Engine temperature on the FJ

Hey everyone
I'm interested to hear from everyone on what their reported running temperature is. I'm in the US so I'll be using Fahrenheit numbers :)

Typically if I'm cruising on the freeway, my engine temp is about 100* higher than the ambient temperature. So if it's 55* my engine will be somewhere between 150-60. I noticed recently while lane splitting in 2nd gear in the 30mph range, the temperature climbed up to 190 or so when it was about 60 outside. And of course city riding, stop light to stop light, the temps will climb as well. This makes me wonder what kind of temps I'll have the hot summer months. 

After having the ECU flashed, the fan kicks on somewhere near 200*. It sounds like I may be stuck with the fan constantly running during the summer time, which seems annoying. Has anyone tried running Engine Ice or other aftermarket coolants to lower the engine temps? 

• 2 weeks later...
It's definitely worth a shot to try and swap out the coolant. You can also mail your ECU back to 2 wheel dynoworks and they can change when the fans kick on and off. 200 is totally fine, its when you get in the 230+ range that it becomes a problem. And at that point you have other problems. Also I'd rather replace a fan than an engine.

• 2 years later...
I am curious too. I regularly see 200 deg F plus just sitting in traffic. It does drop right away after I get moving. Seems a bit high but I am sure it could go well above 210-215 and still not be a problem.

What are some others seeing for typical temps while idling in traffic and underway?

I am curious too. I regularly see 200 deg F plus just sitting in traffic. It does drop right away after I get moving. Seems a bit high but I am sure it could go well above 210-215 and still not be a problem. 
What are some others seeing for typical temps while idling in traffic and underway?

I saw as high as 215  a couple of times and that's in MAINE fer cryin' out loud!  Yeah, it was hot and humid (90's on both scales) but that makes me shudder to think what the guys in places like Texas and Arizona see. 
I had the fan set point dropped when I had the ECU flashed.  Haven't ridden on a really hot day but haven't seen anything over 20x this year, and I've had the fan running when I pulled into the garage a couple of times.

Yea, 200F is normal in traffic. Gets there quick. I live in rural Missouri with minimal traffic, but wait two cycles at a stop light and sure enough, I'm at 205F or more!

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
When I changed my antifreeze the temperature of the engine went down quite a bit. If any of you that are experiencing high temperatures and haven't changed your antifreeze recently, I would start there.

So far this summer I've  been seeing 200+ on most rides when the bike is at a standstill. Once it is moving and air is flowing temps drop quickly. On a recent 600-mile ride in 90 degree wx I saw 215 briefly at a stop light.

Which makes we wonder...  where is the temp sensor in the cooling system? And because of its location might it give artificially high readings?

The FJ radiator is BIG and quickly drops coolant temp once underway or when the fans come on.

And the little FJ throws off a lot less heat than my old ST 1300.

I actually don't display the temp any more cause it's a distraction to riding!

cb

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

since im a 3rd shifter, my temps stay under 180° most nights/mornings... usually see 200-210° at the drag strip...

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Just an FYI, I used to use tape on the front of the radiator to regulate the temp of my race bikes since there was no thermostat. Cold days needed more tape, hot days - no tape. It reduces the frontal area of the radiator and warms things up. It is pretty common to have no thermostat on a race bike. Better flow, I guess.

For what it’s worth, my Ninja 1000 ran the same way. Modern bikes have to run hot to burn off exhaust gases collected in the huge cats to meet more stringent emissions controls.
The annoying thing about the Kawi was that the temp gauge was a linear bar gauge, meaning that every time the temp fluctuated even a bit, the gauge would move up or down. And you can’t turn it off. So it bounces up and down and gets very annoying/distracting. I would have rather a non-linear gauge (like in most modern cars) or an actual temperature readout like on the FJ/Tracer...especially one that can be “turned off”.

Archived