How happy are you with the fj 09

Thanks for the replies, I'd love to test drive one but not allowed up here  the other bike I was interested in was the super tenere Es and it sounds really good but It seems you would have to shift a lot more just to keep up with an fj and probably not as nibble in the corners and for me that's where all the fun is really, although Maybe I'm wrong
i think that triple is hard to pass up! Especially at its price! 
You are looking at the price of entry. The OEM suspension, levers and brakes are low budget and if you are thinking of sporty riding for a few years it needs work I am your height and weight and decided to try another bike rather than invest another $4000 US into a chassis I was not in love with. I did 8000 miles in a year with that wonderful engine but have moved on.  

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only thing I've put on my FJ-09 is a throttle lock (cheap cruise control). I'm 5'11", weigh 175, and the suspension and windscreen work perfectly for me. I admit I'm not the guy grinding down peg feelers, but after some adjustments, I'm happy with the OEM setup. It's 10X better than my last 2 bikes (DL1000 & CB1100).

Im putting 200-300 mikes a week on mine and it still makes me grin. There's dozens of professional reviews on the bike out there, and they all agree: this bike is outstanding. Especially when you consider the price.

I'd totally buy it again. I’ve been sleepless and bitchy for about a week, and then took the FJ for a 200km loop yesterday (to the border to pick up some Sidi Canyons) and slept like a baby last night. That engine is just amazing.

Sure, you need to add a few things (Ermax screen & Puig, luggage, throttle lock, etc in my case), but what you end up with is exactly what you want at the same price as the comparables. I figure on flashing the ECU and doing suspension when it needs a refresh, but for now, it's all smiles (its performance exceeds my abilities, but I'm expecting a Total Control course to bring us into better sync). I've been using it for daily commuting when the snow allows, but I'm starting to farkle for a cross country trip this year.

It's kind of fun to start with something solid but bare, and then add for your unique needs.

I find myself riding my other bikes more now and the FJ less. It's still fun, but after 5-6 hours of hardish riding (like yesterday)  I start to cringe when I see a bump ahead knowing it's going to give me a shot.

Fun motor though.

• Premium Member

I find myself riding my other bikes more now and the FJ less. It's still fun, but after 5-6 hours of hardish riding (like yesterday)  I start to cringe when I see a bump ahead knowing it's going to give me a shot.

Fun motor though.

So why not back-off the preload? Takes the harshness right out. 
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

adjusting the preload and rebound on the stock suspension did not get rid of the roughness on sharp edge bumps or the wallowing on gradual bumps. I've got a shock on order and my forks are off to Matt.

At least this bike started out much cheaper than my last two BMWs, which needed new shocks rear and front (telelever).

adjusting the preload and rebound on the stock suspension did not get rid of the roughness on sharp edge bumps or the wallowing on gradual bumps. I've got a shock on order and my forks are off to Matt. 
At least this bike started out much cheaper than my last two BMWs, which needed new shocks rear and front (telelever).
Reducing the preload did not solve anything for me either. 
After your upgrade please post what you got and how it's working for you.  txs, Bill

• Premium Member
The mods I've done so far are top case (SH-48), side cases (SH-36), and windscreen (Madstad 24). Also sliders etc. (T-Rex) (why don't bikes come with these things standard?). For me, the stock seat is actually perfect. Just the right firmness, and enough room to move fore and aft many inches, to vary hip and back angle. I might flash my ECU, but the longer I have the bike, the better my throttle technique, and the smoother I'm able to ride (whaddya know).

Stock, I'd say the suspension is adequate for my needs. It's not smooth like some bigger bikes I've ridden. Both ends can move around a little in corners on bad surfaces. But not alarmingly so. And I hardly ever corner above 6/10 or so on the street.

With extra "junk in the trunk" (side cases), I've felt like the ride smoothed out. So maybe it's actually set up for someone heavier? I will try backing off the preload.

I've enjoyed the FJ-09 greatly. Great representative of the new-ish "do (almost) everything" category. Relatively cheap to buy, cheap and simple to maintain, and probably reliable. For better and for worse, it's not exotic. But it is torquey, fast, light, handles great at low speeds, handles great at mid-high speeds, is stable, is comfortable for 1 or 2 people on decent-length trips, and sounds pretty good stock. And the traction control and ABS do what's needed and no more.

Motorcycle equivalent of a WRX? Inexpensive, reliable, pretty good at everything, punches above its weight.

You can get a BMW or a Ferrari if you like. As entertainment, some people might prefer them, but as fun and useful general transportation for short and medium distances, the WRX wins hands-down.

On the other hand, the price multiplier for WRX/Ferrari is 10x, and for Yamaha/Ducati is only 2x or so.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

I may want something different in a few years. Hopefully I'll have more storage space by then. FJ is too good all around--I don't see getting rid of it. Instead I might get something special-purpose to keep it company--maybe a lightweight dual sport, or a giant tourer, or an electric, or a tiny scooter. :-D

I'm pretty happy with my bike, but not until I made upgrades to the w/screen, added a tooth to the counter shaft sprocket, and spent $600-700 on suspension and $300 for CC. I had a re flash done and frankly for me I didn't notice any difference. Motor is phenomenal. I bought my bike used and what drew me to this model was the value for the $$$. I hope to have this bike for a few years. I usually keep a bike for 1 ½ to 2 yrs and try the next bike that catches my attention. Not sure I would buy this again. I have come to realize that fixing suspension is more work than I want to do unless I can get it fixed locally. These forks need more fixing than my local suspension people are capable of doing. So I will ship them to Forks by Matt and get them fixed once. With the suspension done and CC installed I’m looking forward for a 10 day trip this summer.

The mods I've done so far are top case (SH-48), side cases (SH-36), and windscreen (Madstad 24). Also sliders etc. (T-Rex) (why don't bikes come with these things standard?). For me, the stock seat is actually perfect. Just the right firmness, and enough room to move fore and aft many inches, to vary hip and back angle. I might flash my ECU, but the longer I have the bike, the better my throttle technique, and the smoother I'm able to ride (whaddya know). 
Stock, I'd say the suspension is adequate for my needs. It's not smooth like some bigger bikes I've ridden. Both ends can move around a little in corners on bad surfaces. But not alarmingly so. And I hardly ever corner above 6/10 or so on the street.

With extra "junk in the trunk" (side cases), I've felt like the ride smoothed out. So maybe it's actually set up for someone heavier? I will try backing off the preload.

I've enjoyed the FJ-09 greatly. Great representative of the new-ish "do (almost) everything" category. Relatively cheap to buy, cheap and simple to maintain, and probably reliable. For better and for worse, it's not exotic. But it is torquey, fast, light, handles great at low speeds, handles great at mid-high speeds, is stable, is comfortable for 1 or 2 people on decent-length trips, and sounds pretty good stock. And the traction control and ABS do what's needed and no more.

Motorcycle equivalent of a WRX? Inexpensive, reliable, pretty good at everything, punches above its weight.

You can get a BMW or a Ferrari if you like. As entertainment, some people might prefer them, but as fun and useful general transportation for short and medium distances, the WRX wins hands-down.

On the other hand, the price multiplier for WRX/Ferrari is 10x, and for Yamaha/Ducati is only 2x or so.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

I may want something different in a few years. Hopefully I'll have more storage space by then. FJ is too good all around--I don't see getting rid of it. Instead I might get something special-purpose to keep it company--maybe a lightweight dual sport, or a giant tourer, or an electric, or a tiny scooter. :-D

Trust me I don't want Subaru Reliability. Between head gaskets and motors prematurely exploding that would be a unreliable motorcycle. :)

• Premium Member

Trust me I don't want Subaru Reliability. Between head gaskets and motors prematurely exploding that would be a unreliable motorcycle. :)

I've never actually owned a Subaru so I shouldn't say...I just assumed they were reliable like other Japanese cars!

I've never actually owned a Subaru so I shouldn't say...I just assumed they were reliable like other Japanese cars!

Negative, They are a cool concept and always have premium safety features. Overall kind of a niche car for certain geographical areas. JD Power has removed them from all lists this year. They have had head gasket issues for years (could be causing the catastrophic failures). Head gasket issues may have been fixed but the newer motors eat oil. They are not as reliable as other Asian manufacturers cars and actually rank below Buick's and Cadillac's now in reliability (pretty sad).

I'm very happy with the FJ-09. Had a FZ-09 too. Have been riding a FJR1300abs for the past 11 years. Put heated grips on the FJ, made my own windshield and tail rack, using the OEM seat as it is okay. Did 26K last year, with no problems, including having the terrible noise, but it didn't seam to cause any problem. Can't say enough about it, pretty much just the way it is.[/img]

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

I'm very happy with mine. Turned 10,000 miles yesterday after buying it 9 months ago. Incredible motor, especially in A mode, and good ergonomics for me (6'2" , 210 lbs.) I have had many bikes, but have never had one that improved as much with a little time and break in as this one. When new, I thought that the suspension was a little harsh, and the seat uncomfortable. Wind protection from the stock screen is ok for  me with no buffeting, but loud. Motor was good when new, but not like it is after about 2,000 miles of break in. Now, after some time on the bike, the only mods I have made are grip buddies and a tailbag. The suspension improves with time, and even the seat seems fine, now after sitting on it for a while, (or maybe my butt has broken in to it.)   Would definitely buy it again.                                          

• Premium Member
I am very happy with my FJ, but I have dumped over 3k into it. I would buy it again - no question!. There is not bike better suited to me at $13,500, so I don't care that I had to spend that money. It's light, potent and comfortable.

Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

Archived