Adding an accessory mounting bar?

Spring is here in the north east and riding has begun!

I have a gps and a radar detector, but mounting to the handle bars isn't that great, I'd like them to be more up front and higher.

A bunch of adventure bikes have a bar that comes up over the dash for mounting stuff, How hard would it be to do something like that on the FJ-09?
Bending up a bar wouldn't be too much of an issue, just finding a good spot to anchor it to I think would be the tough part...

Side note, Don't have your ECU flashed when your bike is in storage for the winter.
It's hard to do a side by side comparison as I forgot what riding it was like...  
I didn't really notice much difference flashing the ECU other than the speed limiter being removed.  :(   The throttle still seems way too snatchy. Its was way less snatchy on any of my other bikes...

Not bad, But I'd want the accessories to be above the main display. That one still looks like they would be too far forward still... 
Something like the guy in this video has.

It's been done here. A guy welded a piece of flat steel with a bend to the windscreen mount and mounted the gps to that so it sits above the dash. I looked to see if there's a way to bolt something up but there's very little room unfortunately.

It's possible to mount a ram mount on the metal screen support. Take off the screen and the plastic panel behind and you'll see the metal bracket that supports the screen.
Use the ram mount but rather than the u-bolt for the handlebars, just use a combination of nuts and bolts and washers, or if you can get a metal plate and drill it. Any way of clamping the mount to the bracket. There should be room, and your sat nav will sit above the clocks nicely

You mean like this?
P1315208_zpsmitv6qtk.jpg
RAM also has a twin ball mount. You could get both devices up high and forward. The install of the RAM mount on the windshield support is rather easy. The install is even better if you have access to a method to thin down the RAM mount just a bit. A bolt and a screw into the RAM mount and its a very solid install. A quick glance down gets you access to all the import info.
Here is the mount I modified for my install.
31Ch4vlUDyL.jpg

Not the best picture quality...bike is tucked away in the corner...but you can get the gist of it. The first pic shows the space available. The second one you can see the bolt through the mount into the windscreen support. I cut the little ears off mine when I installed the VStream. There is one larger bolt carrying the load. I have a second small self tapping screw through the bracket into the mount to preclude any possible rotation of the RAM on the bracket.
P3165254_zpsnadrpubv.jpg

P3165261_zpsng3fogqi.jpg
RAM makes a double ball, same mount. You can have you GPS right next to your electronic counter measures. I used to run counter measures, sadly laser has given the boys in blue the advantage.

The mount in the top pic may be long enough to peek out from behind the gauges...the 2nd one...a tad short and I doubt workable in that space. That being said...RAM has quite a selection for one to choose from and I am sure one or more will work.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
The install of the RAM mount on the windshield support is rather easy. The install is even better if you have access to a method to thin down the RAM mount just a bit. A bolt and a screw into the RAM mount and its a very solid install. A quick glance down gets you access to all the import info.
31Ch4vlUDyL.jpg
I moved my GPS from the handlebars to above the instrument cluster like yours and I like it a lot better there. You don't have to take your eyes so far off the road to see the GPS.

I used a RAM Motorcycle Brake/Clutch Reservoir Base with 1" ball. It is not bolt-and-play like the handlebar mount. It requires drilling into the windscreen mounting bracket in order to attach the RAM mount to the bracket.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

The install of the RAM mount on the windshield support is rather easy. The install is even better if you have access to a method to thin down the RAM mount just a bit. A bolt and a screw into the RAM mount and its a very solid install. A quick glance down gets you access to all the import info.
31Ch4vlUDyL.jpg
I moved my GPS from the handlebars to above the instrument cluster like yours and I like it a lot better there. You don't have to take your eyes so far off the road to see the GPS.

I used a RAM Motorcycle Brake/Clutch Reservoir Base with 1" ball. It is not bolt-and-play like the handlebar mount. It requires drilling into the windscreen mounting bracket in order to attach the RAM mount to the bracket.

Sorry to be naive, I'm not too experienced with fabricating/modifying things. Can you explain in a little detail how you modified the mount? Did you just run a hole Thru the ram mount and another hole Thru the windscreen bracket and run a long bolt thru both?  Thanks
'15 FJ-09 - Candy Red. Mods: Cruizin cruise control, Givi D2122S WS & crash bars. Rivco anti-vibration highway pegs. Yamaha rear rack & softbags. RAM mount X grip at handlebar bolts. Shorty levers. Tail assembly shortened. FZ6 rubber pegs.
'05 Honda CRF450r
'77 Honda CB550f Super Sport

• Premium Member
Only modification I made was to drill a hole close to the center of the mount.
Then drilled two holes in the metal plate behind the windscreen to align with the mount holes.

Sorry, I don't have a better pic. but once you have it apart, it is easy to figure out.
The curve on the mount could have a grinder taken to it to help it sit flat on the metal bracket.    

yq89VCO98sU1oBJn39eONXf23mcEgy51G8jJKz9ytfINI1Irz1GzjdAYFo-jv0Fne-fcY3G5BQzKdQrtoT_LoZYJtxtIljPu1WMkT_x4bQ_ggMLAPWy0l88aimynyJu9BetriE1QSJXYVP78DgdyaIlLCRBd41s0ZztUZwtMv35XmRd6XqicGktxL8KAikx-mKNqYLw9RLwl1Bw0K1Q6KToRVKkDbkBhVoHgwQm6BrToKi2N9KrzhdlQ3GiHAPc6NDOs0uC4v4TDnfykjsxNKUKV9N7Z9cUeP588opQmiq3BY7tJPhQlFVURwrIprEAbZ29UM_Dj5xRjNnOxtjC8B8edxuJNZKPFh1CrrEZ-EFKK1WwEBJ6yBZ6yu1KNE9R8iV3zxKvfwxv0YPAaOoWoAEKK1xxxADqkxDtq-yyBj8vglzBtRIKVhgI0KXeQc8S0-byQtFJgka--fpTilcaf59zfSli8mq4VvTa37UXLrM7VLMNulDi9XpHtuJ95WsltQqUjhEUGDtckydrPBZnygoYiHSIgr8diDukk0q3UCoCTFRYWdINNSfCyC1UtBJ52i2NPBQ=w362-h643-no

Wqv59OhbIIIHZ-7fyfQ8k70BRewYc5NE7HevnXrHLJESTf4VCg6wZ2ulC73tgwHyexJij81Vya-wfIiNGXsgSjpJpzHVgx9cHeCAEVJezyiOaD4XCnbsge_3iPb9tfLNarGCHwSUznSUY40Tc4zprcUEitPstHVhmO-gbH5e2OpHlB3Gd76bdnKuDKcjVMQOgYMLlj68g0omi90J_zSP1iZvW3SpqHMqEoNxhkCUGM8Ii0yqvpliCQscmLCm05ol0psI875bhdVWdSh21Baox3Z8HZifGu-z6RYYrJrlzrKRtJg2zcOF6ifNwLb0pc0cT1Njqqge9CwDIpFs9d-VzygE9rFr5R9y69Wgg1RJRhd-3zfdfDQCh3MUXWNXkAl5Ni_qX_4QhWh-oC6YYLoz4aZIBuHw-r9ZuyqfPkOkwACt4JPnHP66qgmCycINFTArfoWbgRWZtRD-_7ktn2HkbXg2OaMdAmP_bpYPhRJ0K1ug5tuISTSdHWOaS40fREJ1oowTw_TnBY0mRN9XSV8DEnk6ypR9LKVSfcqKuh797p2R_iugm2Qe5synvHzsM2URDAW6sQ=w1000-h563-no

0y91btZiK_hiE1qS5HCKl5HujLlcK83eGK8DwqCwCU0GiqsASWLFciGQk-dzS-MGz4Z5ildvG37yrwGe7XVOX8WOnKpqMSPRqyFzS6LHJcV7i0zpSrMBLn7uFg8-gMFQxqVhUqQ-BTeYzub7I2U4aeTq0aqSPL9kVH6i24DbbUdCv-fTFGsSn7kbXaYtIXfWoybWNKkdHUyRCFo2zt2lAW7QWD-1AhheYc4pwbdvOIKUF_CVSPIoI7j6Oo_fboM6EaThmJdNghVDzoZeSO3_tqFYyX-gStgVMaH_F7Z1iAvBK7dPG6c2G5ivNqQcby_S6fWdOzTj3yZYVVo357lcHEI-baOo7i4HK-GWCfL-a2fnLKMMd-5-DVaoCOrxwj7cgWqR4mPYu_tTj13mRs9NRI6JAENkFR2k13NrjDRgmCZkUHtTufqZigu3RWH5IkBn4q_Zn-Tv2s4mnXGsI-NxaFsP9ZTwU20fLNWiK6Ub7Zsq0iFmHedpjXrc4nxRnDF2Icmofg76TLmxgu0E-DyD7EMysowQAejE0kpnJbDZ3LXPvedPseqz-K-IB-g3xeMHbYJ-kA=w1000-h563-no

GTn0i8-2UjBhq4xA3sGO8P40HausHoRtPG1acVcH9MTZ-fOmYCuKQftHY1rJm74RLxiUkHp2TgqspVJYGQxSj-iykRQLsw-EKnr16E8jaM8YCvH6Nlt5ONUvf014LNEmGj7o6ppGGrDyWxe3wnPPkhj1jeZ4vqBGnkCfSBhJWP9YuR567OP81eyMO3yr3G-TCJW9aEvchsYXQQEM9TJASLiykdwq1_8iGJt4NvsyszVKs71RXlX6qiaoEYfOj4OQmLHOWRUzLjDdbixH5W7ZFDwuqmLY88ntd6-nkRzTRRKiDEJ-A4bvyFhdZnYKV26xUeoju-3IyRStKIQmm1t-QI7u0GRMezA_hUl7-M2d-_IKo8sGYMAdYUqxPZ8-3J2NGn1j0NbAocUvhLs4gjO4Ctm6xuQruuO5vnBV5BugrwYN4zTLdXTfFKj_iQQ96CI7h-EwA1ubjtgLYz6hwyAgzH3wYkR3rwwm3e5aaf1-e7p65TvnWucPauK-P9lG6ZBtxS4Ezs06GatMI4ojmFA8LU2yDsWu2hX-Q_WyHEaJuSVxA_FIKLV_iFVMwlf4xJUgmj5rHw=w1000-h563-no

Archived