My Cruise Control Installation

desertfjr

What I wanted in my cruise control install sent me to the Aussie route and I procured a factory Super Tenere control and had at it. The Aussie kit arrived and as I took time to look over all of the custom components I am impressed with the attention to detail. I purchased all factory connectors and the proper crimping and installation tools when I did my Tech Day this winter and install all of my farkles. I understand the cost of all of those little connectors and the associated tooling. Throw in the electrical engineering knowledge required to create the interface harness for this and I was quite aware of the cost of building such a piece.

Here is a pic of all of the goodies that were going in...

P3205267_zpshtpbiqad.jpg

After you have every laid out...my recommendation to to take everything off...strip the FJ down to at least this level...

P3205268_zpslvoaztmk.jpg

The main two plugs you are after for the Super Ten install are the two white plugs in the center of this picture. The harness plugs into these and the SuperTen switch plugs into the other two plugs at the top. We'll tuck them all away nicely later.

P3205274_zpsehipqooq.jpg

The one tight fit is the tach signal thats picked up off the plug. That's where the son's smaller hands came into play...

P3205277_zpsuduxdxl2.jpg

All mounted up the factory controls look right at home...

P3205281_zpseseqdqjn.jpg

I chose to mount my LED indicator down below the dash. I milled a small aluminum mount to hold the LED. I like being able to just glance down below the dash to see if its on. I think its a little more visible there then back in the switch gear. There are many ways to skin this cat.

P3205283_zpsy0l3jwaq.jpg

When all is said and done I couldn't be happier with my install. The unit functions beautifully. It's fully integrated with a factory look which was important to me. You need to be able to disconnect a few wires from connectors with this install. You'll need a couple of small picks or jewelers screw drivers to complete it. But if you take your time its not anything that anyone with a little mechanical background can't handle. As I have included with many of the writeups on my farkles on the FJR Forum...patience and refreshments make just about any job doable.

Here is a shot of the other harnesses as we were installing them.

P3205278_zpssdpitlsy.jpg

There are three harnesses, one that converts the SuperTen controls, the TPS harness and the other to pick up all the inputs(speed signal, brake, clutch, etc.) And yes, I made him work on it. He gets to ride it he can help upgrade it...although he was there on a voluntary basis. Made the day pass a little easier.

Nice! Tony is shipping my cc kit for the FJR switch today. They had to make a different custom harness for the FJR switchblock and had some difficulties, but got it sorted out. Good guys over there at Mccruise (brothers Tony and Frank). Looking forward to the install. Any further tips? Tools I should make sure I have?

Thanks for the writeup.

Mark

'16 FJ09 - Mivv Carbon Oval full exhaust¦MCCruise TBW/FJR switch cruise control¦Corbin seat¦GPR steering damper¦Givi D2122S windscreen¦MT-09 Adventure footpegs¦Motodynamic taillight/flushmount signals/fender eliminator¦OEM heated grips¦Shorty levers¦T-Rex sliders¦SW Motech Blaze bags¦KTM handguards¦Vibranators¦Grip Puppies¦CF fender extender¦Pyramid rear hugger extender

• Premium Member
Looking good.

Not to derail the thread. Where/what rear tire hugger is on that bike? Looks good and functional.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

JMV Concepts. A couple members have them on here. It's French. Understand a little bit of Fench before you order it to get what you want. I thought I was ordering black and ended up ordering unfinished. Had to finish it myself. No biggie. Stout little unit.

• Premium Member
What I wanted in my cruise control install sent me to the Aussie route and I procured a factory Super Tenere control and had at it. The Aussie kit arrived and as I took time to look over all of the custom components I am impressed with the attention to detail. I purchased all factory connectors and the proper crimping and installation tools when I did my Tech Day this winter and install all of my farkles. I understand the cost of all of those little connectors and the associated tooling. Throw in the electrical engineering knowledge required to create the interface harness for this and I was quite aware of the cost of building such a piece. 
Here is a pic of all of the goodies that were going in...

P3205267_zpshtpbiqad.jpg

After you have every laid out...my recommendation to to take everything off...strip the FJ down to at least this level...

P3205268_zpslvoaztmk.jpg

The main two plugs you are after for the Super Ten install are the two white plugs in the center of this picture. The harness plugs into these and the SuperTen switch plugs into the other two plugs at the top. We'll tuck them all away nicely later.

P3205274_zpsehipqooq.jpg

The one tight fit is the tach signal thats picked up off the plug. That's where the son's smaller hands came into play...

P3205277_zpsuduxdxl2.jpg

All mounted up the factory controls look right at home...

P3205281_zpseseqdqjn.jpg

I chose to mount my LED indicator down below the dash. I milled a small aluminum mount to hold the LED. I like being able to just glance down below the dash to see if its on. I think its a little more visible there then back in the switch gear. There are many ways to skin this cat.

P3205283_zpsy0l3jwaq.jpg

When all is said and done I couldn't be happier with my install. The unit functions beautifully. It's fully integrated with a factory look which was important to me. You need to be able to disconnect a few wires from connectors with this install. You'll need a couple of small picks or jewelers screw drivers to complete it. But if you take your time its not anything that anyone with a little mechanical background can't handle. As I have included with many of the writeups on my farkles on the FJR Forum...patience and refreshments make just about any job doable.

If you had been around my garage when I was trying to fit the tach signal connector back on the spark plug/coil, you would have learned some new words...I have XL hands, and no one in shouting distance with small hands. You owe that youngster a beer....when he gets old enough of course. VERY nice install! 

Most of all take your time and read the instructions closely. As for tips...make sure you have a tiny screw driver or pick tool. These tools were invaluable for helping separate the wire connectors and release the connectors from the shrouds. You might be able to go to your local drug store and pickup dental tools. They will work awesome. I have this set I picked up at a local tool store on the cheap.
pickyourlock-500x500.jpg
Otherwise no other fancy special tools are required other than the basics. At no point did I need to bring out the BFH or the breaker bar!
When you remove and reinstall the harness connector at the ECU plug make sure you have fully seated the pin back in the connector before you relock the connector. Check all the pins and make sure they are at the top of their respective holes before your click the white locker back over. It should snap back in place easily. Reset the connector firmly into the ECU. This applies to the other connector builds as well. It's not hard, just be careful and take time to check your work.
The toughest connector is the connection at the coil on number one. We ended up sliding a screwdriver between the connector and coil and then reached in with a finger to push down the release button. Give the screwdriver a twist and the connector will slide back. You can then pull it out the left side to work on it. No need to tip the radiator to access it.
As for the big stuff, I have lots of ziplock baggies in my garage. Each part or set of parts gets all its fasteners dropped into a ziplock and then stored with the part. Body panels, gas tank, side pods, etc. It keeps me from losing things.
All things said, give us an hour and we could remove the entire system and you would never know we were there. I really like the factory look when done. The only homebrew looking part is my LED install location and we tried to make that part simple and tidy. In the end it actually looks like it belongs where we installed it. The switch block location will be a great location too. I just wanted it located more in line of sight as my son is riding it most often and he will have enough on his mind.

• Premium Member
Very nice installation.

Curious about the FJR/Tenere switch. I bought one for installation with the cruise system currently being sold on the forum. What did the 2-wire plug on the Tenere switch connect to?

Picture 3 Bob. The Super Ten cables are in the thick black sheath. The Super Ten connector plugs into the MCCruise harness. The harness then plugs into the original connectors (the two parallel white connectors in the middle of the picture)and it is threaded back along the airbox for its final connection into the 2nd harness that picks up the other control inputs.

The batch of small connectors at the bottom are the patch harness I built to integrate the factory turn signal locations and the Knuckle Guard LEDs. My signals and Knuckle Guards run together either as running lights or for signaling.

I finally have a numbers of miles on the seat since the cruise installation. I can say without hesitation the unit works as well as the stocker in my FJR. My speed is +/- 1mph of the speed I set it at. On level roads the speed just sits spot on the set speed. I get a mph or so of overrun on the downhill as expected. It will drop a mph on the uphill before kicking in and correcting. I would recommend this unit to anyone considering adding cruise control to their FJ. If they are going the Super Ten or FJR switch block route I feel this is without a doubt the best installation option out there. The ability to use the Super Ten controls were the decision maker for me.

Archived