• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 42 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

FlashTune Quickshifter Update

Have one on my R6 race bike. Worth 1/2 sec./lap. What does it do for you?
...so I get it for the race bikes on the track, but with the stock FJ I am still the fastest vehicle between the stop lights... unless there's the odd race bike next to me ;) .

Nope highly doubt this bike will beat a GT-R off the line.

...it is true..., what's the appeal then?
Because it's just plain fun. There's not much more exciting then getting on the freeway with the throttle pinned and banging through the gears without letting off. Especially on this bike that has soft suspension and lunges around when you let off the throttle to shift under heavy acceleration.

I might want to buy this $240 kit.. this does not include the flashing of the ecu does it? That would be another $200 correct?
That's correct, but I think the flash is 350. Either way, most standalone quickshifter kits are 500-700.
$200 one time, $350 for unlimited reflashes (if you change exhausts, filter, etc). 

The transmission and clutch have no problems with it. So much so that manufacturers are putting them on bikes out of the factory.
Thanks. Is there a bike in the Yamaha stable that has this factory option? Can the system be defeated/bypassed on the fly to do traditional shifting as needed?
The new 2015+ R1 has this.  It also has via FlashTune, clutchless downshifting! Which is awesome on the track.  It blips the throttle for you on downshift.  It's what MotoGP has been using for years.  It's cool to see their technology trickle down. 
Shown here:

Thanks. Is there a bike in the Yamaha stable that has this factory option? Can the system be defeated/bypassed on the fly to do traditional shifting as needed?
It doesn't need to be "bypassed". You can shift like normal at any time and there will be no issue. but if you can use it even if you're just accelerating up to speed, you don't have to be full throttle. I think it needs to be above 4000 RPMs to work though.

• 5 months later...
Dear all,

I hope someone of you can provide me an advise to solve a problem on my swiss Mt09 Tracer.

I got my ECU flashed with a custom mapping and decided to install the Flashtune QS at the same time. Unfortunately the QS is cutting everytime the bike reaches 4000RPM like it should do when you push the lever to shift up. So if you drive 10 meters above 4000RPM it cuts, after 10 meters it cuts again. The seller got in touch with flashtune in the USA but they are very slow and so far we have not got a solution. The QS-sensor itself is working well, we measured it with a Voltmeter and for the moment the QS is obviously ECU-deactivated.

Do you guys have an idea what is wrong? Thank you in advance.

• 1 year later...
  • Premium Member
Why a quickshifter on a street bike?
Just to add on to this... I thought of motorcycles similar to driving stick shift cars. This led me to think the quickshifters were akin to the paddle shifters that are being installed on cars and are useless for the most part. I wrongly assumed a quickshifter would give the same lack of feel and reduction in engagement while riding the motorcycle. I don't have one for my FJ-09, but I recently test rode a Street Triple 765 RS and it was magical. Sure, you can shift normally, anytime. When you roll on the throttle and don't have to let off the throttle to shift, it's not just fun. You realize how the acceleration was broken up into sections separated by shifts. I love the feeling of acceleration, and always have in any vehicle. The quickshifter is like listening to a melody that's not broken up by dubstep pauses, and when you hear the uninterrupted melody for the first time, your brain realizes what it's been missing all along. It just feels right.
At least... that's how the quickshifter wrecked my brain.  Anyone else feel this way?

Why a quickshifter on a street bike?
Just to add on to this... I thought of motorcycles similar to driving stick shift cars. This led me to think the quickshifters were akin to the paddle shifters that are being installed on cars and are useless for the most part. I wrongly assumed a quickshifter would give the same lack of feel and reduction in engagement while riding the motorcycle. I don't have one for my FJ-09, but I recently test rode a Street Triple 765 RS and it was magical. Sure, you can shift normally, anytime. When you roll on the throttle and don't have to let off the throttle to shift, it's not just fun. You realize how the acceleration was broken up into sections separated by shifts. I love the feeling of acceleration, and always have in any vehicle. The quickshifter is like listening to a melody that's not broken up by dubstep pauses, and when you hear the uninterrupted melody for the first time, your brain realizes what it's been missing all along. It just feels right.
At least... that's how the quickshifter wrecked my brain.  Anyone else feel this way?

Not me, that’s for sure!    But YMMV.    I can understand a quickshifter on GP and Superbikes, where microseconds count in racing, and even on a road bike being used on a track-day, but for day-to-day use… nah!.
My last two 2016 BMW boxer twins – R1200 R and R1200 GS – had that marque’s ‘Gear Shift Assist Pro’ (clutchless up and down shifts) fitted as OE, but after I mastered the not-too-tricky procedure I rarely used the feature.

I consider that one of the joys of riding a motorcycle – as opposed to just sitting on it – is the fusion between throttle control, gear-change snicks up or down, and clutch operation, when the rider gets it just right.

And after all, just how hard or demanding is it to pull in the clutch lever!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I consider that one of the joys of riding a motorcycle – as opposed to just sitting on it – is the fusion between throttle control, gear-change snicks up or down, and clutch operation, when the rider gets it just right.  
And after all, just how hard or demanding is it to pull in the clutch lever!

Exactly.  I just love pulling out onto the highway and running it up through the gears, shifting right at the torque sweet spot and feeling that pull.  

Problem is, by the time I hit 4th, I'm doing roughly twice the limit... :o 8D

Archived