Avon Storm 2 Ultra tyres

• Premium Member
You rarely hear people mention Avon tyres in this forum. They are made in the UK and popular this side of the Atlantic, especially with Triumph owners locked into the "Buy British" mantra.

So, a nail in the perfectly good rear Dunlop on the way to the tyre shop to get a new Dunlop Roadsmart 2 resulted in a bit of a squirm on a roundabout and 8psi in the tyre when I got to the dealer. There was no rear Dunlop in stock so I went with the Avon Storm 2 Ultra, with a pair being £180 fitted to the bike, including labour, valves & balancing. That's quite a saving on something like Bridgestone T30 or Michelin PR4.

On the 15 miles home they seemed okay but I did not push them obviously.

I'll run them through another heat cycle and then report back as I test them in different conditions.

Bought from http://www.chrismullins.co.uk/ 

Maker's website

storm%202%20Ultra.jpg?1304503376 

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Just looked at the massive strips of weights on the front wheel - there are 2 of those shown in the photo, one either side of the spoke, totalling 90g.

4399022.jpg  

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
After 2 heat cycles and over 50 miles the tyres seem pretty good for grip on cold, salty roads and on the very wet, slimey roads through a wooded area. Not tried them in the rain yet to test water dispersion but no worries over grip and as with all new tyres, they roll into corners much nicer than the worn front and very flat rear they replaced.

• Premium Member
Gave the new Avon Storm 2 tyres some good ragging in the Cotswolds today. Seem to grip well and turn in nicely on dry roads at 10C.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Tyres doing well in mixture of conditions in Europe. High speed in rain on a German autobahn or sunny curves on Ardennes roads.

Archived