a wire loom/switch/relay that appears to work fine, wire it up right to the battery, and the relay to the switched power, and you are good to go. Lights go off when the key is off. On when you want it on, regardless of high/low beam setting.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can measure mine tomorrow for you. If you want them kept inside the forks, you'll need to drill the holes for the brackets, as the holes come predrilled on the outside of the mount. I had to drill holes for my light bar brackets. But I am unsure if you'd be able to tuck lights underneath the headlights. It sits pretty flush against that area, not leaving much room to stick a bolt up through and not have it rub the bottom of the headlight assembly.

I would use the mount, as others are, it is well made, and the price is right.

I think a 12" wide light will fit just fine.

Here is the light.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/168W-12Inch-OSRAM-5D-Lens-7watt-LED-Work-Light-Bar-Driving-Lighting-Truck-ATV-US-/262323667633?hash=item3d13b582b1:g:J8gAAOSwr7ZW3R~J&vxp=mtr

I figure I can slide the mounts over to fit the holes already provided? If that works, it will sit closer to the fairing and stock lights, while I can cut down the bolts if they are too long.
How wide are the bracket holes from side to side? Perhaps a wider light might work better if it's more than 12 inches, the light bar would not stick out more than those 6 led units do side to side, and have lights across the entire width, giving you the most light possible.

I was thinking if I wanted to mount lower lights, on the fender mounts/forks, I'd use these, vertically, and just drill out the bracket so the holes are where the stock fender mounts are, and then shim it straight with washers or cut down plastic spacers. (Use a belt sander to get them the right size, so the lights are straight up and down, and you mount the bracket, then the light covers the bolts holding the bracket and fender in place.)

They are pretty bright from the YouTube reviews, very tight spot beams, so you could put them side by side out a good distance, and not blind other traffic the light beam is so focused.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TUFF-STUFF-42-Watt-6-LED-LIGHT-BAR-SPOT-BEAM-WORK-LIGHT-6X-7-WATT-PHILLIPS-LED-/151651235416?hash=item234f1e3658:g:tusAAOSwKtVWvLVz&vxp=mtr

I can measure mine tomorrow for you. If you want them kept inside the forks, you'll need to drill the holes for the brackets, as the holes come predrilled on the outside of the mount. I had to drill holes for my light bar brackets. But I am unsure if you'd be able to tuck lights underneath the headlights. It sits pretty flush against that area, not leaving much room to stick a bolt up through and not have it rub the bottom of the headlight assembly.

Good info. Thanks. I'll probably give this bracket a try. The price is right.

My [strong]AdventureTech kit[/strong] comprising the mounting bracket (light-bar) and wiring loom arrived late today, just in time for a weekend’s work. I’m providing my own Cree front LED hi-viz lights. Ordered sixteen (16) days ago, not bad delivery to Oz.

I must say that the bracket is substantially more – well, [em]substantial[/em] – than I’d expected, being 32cm across (12.5”) and nicely-finished in black semi-gloss powder-coat. I suspect it’s made of aluminium as it’s not as heavy as steel would be given its decent ~4mm thickness.

The wiring loom is equally substantial, and I don’t know where I’m going to fit all the excess wire! Two switches came with it (at my request) one of which looks a bit flimsy, but I’ll hide it somewhere handy and leave the Cree LEDs switched on with the ignition.

Happy to post dimensions in case anyone wants to make their own, but frankly, for the reasonable cost I’d hardly think it worthwhile.

Installation notes later.

[em]Wordsmith – ’39 model – Brisbane, Queensland, Australia[/em]

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

How far apart are the light mounting holes? 
My thought is to use the 12" wide light bar, but If I have to go to 17" wide, to get it to fit, that's fine, it's more light. :)

29.5cm.   But it's a bugger of a thing to install - no room to easily insert bolts, washers, nuts.   Certainly not as simple and straightforward as Ulewz' one-liner suggested - 'position bracket under structure and secure'.   [em](No disrespect, Lew!).   [/em]Do not try this in a dark gloomy corner of your garage by the light of a flickering candle (or even a torch) - excellent light is essential. I got there, eventually, but it was a struggle.   Those with sausage-sized fingers had better round-up a youngster with slim pianist-type digits!   
Below is a pic of a dummied-up fitting of one Cree in place - nuts not tightened, etc., - just to see how it looks.   The dome-nut (Nyloc) on top of the mounting bolt will make it look a bit more 'finished'.   To bed now, to sleep, perchance to dream of wiring tangles on the morrow.
[em]Wordsmith - '39 model - Brisbane, Queensland, Australia[/em]http://i.imgur.com/fZ6PKHf.jpg

[em]W[/em]

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• 4 weeks later...
Hey,

I like that.  I had thought about making two different light bars.  One for the common single element lights and another for the bars of multiple lights.  I thought it might be better to snug the lights up closer to the fender, but the visual foot print from the front looks pretty darn good with the light hanging down as shown in the pictures.

Thoughts? 

Im interested in adding this light bar and switch for safety. Are there any recommended CREE lights that help make us more visible to soccer moms? Thanks!
Having installed a pair of small 2" dia CREE lights to my last few bikes I believe they are a worthwhile addition.   BUT - there are all sorts of fancy prices out there, so shop around.   My pair cost me AUD$32 shipped from Korea. I mounted them on an AdvTech lightbar and used their wiring kit (includes switch) which made the task relatively easy.
I posted some words and pix about this on the [em]'what did you do to your FJ today'[/em] Thread a few weeks ago - April 22nd to be exact.   I later extended the lightbar outwards a little and this allowed me to locate the Crees a bit higher and further out, for even better visibility.   We have soccer mums down here too!
Will try to find who I bought the lights from and will PM you if successful.
[em]W[/em]

• Premium Member
I ended up ordering this light. Got it for $60. Ill report back after everything arrives and I am able to install.
That's a lot of watts. My two LED lights are only 36 watts combined. Make sure you wire directly to the battery and switch it using a relay. I think the R/R can handle an additional 168 watts. Good luck.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Im an idiot. I didnt see it was that much wattage. Ugh. Back to the drawing board. I could use some suggestions so I dont repeat my mistake. Electrical is NOT my strong suit. I basically need a "this is what you do" deal for which lights and how to install.

Im an idiot. I didnt see it was that much wattage. Ugh. Back to the drawing board. I could use some suggestions so I dont repeat my mistake. Electrical is NOT my strong suit. I basically need a "this is what you do" deal for which lights and how to install.
If you buy the complete kit from AdvTech - light bar, wiring loom, LEDs - you'll find excellent easy-to-follow instructions on their website. You cannot possibly be more lectrically illiterate than I, and I managed it! 

Archived