Lowering link installation?

I just bought my fj-09 last weekend and I am trying to find a guide to install lowering links. I want to get a set of the soupys lowering links and I tried doing a search but I'm not coming up with anything. I found posts talking about them but nothing that really tells me how to install them. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Lowering links replace similar looking pieces that are already part of the stock suspension - they're just shorter than the stock versions. If you take a good look at the rear suspension, you should be able to see where they go.

If you look on YouTube the install process is roughly the same as any single shock sport bike.

It's typically a 2-man job because you basically need someone to sit on the bike to compress the rear suspension to right height while you remove the old links and install the new ones.

Basically:
1. Put suspension on softest pre-load setting to make job easier.
2. Loosen the link bolts a little.
3. Have someone sit on the bike, putting just enough weight on to remove all tension from suspension, but not compress it any more than it already is.  I.e. you want it to be neutral tension right at the height where the stock links keep the suspension.
4. Fully loosen and remove links bolts and links themselves.
5. Have your sitter put more of their weight on the bike, to compressing it further it to the point where you can fit the lowering links on.
6. Tighten the lowering links bolts according to torque specs.   Should ideally keep the suspension compressed the whole time while tightening.

The alternative to having a "sitter" is put a ratchet strap around the rear sub-frame and the wheel or swingarm to keep the suspension compressed the right amount.  That's actually probably better than a sitter as it removes the human element, but stressing the sub-frame like that always seemed questionable to me, even though logically it really shouldn't be putting any more stress on the frame than a person sitting on it.

• Premium Member
I installed the Yamaha links without any major problems. I was able to do it by myself in the parking lot. To get everything to line up to get the links in I used a lever under tire, long screwdriver. Seriously think about getting a real skid plate to protect the oil pan. I blew mine out on a speed bump after lowering. I now have the new style pan and the Higdonion cage skidplate.

After lowering mine, I've had more issue with the center stand hitting the curb pulling in the driveway, or scraping just a little while two up riding in corners...but for that 2 up riding(I've got about 350lbs of human when doing that), its gunna drop the bike down that much more, so be mindful!
Updated oil pan is a really good idea, I don't see any marks or the bit of oil pan that is supposed to "protect" the drain plug on the original design on my bike, that also doesn't mean it can't happen... I'm likely to be lucky so far...
If I remember correctly, I think they are 14mm bolts and 15mm nuts(dont quote me) I used a 2x4 to act as a lever to move the wheel up and down while on the center stand, and made it really easy too if you have 6 ft or more.
Keep in mind lowering the bike will make it stand a little taller on the kickstand, some don't mind it, others get a lower kickstand too- all personal prefs-
Last note, congrats on your new bike

Updated to clarify information about the new oil pan.

Hmm good to know about the skid plate. Last thing I want to do is to rip off my drain plug on a brand new bike. Now I'm considering not getting the lowering links and just dealing with tippy toeing. Sucks being 5'6" and having a 25" inseam. I tell people I'm not short I'm a giant midget.

Hmm good to know about the skid plate. Last thing I want to do is to rip off my drain plug on a brand new bike. Now I'm considering not getting the lowering links and just dealing with tippy toeing. Sucks being 5'6" and having a 25" inseam. I tell people I'm not short I'm a giant midget.
I did the Soupy's, which are 1 1/4 inches, and my cat converter scrapes on the top of the ramp into my driveway no matter how slow I go.  The first time I was real concerned for the drain plug until I looked.  I'm concerned the Higdonian plate will be even lower and scrape on other obstacles as well. I have a set of the Yamaha links, which are 9/16 inches, on the way.
The bike has settled downward a bit since I got it, and I took some of the preset out of the forks and the back shock, so I'm hoping the new links will be enough.
I can see where your inseam will be a problem though, I'm 5'6" with a 30 inch inseam, and the bike was still tiptoe time when I picked it up at the dealer.
Good luck.

I looked at the site for the higdonion and it looks like it would be nice to have. but man with a 1 1/4" lowering kit it looks like it would dang near touch the ground just as it sets on the side stand. I might have to do the happy medium and do the 5/8" Yamaha lowering links, save up money for the higdonion, put in a Mazda oil plug and hope for the best. I guess 5/8" is better than nothing. Let me know how your set up works when you get your Yamaha links on with the higdonion.

Has anybody tried these lowering links from lust racing? It says it will lower the bike a little over 3/4". .8" to be exact. 
http://www.loweringlinks.com/moto/yamaha-fj-09-lowering-kit/
No, I didn't see these when I did my search on this, and they may be just what I need.  I'll try the Yamaha links first at the 9/16 lowering and see what it's like. I don't necessarily agree with the Lust statement "MAXIMUM lowering possible by changing suspension links on Yamaha FJ-09" - Soupy's still has the 1 1/4 inch links at http://soupysperformance.com/fj09-lowering-link-links-kit.html
, but we all know about marketing hopefully.

I think Soupy's is pulling a little BS and measuring the difference in tail height, not seat height.

Their page says "FJ-09 lowering link links kit will lower the rear of all years FJ-09 1 1/4 inches."

On account of the fact that you're essentially pivoting the bike on an angle by lowering the rear only, the difference in tail height is going to be greater than the difference in seat height

Photo of bike with Yamaha lowering links and Higdonion  cage. I also installed Soupys adjustable kickstand.  

Looks really functional and protective. I see you had to jury rig the Soupy's bigfoot thing with bushings.  I took a quick shot at installing mine and ran into the same condition.  I'm not sure how, but I think  Soupy's should have allowed for this somehow, at the price they get for it.  The pad wants to mount perpendicular to the stand, but that's obviously not possible.  Maybe the inclusion of a couple different length bushings and screws?