To Tracer from S10 or not

I have not looked all the threads as yet for as many answers as possible but the answers may decide my future. How does the Tracer ride with a pillion? What aftermarket screen is best? I have the Kappa Venture panniers on my Super Ten I think with the right fitting kit they can go on the Tracer. Has anyone done this? I have a Kappa top box so assume that it will fit. Thank you .

Denis

• Premium Member
Yes, any Kappa monokey case will fit - Kappa/Givi use the monokey system and they do the full set for the Tracer, topbox kit and pannier rails.

I came to the Tracer from a Super Tenere as I wanted a lighter bike after an illness. Over 9000 miles in the last year and off to Germany next week, France in June.

I don't ride with a pillion and the Tracer will be fine 2 up unless you are very large people.

Power is similar to the S10, although delivery is different obviously with the triple compared to the twin. You will notice the suspension is firmer and not very sophisticated. Your pillion will feel the bumps more and this is the main thing I miss as the roads around where are very bumpy.

If you search my posts you will find reviews of the Kappa K40 luggage and Givi topbox I use.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
you may want to review the answers last time you asked the same question - I replied there as well, so you have had plenty of time to explore the threads in the forum for answers
http://fj-09.org/thread/1205/mt09-stay-tenere
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I bought my FJ after trying for several years to have my wife ride pillion on my F800GS. On paper, the seat heights and riding positions seem very similar. No way. Two up the factory suspension settings are so much better on the Yamaha. The boost in power is nice as well, but since I always ride within the legal speed limits, that's not an issue. What I found is that since the Yamaha engine is tilted forward because the bike is not designed for high ground clearance that the weight is far lower down. If you have ever rode two up on an ADV style bike and stopped on an incline, you know how important this is. The Yamaha just doen't have that top heavy feel that requires you to have a perfect two leg flat foot stance every time you come to a stop. I hate my beemer because of the pathetic systemic quality issues the company has. That being said, when riding solo the Yamaha has nowhere near the soul or presence the BMW has. I don't really have a concrete way to describe it, but there is far more of a connection between rider and machine when I ride that GS.

I found the Tracer suspension to be useless with a pillion, it was completely overwhelmed by the extra weight. It and the seat discomfort have me convinced to not buy one yet, which is a pity because I like almost everything else about it. After market options exist for both but they push the bike into the next bracket budget wise, so now I am comparing it to the Versys 1000 and Tiger 800s.

• Premium Member
I found the Tracer suspension to be useless with a pillion, it was completely overwhelmed by the extra weight. It and the seat discomfort have me convinced to not buy one yet, which is a pity because I like almost everything else about it. After market options exist for both but they push the bike into the next bracket budget wise, so now I am comparing it to the Versys 1000 and Tiger 800s.
I took a Versys 1K for a test ride last weekend. Very nice setup for two up right out of the crate. Comfortable, composed, refined......BORING!!  (rofl)  
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Archived