Better intake sound with aftermarket air filter?

I understand that flow rates aren't reason enough to install an aftermarket air filter over the stock one, but do they change the intake sound of this bike? Anyone notice a difference? I am a watercooled Volkswagen nut, and one of the first mods I do to a new project is add an intake with aftermarket filter. If you've ever heard a VR6 engine at full song with an intake you'll know what I'm talking about. Glorious... I had a BMC filter in my gen2 FZ1, but haven't pulled the trigger on one for the FJ.

Thanks,

Mark
2016 FJ09
2011 VW GTI w/ 320whp
'16 FJ09 - Mivv Carbon Oval full exhaust¦MCCruise TBW/FJR switch cruise control¦Corbin seat¦GPR steering damper¦Givi D2122S windscreen¦MT-09 Adventure footpegs¦Motodynamic taillight/flushmount signals/fender eliminator¦OEM heated grips¦Shorty levers¦T-Rex sliders¦SW Motech Blaze bags¦KTM handguards¦Vibranators¦Grip Puppies¦CF fender extender¦Pyramid rear hugger extender

• Premium Member
You could try removing the large piece of foam under the tank first, to see if that makes a difference.

See this thread which describes removing the tank and shows the foam http://fj-09.org/thread/1239/removing-fj-09-ecu
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I put in the K&N cleanable air filter and didn't notice a change in tone. I left the foam in place because there was already a lot of debris around and in the airbox. Didn't want to let any more in by removing the foam.

Thanks for the input! I'll hold off on the air filter upgrade until the stock one needs replacing then.

Mark

'16 FJ09 - Mivv Carbon Oval full exhaust¦MCCruise TBW/FJR switch cruise control¦Corbin seat¦GPR steering damper¦Givi D2122S windscreen¦MT-09 Adventure footpegs¦Motodynamic taillight/flushmount signals/fender eliminator¦OEM heated grips¦Shorty levers¦T-Rex sliders¦SW Motech Blaze bags¦KTM handguards¦Vibranators¦Grip Puppies¦CF fender extender¦Pyramid rear hugger extender

Archived