Test rode a Versys 1k Today...

Cruizin

• Premium Member
Very nice bike! Refined drivetrain, good ergonomics, great brakes, good suspension and seat! An excellent package right out of the crate. I think @rogerc got it right by just buying both the FJ-09 and Versys 1K! That being said there's NO question now in my mind that I made the right decision when I bought the FJ-09. It simply has more character and puts a smile on my face. Nothing like riding both bikes back to back to appreciate the greatness of both. You simply can't go wrong choosing either. I could opine all night the strengths of one over the other, but I think this sums it up best.
Devil-Angel.png

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

I test rode a versys a few days after I bought my FJ. I was very pleased to know that I made the right choice. While a very nice bike it just lacked in the excitement factor. It felt heavy and slow compared to the FJ. I actually much preferred the 650 to the 1k in back to back rides.

I just got back from Daytona Bike Week where me and my pal demo'd quite a few bikes. Concours 14, Versys 1k and 650, DL1k, Victory Octane, Victory Empulse, and more. Two things really stood out: The FJ is QUICK. Even the C14 felt slow in comparison. The FJ has the best ergonomic setup I've ever ridden. Around town or on the highway, it fits me better than any bike I've ever ridden.

BTW: of you get a chance to ride an Empulse, take it. It has Ohlins suspension, Brembo brakes, and an amazing motor. You twist the grip and fly through the corners. Too bad they're nearly $20k, I'd love to own one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I test rode a versys a few days after I bought my FJ. I was very pleased to know that I made the right choice. While a very nice bike it just lacked in the excitement factor. It felt heavy and slow compared to the FJ. I actually much preferred the 650 to the 1k in back to back rides.

That's exactly how I feel. The 650 Versys is a very good choice for every day commuting at a very good price. It was fun to ride but doesn't have the excitement of the FJ09. The Versys 1000 is a rock solid touring bike but just seemed boring to me.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

Archived