My Cruise Control Installation

desertfjr

I finally have a numbers of miles on the seat since the cruise installation. I can say without hesitation the unit works as well as the stocker in my FJR. My speed is +/- 1mph of the speed I set it at. On level roads the speed just sits spot on the set speed. I get a mph or so of overrun on the downhill as expected. It will drop a mph on the uphill before kicking in and correcting. I would recommend this unit to anyone considering adding cruise control to their FJ. If they are going the Super Ten or FJR switch block route I feel this is without a doubt the best installation option out there. The ability to use the Super Ten controls were the decision maker for me.
I just received my mccruise system today!  Instead of their in-house add on switch I opted for their newly released FJR switchblock harness for an extra $80.  I considered that a bargain when I saw the very clever engineering and build quality of their harnesses.  Looking forward to installing it this week!  Like you, I  appreciate a factory-like appearance, especially when it comes to messing with the bikes electrics, and this kit looks the part.  While I'm at it I might swap the function of the horn and cruise on/off buttons.  I dislike the stock horn location that much.  Plus it'll be easier to toggle cruise on/off.  I often accidently beeped the horn on my FZ1 that had the switch in the exact same spot, but rarely will have cruise engaged when signalling, so bumping the button won't typically affect operation much.  I dunno.  Gotta sleep on that one...

Thanks for the info (and nice LED holder solution).

Mark.

'16 FJ09 - Mivv Carbon Oval full exhaust¦MCCruise TBW/FJR switch cruise control¦Corbin seat¦GPR steering damper¦Givi D2122S windscreen¦MT-09 Adventure footpegs¦Motodynamic taillight/flushmount signals/fender eliminator¦OEM heated grips¦Shorty levers¦T-Rex sliders¦SW Motech Blaze bags¦KTM handguards¦Vibranators¦Grip Puppies¦CF fender extender¦Pyramid rear hugger extender

Love to get you guys on the same road after install to compare functionality. I suspect they will both not only work, but would be damn near identical.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
Love to get you guys on the same road after install to compare functionality. I suspect they will both not only work, but would be damn near identical.
They will act the same. The difference between the expensive cruise control and the reasonably priced cruise control is in the execution.

Mark.

I fixed it for you.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

"They will act the same. The difference between the more expensive cruise control and the less expensively priced cruise control is in the execution."

I fixed it for you.

Not to get into semantics but a consumer would perceive both to be reasonably priced based on the perceived value received. One can buy a house "move in ready" and they will pay a premium for that experience. The other person may buy the same house with the basement yet to be finished and they will do that work themselves, and receive a discount on the purchase price due to that condition. Both will have the perception of buying a "reasonably" priced home.

Not to split hairs...

In this case there maybe those out there that perceive both solutions to be "more expensive" due to the fact that other alternatives are on the market at significantly lower cost.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Installed my cruise control today from Brandon Distributing....perfect! 

I'd been thinking about this mount position even before I received the unit. I love it there and it's a SOLID mount. I chose that position because I won't be using it that often and I didn't want it "under thumb". It still looks well integrated and OEM. As you can see, the LED install went perfectly. If you look closely, you'll see that it's actually mounted "upside-down" with the "set" button on the bottom and resume on top. I did that for two reasons.
1. Set on the bottom and resume on the top is how it's oriented in my car!
2. This allows me to hide the wire directly into the other wires underneath! 

Just got back from the "setup ride". It was a bit abrupt when setting the speed so I had to adjust the "Init Speed". That took only 5 minutes and now it's PERFECTLY smooth when setting the speed. Love this product!

IMG_0873.JPG

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• 1 year later...
Installed mine today.
It took longer than expected, but I also threaded a spare clutch cable, rewired driving lights, and experimented with horn brackets.
I enjoyed the time in the shed..

[ul type=disc][*]As @norcal616 and others noted, it's easy to undo the top bolts on the radiator and tilt it forward for easier access to the injector (and to thread the clutch cable).[*]I removed the ECM from the airbox to ease access to the latch on the bottom of the connector.
[*]I did not disconnect the breather and overflow hoses from the fuel tank, it was easier to just pull them up and reroute later.[/ul]
Really good documentation. 

Useful items: head torch, bent needle nose pliers, low stool.

Edit: Remember to reset the clock after reconnecting the battery.

Useful items: head torch, bent needle nose pliers, low stool.
+ a cold Grolsch on completion.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Very nice installation. 
Curious about the FJR/Tenere switch. I bought one for installation with the cruise system currently being sold on the forum. What did the 2-wire plug on the Tenere switch connect to?
I'm impressed with all these McCruise installations, but would like to see a pic of the FJR/ Tenere switch-block comparing it to the item supplied by McC in their kit.   Thanks...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
Very nice installation. 
Curious about the FJR/Tenere switch. I bought one for installation with the cruise system currently being sold on the forum. What did the 2-wire plug on the Tenere switch connect to?
I'm impressed with all these McCruise installations, but would like to see a pic of the FJR/ Tenere switch-block comparing it to the item supplied by McC in their kit.   Thanks...
I believe McCruise supplies a stock switch block with standard harness intact. He also supplies an adapter harness to adapt the McCruise unit to the stock harness.

I believe McCruise supplies a stock switch block with standard harness intact. He also supplies an adapter harness to adapt the McCruise unit to the stock harness.When i bought mine, he did not supply the Yamaha switchblock or the McCruise but suggested sources for me to purchase the Yamaha switchblock.  You have to tell him if you got a Tenere switch block or a FJR switchblock and he supplies the adapter harnesses.  Tenere and FJR switch blocks look identical on the handlebar but have different wiring harnesses.  You also had the option of no harness adapter and the McCruise switchblock.  If I remember correctly, I got the Tenere switchblock because they were in the middle of developing the FJR harness so it was just what was quickest to make it look stock.

Archived