Rear Rack

cameron12x

Good choice Cameron12X, I too think the smaller JCW trunk is better looking.  I set the larger one on my tail rack and it looked too big.  The FJR side bags look too big too, but sometimes you have to haul stuff and they will be useful.  Mean while, as much as I love my large JCW trunk, I will be using a tail bag of 24L-30L.  Already have it and two others smaller ones.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

<snip> 

I have been using a $50 JCWhitney top box for the last 8 years.  I has been performing Excellent.  I  painted the top lid to match the bike and it looks great.  Not as refined as the Givi or Shad but it does the job.  All these top  boxes look to big on the FJ, IMO.  Had to add that bit on personal aesthetic opinion.  Based on putting one of my 46 liter top boxes on the rear rack.  Side bags look to big too.  I will ride with a smaller tail bag most of the time, only using the side bags when on trips.  Pic of a JCWhitney top box painted to match bike on a FJR.<snip> 

I just want a bag that's big enough for a helmet. CAn you fit your helmet in that thing? Looks like you can.

The Givi Trunk I have is a 46 Liter and am a little fearful that it will look out of place. I rarely ever overload my trunk but is is a handy place
to stuff things, like I might pick up at the store or stash a helmet while at an event. I really hadn't looked at he Yamaha trunk because I thought it
might be too big also. On day to day riding, the trunk is all that is on the bike for storage. We already have a good amount of FJ owners
maybe others can shed light on the right choice.

I just want a bag that's big enough for a helmet. CAn you fit your helmet in that thing? Looks like you can.  

It will fit a full face helmet, but you would have verify as not all helmets are the same size.  My  Nolan E43 fits and a HJC fits, but my Nolan flip up doesn't.  Can't say if you helmet will fit or not.  They also make a smaller tail box at about $38.  Check it out in the luggage section.

So, my OTD price was a whopping:  $38.03   :) 

That is just stupid cheap. I had to look at the item for quite some time before I could even believe it. Shipping on that case has to be $10-$15 at the minimum.

The large one is only $50 and $45 with the coupon. 

So, my OTD price was a whopping:  $38.03   :) 

That is just stupid cheap. I had to look at the item for quite some time before I could even believe it. Shipping on that case has to be $10-$15 at the minimum. 
The large one is only $50 and $45 with the coupon. 
Believe it, as it is stupid cheap compared to the other brands.  But, it is not as high quality, and the mounting system is only fair.  I have gone through three mounting plates.  But the goods stay dry and as long as you don't go bouncing them down the road, they should last you a long time.

The medium one (31 liters) that I ordered last week arrived in short order today.  I placed it on the FJ-09 rear rack and it looks pretty darn good; not too big, not too small.  Perfect in my eyes.

However, my full-face helmet doesn't quite fit in it.  It's very close, but no-go.  That's not an issue for me, per se, but it may be for others.  In that circumstance, get the larger case.

Heck, you can't go wrong for $38 shipped.  The quality is good enough for me.

Time permitting, I will mount tomorrow and post some pics.

• 3 years later...
I know it's an old thread, but how did that trunk work out? Would you buy again? Did it fall apart? How sturdy is it?
I don't think you can get the J.C. Whitney boxes anymore.  They are still out there but you have to look hard on Ebay,

I know it's an old thread, but how did that trunk work out? Would you buy again? Did it fall apart? How sturdy is it?
I don't think you can get the J.C. Whitney boxes anymore.  They are still out there but you have to look hard on Ebay,
The link in Cameron12X lead me to this guy. 
http://www.jcwhitney.com/details/Garage_Pro/Cargo_Box/CSMRJT929.html?irgwc=1&clickid=zUGSqRy0AX0PS0E0Pw3pQXHjUkjwHFUQexL5Qo0&ircid=4531&irpid=269814&iradtype=ONLINE_TRACKING_LINK&mpvalue1=ircoupon&TID=iraff

• 3 weeks later...
I installed the trekker top case 42 its from give with the monkey plate anda I had a bajada problem, the inside aluminum support was loose, two of the four bolts were totally loose and one was missing, all this since new and I never noticed until I saw the top case pointing towards the back of the bike and I saw the inner piece broken, check the images and a video in this link

I order a new one from partzilla, I hope after a proper installation the piece resists the top case
IMG_9994.jpg

IMG_9998.jpg

Archived