FJ-09 does 200 miles on a tank easily

Guest livininvic

This bike is now getting 47.1 MPG and easily went over 200 miles on a tank today. It didn't start blinking at me until 192 miles. This was accumulated riding in the mountains of NC. Such an impressive touring bike that can carve up the twisties and keep you comfortable doing so all day long. Wow.....just wow! 200miles.jpg47miles.jpg

What the heck! I can't even get close to that. Mine starts blinking at 230 KM's which is about 142 miles. Eco light is basically on all the time too since I'm still in the break-in period. I have about half the mileage you do on the ODO, does it get substantially better after the first couple tanks? I'm not thrilled with the range on mine at all yet.

This bike is now getting 47.1 MPG and easily went over 200 miles on a tank today. It didn't start blinking at me until 192 miles. This was accumulated riding in the mountains of NC. Such an impressive touring bike that can carve up the twisties and keep you comfortable doing so all day long. Wow.....just wow! 47miles.jpg

I have found that the computer doesn't always tell the truth. For general purposes it is good and can help you make it to the next gas station when you are running low and have to stretch out the fuel. On my FZ-09 I was looking at 64.3 mpg but after filling the tank only recorded 57.8 mpg. That is a 6.5 mpg difference. Over a 800 mile ride I was always showing above 57 mpg but average was only 54 mpg. That's not bad as it is about -5% vs. the one tank that was 10% off. Now there is nothing I would like to hear more than that the FJ is spot on, but we need to compare the actual gallons used to fill the tank to divide into the miles traveled to get exact numbers to compare. Right now my FJ is running slightly below 44 in the first 550miles. My FZ also ran around 39-45 for the first 2500 miles then it seemed to start getting 47 at each fill up then a 1000 miles later it was 51 with the last run of numbers around 5000 miles was 49-54. It seems to only get better. My FJR did the same. And for some reason it can still only get 35mpg. Wonder why? ;) 

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

What the heck! I can't even get close to that. Mine starts blinking at 230 KM's which is about 142 miles. Eco light is basically on all the time too since I'm still in the break-in period. I have about half the mileage you do on the ODO, does it get substantially better after the first couple tanks? I'm not thrilled with the range on mine at all yet.
FigJam-  Not to worry, it will get better.  That is based on past experience, not testing.   Mfr. says the bike will get 45mpg.  I think it will do less than the FZ, but I hope it will do the 200miles with .4-.5 left in the tank while just traveling cross country +5-8mph.  In a recent planning trip to Colo. I looked at 200 miles between fill up and found it to be a really good number to work with.  Having 1/2 gallon left in the tank allows you to stretch it to 220.  A second note here is mpg and the altitude in which you are ridding.  I get around 42-46 here in OR and WA on my FJR but once I raise above 3000 feet I will get 45-53mpg while touring.  It still only get 35-40, any altitude if I am on the throttle in the twisties, and expect it  will be the same with the FJ.

FigJam-  Not to worry, it will get better.  That is based on past experience, not testing.   Mfr. says the bike will get 45mpg.  I think it will do less than the FZ, but I hope it will do the 200miles with .4-.5 left in the tank while just traveling cross country +5-8mph.  In a recent planning trip to Colo. I looked at 200 miles between fill up and found it to be a really good number to work with.  Having 1/2 gallon left in the tank allows you to stretch it to 220.  A second note here is mpg and the altitude in which you are ridding.  I get around 42-46 here in OR and WA on my FJR but once I raise above 3000 feet I will get 45-53mpg while touring.  It still only get 35-40, any altitude if I am on the throttle in the twisties, and expect it  will be the same with the FJ.

Thanks for that. I'm in Victoria, BC so same altitude as you. Guess I just have to hope for good weather and finally put some good miles on it!

FigJam-I am at 800 miles today and the gas mileage seems to be doing better based on the computer. My first 5 fill-ups after the initial fill have gone like this: 42.63mpg, 40.58, 39.54, 47.78, 48.07. I believe the last one was influenced by me investigating riding in the twisties where at recommended 30mph corners and higher I used 6th gear and ran at above 50mph vs my normal dropping the gears to 3rd or 4th and powering out. ON the 20--25 corners I still dropped the gears. Made for a more relaxed ride and the computer indicated I was getting better mpg. The computer says my combined average is 45.6. Up 1.4 after today's 200 miles.  My actual mpg average is 43.08.

• Premium Member
hell - my BEST tank on the FJR was 180 miles..... FJ09 alredy better....
You must ride harder than I do (and that is fast). I could always get 200 miles. The meter would flash at about 180, but it is hugely optimistic. A guy at work with an FJR1300 drove until the bike ran out of gas. I think he said it was 250 miles!!! 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Guest eatpasta
You must ride harder than I do (and that is fast). I could always get 200 miles. The meter would flash at about 180, but it is hugely optimistic. A guy at work with an FJR1300 drove until the bike ran out of gas. I think he said it was 250 miles!!!
whoa!  Yeah im usually pretty conservative with the whole reserve tank thing when it comes to a bike I dont much fancy pushing more than across my garage....     .....and yes I do get a little enthusiastic with the throttle.  Plus freeway cruising speed is 80+ so....

• Premium Member
whoa!  Yeah im usually pretty conservative with the whole reserve tank thing when it comes to a bike I dont much fancy pushing more than across my garage....     .....and yes I do get a little enthusiastic with the throttle.  Plus freeway cruising speed is 80+ so....

I ride pretty conservative also: (notice the highway peg fell down!!!) That is with the back end jacked up using the shock. 
729b7262-1e71-4dea-875f-a72fc424e77e_zps397749a3.jpg

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Guest eatpasta

I ride pretty conservative also: (notice the highway peg fell down!!!) That is with the back end jacked up using the shock. 
729b7262-1e71-4dea-875f-a72fc424e77e_zps397749a3.jpg

Turn 8 at Streets of Willow?

My best on the FJR was 301.  Many FJR owners in the Rockies and SW mountains get that kind of mileage all the time.  My flashing comes on between 195-260, but figure on average 220.  I figure 50 miles after reserve flashes because once I ran out at 52 miles, and have gone 63 miles.   That was the only time I ran out of gas.  I average 206 between fill ups.  My info is based on what I put into a little APP on the phone called Mileage since Mar. 2013.  The FJ on the other hand is getting 43.07 average, and I was getting 48 yesterday.  We took a day ride up SR14 WA to SR141 to Trout Lake, then over to Glenwood and down to the Klickitat back to the Gorge.  We stopped for gas at Lyle, at 137 miles, 2.85 gals and I recorded 48.07mpg.  I have to admit, that I really couldn't get on it because the roads were covered with sand, therefore good mileage.  This is all that I ask for when traveling across the country, 48-50mpg.  I expect it to get better and as the man says "200 miles on a tank easily". :) 

Guest eatpasta
California gas is so crappy. I used to get 45-50 mpg on the GS out of state and 35-40 in state - wouldnt it be better to use higher quality gas and not use so much of it??

It doesnt help that I ride like a maniac but hey - thats why I ride

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Fuel mileage update, last tankful :

20 miles city.
150 miles medium hard twisties. ( with a few full throttle blasts )
32 miles freeway, 70-75mph.

Hit reserve at 180 mi. Rode it till I reached 202 mi. (reserve trip meter  "F" read 22 mi. traveled  )

Put in 4.447 gallons. That equals 45.43 mpg. Fuel mileage display read 46.8 mpg. If the bike holds exactly 4.8, I could have gone 218mi max.

I'd say that was an average tank for me. I've gotten low to high 40's typically. Happy with this bike's range. thumbup111.gif

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

Forget about it. Don't even worry about MPG's until the engine is well broke in (1000m). That is why it is recommended to NOT do any engine performance upgrades (exhaust/air filter) until after break in. If you break it in per Owners Manual you will get as advertised.

Archived