Trying to figure something out

Ok so here in about a month I am going to buy my  FJ-09.  I went in to do another look and run the numbers with the dealership to get an idea what the picture would look like.  While waiting for the dealer they had 2 FJ's setting next to each other.  A red one with the bags and rack and a grey one with nothing on it.  Looking at them, the red one sat lower than the grey one did so I sat on it and it actually fit me pretty good.  Though I was on my tippy toes I could reach the ground with both feet.  I got on the grey one and there was no way, it obviously sat higher.  Both seats were at the same adjustment, I asked the dealer if the red one had the lowering link and he said it didn't.  The red one even had a softer suspension which confused me because if I was looking at the right thing, the suspension adjustment at the bottom of the rear shock was the same.  I know just adding bags and a rack is not that heavy so it can't be that.  What or why in the world is one lower than the other?  

• Premium Member
Probably the seat position. There are two. Oops, just reread your post. No idea. The bags are heavy though.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Those bags aren't that light. Probably and combination of the weight of the bags and the preload tightened up on one and not the other which would affect the sag (which is where the bike sits with no load). It could even be that they had different shocks (unlikely but possible). Outside possibility is that it was the rear shock from an FZ-09. Physically identical but different internals.

Another possibility: the grey one had the OEM comfort seat or the red one had the low seat?

Comfort seat is pretty obvious due to different cover material and stitching, but the low seat not so immediately obvious vs stock seat - at least from pictures, haven't seen one in person.

Archived