• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 54 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

How happy are you with the fj 09

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would I buy this bike again, knowing what I know now, after owning it for almost a year and a half and 8,500 miles? YES!!!

The FJ-09 has handling, power and comfort. Is this bike perfect? No, but what bike is. The windshield SUCKS. There are a lot of options for a replacement. The seat I did not bother me. Stock suspension is ok. Did I upgrade it? Yes, but I do that on almost every bike I own. There are all kinds of changes and upgrades to tailor this bike to what you want it to be.

In the canyons it can play with the sport bikes. Put some luggage on it and head out with the touring bikes, you will find, it's happy there to. Ride it to work or a quick trip to the store. It's the best all around motorcycle I have ever owned. It does everything I ask it to and does it very well. I one thing I don't do is take it off road. It's not made for that.

Hope this helps.

Kurt

• Premium Member
I love this bike! (although it's not perfect)

The bike is good for so many things: Windy roads, Freeway, Commuting, Daily errands, you name it. Relatively low cost bike with the performance of a much more expensive ride. It does need modifications, but because the bike has such a wide range, the mods you want/need may be very different than mine. It all depends on how you are going to use it. The good thing about the FJ is that you can do it all with one bike, rather than having to buy several to do everything you want. And not much compromise for any of the uses

I would absolutely buy this bike again. I'm a bit smaller than you (5' 10" tall, 32" inseam, 160 lbs) and thus far have no complaints about the seat, suspension, or windshield. In fact, I have made no modifications whatsoever from bone stock.

I plan to add the Yamaha hard cases, grip heaters, and a radiator guard in the near future. I have no plans to replace the windshield or seat. In fact, I feel like my seat stock is just as good as the Corbin I had on my SV650S (dating back to 2003).

I have read complaints about the suspension. Perhaps I am not a discerning enough motorcyclist but it has been just fine for the riding I do. I'm not usually scraping peg feelers though. Nor do I ride two up.

I have read complaints about the suspension. Perhaps I am not a discerning enough motorcyclist but it has been just fine for the riding I do. I'm not usually scraping peg feelers though. Nor do I ride two up.
Same here.  The seat and windscreen complaints I understand, but I guess I'm just not a good enough rider to realize what's wrong with the suspension. 
I'm coming from a bike that was built to a price and also had suspension that people complain about (CBR500R), so maybe I just don't know what good suspension is supposed to feel like.

I have ridden a Ducati Hyperstrada during a demo and I can't say it felt notably different, but I wasn't exactly exploring the bike's limits there.

• Premium Member
My 2cents. 6'1, 270lbs. I love this bike. Fun in the twisties, fun on the highway. Upgrades, IMO are a very personable thing. Some people want a new suspension, mine is just right. Some people want a new seat, I agree with that, but mostly because I ride year round as a commuter and getting stuck in traffic sucks when the seat is uncomfortable, plus I want a heated seat. Everything else so far, for me, has been farkles. Would I buy again? Yup. For the price print + accessories (I want), it's still way south (pricewise) of the full on touring bikes, plus I get to customize it look wise.

I have bought an FJ again. My first was a lemon, dealer couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start often. Anyway my 2016 seems fine so far. You do get what you pay for. I have tested the BMW S1000XR and R1200RS and my FJ back to back. Those two bikes are much more composed, solid, faster, etc... Where those bikes really shine in my option is in their electronics. Both BMWs had electronic suspension and feel very smooth very planted at any speed. None of the harshness I get from the FJ suspension. My biggest shock was the brakes. All the bikes have ABS but not all ABS is created equal. In extreme brake tests, not only would the BMWs stop much quicker, they do so with zero drama. Whereas the FJ under numerous extreme braking tests the rear tire of the FJ would loft about a foot in the air while stopping as fast as possible. You may also experience bar shake during braking on the FJ. The TC systems are also much more rudimentary. That said, Im ok with paying half and getting half the bike. I do so thinking the maintenance and reliability will be a lot less on the FJ.
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2007 Yamaha Vstar 1300 - sold
2008 Kawasaki Versys - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2010 Yamaha Raider - sold
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 - lemon back to dealer
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

Archived