New Bike

Hi All,
Thanks for those who provided info on my thread Here on the differences between the '15 & '16 years. I ended up getting a good deal on a used '15, 2k miles, 5yr extended warranty. Traded in my Z1000 on the spot. It does have the oil drain plug on the bottom, so I will get an updated pan if I find that ground clearance is an issue.  Looks to be stock with exception of frame sliders. I don't have any modification plans at this point. Possibly another seat and fender eliminator is it. As threads are useless without pics:

IMAG2490_zpskuoavwzu.jpg

The Z I traded in:

IMAG2477_zpscsepgtji.jpg

'15 FJ-09 (Red) - DIY OEM Tidy Tail - Updated Oil Pan

Congratulations!  My FJ is a red '15 as well.  I don't intend to do any off-roading more serious than gravel roads, so I'm not concerned about the oil pan/drain plug fix... but I cannot recommend the OEM heated grips highly enough.  Overall I couldn't be happier with the bike so far, so I hope your ownership experience is similar  :)

Out of curiosity, how does the FJ stack up against the Z1K you traded in?  I know the bikes weigh about the same, but I'm wondering if the Z felt significantly quicker than the FJ with around +30 HP and +150 CCs.  I havent ridden any proper 1000cc sport bike so I'm just wondering what the performance disparity is, and if you miss it.

Cheers!

Congrats on the new bike. I just bought one myself, also 2015 in red. I am sure the hooligan will find a good home.
Thanks! Congrats to you as well. How do you like it so far? 

Congratulations!  My FJ is a red '15 as well.  I don't intend to do any off-roading more serious than gravel roads, so I'm not concerned about the oil pan/drain plug fix... but I cannot recommend the OEM heated grips highly enough.  Overall I couldn't be happier with the bike so far, so I hope your ownership experience is similar  :) 
Out of curiosity, how does the FJ stack up against the Z1K you traded in?  I know the bikes weigh about the same, but I'm wondering if the Z felt significantly quicker than the FJ with around +30 HP and +150 CCs.  I havent ridden any proper 1000cc sport bike so I'm just wondering what the performance disparity is, and if you miss it.

Cheers!

Thank you! The red certainly seems to be a very nice color. I have no intention of off-roading with mine either so it may be a non-issue. I do like to ride as much into the season as I can, so I will add the heated grips to my "wish list". Appreciate you mentioning them. 

As far as comparing the two, some very different animals. The Z was a monster, you could twist the throttle up through 4th and the front wheel would want to be off the ground. It did ride like a brick on a good day and the seat was awful. The bike was a ton of fun riding at the limit, but not great below there. Also, because of low gearing and the lack of a windscreen, highway manners were poor at best. The Z was more of an "impulse" buy for weekends when I still had my VFR. I had since, let the VFR go and was daily riding the Z which made me dislike it for my use.

I just picked up the FJ this Saturday, so I have yet to really play around with the driving modes but is seems like a much more subdued animal. I was hoping to get something comfortable for daily use, with enough power to still get out of it's own way. I think I found it with the FJ. Looking forward to putting many miles on it. Thanks again for the welcome.

Thanks! Congrats to you as well. How do you like it so far?
Honestly, I rode it home from the dealer and it's been perched on the dolly in my garage since. The weather's been lousy, so best I can do for now is dream and gawk at it each evening with a wide smile on my face.... I am so excited. Enjoyed the 15km ride back from the dealer though. The bike is gorgeous.
I just saw your other thread and didn't realize you meant literally the other day. Looks like a beauty! I really like the top case you got. I should see if my current tail bag will fit. Hum, may check that out tonight and report back. 

I too am waiting for the weather to clear up. Hopefully tomorrow I can slap on come cold weather gear and take it to the office at least.

It warmed up to 40F this morning, with daytime temps around 60F, so I decided to take the bike to work. I must say, that I enjoy it more and more with every ride!. I am encountering the 4500-5000 RPM bar "buzz" if you will that was mentioned in this post HERE. I'm sure I just need to get used to the mechanics and vibrations associated with a Tripple vs. a 4 cyl. Otherwise she is smooth as silk. I have yet to play around with the driving modes, but I may set it to "A" for the ride home and see how it is. I also got a chance to throw my old Rapid Transit tail bag on there last night and it fits like a glove! Now I can ditch the backpack on rides to work. 

Tail Bag:

IMAG2502_zpseazalc4i.jpg

I've had an in line twin, and an in line 4 cylinder. I just picked up a matte gray FJ two days ago and am very pleasantly surprised by how smooth the triple is! I absolutely love the sound...and the torque!
Congrats on your new bike! I've been dying to get out and ride mine - but we just go some snow yesterday....

Congrats. I like the red, looks really nice...I bought grey, but only because its quicker ;-p
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

Archived