• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 46 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Uh Oh- looks like an Oil Leak on my 2015

I noticed a drop of oil on the floor under my new (2900mi) bike. Hmmmm... maybe it's just excessive chain lube. Wiped everything down- didn't notice any areas of potential leaks and went back to my business. This was about a month ago. 

Noticed on a few rides a bit of an 'oily smell.' Hmmmm.. didn't see any more drops- could be chain lube on that GIANT catalytic converter. On with my day.

Well, last night, I took a closer look at the bike and noticed the left, foot-peg mount was wet- VERY wet with oil. I haven't lubed the chain recently and well, it looks like the output shaft seal to the front sprocket is the culprit. No biggie- just a warranty claim. Bummer, but worse things could happen.

Or, I could just keep topping the oil up and have a free auto-luber! 

I'll let you know what the dealer has to say!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Sorry to hear this, keep us updated.

If you don't mind me asking, it's probably irrelevant, but what is your chain tension set at?
Bill
2015 Heeled by the hands of Nel's @ 2WheelDynoworks
K-Tech forks and shock
lots of other expensive unimportant stuff.
The "Ex" 2003 FZ1
Ride more, worry less.

I'll double check that, but I sure hope this bike is not designed to spew oil on the exhaust. The amount of oil there is not acceptable. If this is normal, I will be selling the bike.

It is absolutely not related to chain tension. One of the first things I did was add slack to the chain. Made a big difference in rear suspension action & feel.

So the dealership called- no oil leak. Was simply excess chain lube... hmmm... I really don't oil my chain that much (I probably should more...) and when I do, I lube it after a ride, while the chain is warm and I wipe off as much excess lube as I can. I'm a little anal about that. Ok, well, I guess I'll keep a close eye on it and wipe it down A LOT more and see if any evidence of leakage continues.

Also, they said my chain was too loose & it was set to "factory spec." Ok, whatever. I think most of us can agree that the factory spec is a bit tight and can lead to associated issues. I'll reset my chain slack when I get the bike back home.

Give me a few more weeks to get some additional mileage on the bike and I'll report back. Thanks for reading everybody!

Quick update- got the bike home, re-adjusted the chain (it was REALLY tight) and cleaned everything up. Seemed awful oily, but I'll give it a few hundred miles and re-inspect. I'll grab some pictures too.

I honestly hope I am wrong and I was just being paranoid.

• 1 year later...

Any more on this?

I came from a ride out and found the bike soaked in oil everything dripping. Burning oil and smoke off the cat

All up the side of the pannier...and look at my tyre!

IMG_1638_1.jpg

Seems to be the output shaft

IMG_1630_1.jpg

IMG_1624_1.jpg

Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

This is not good. Did you check the oil pan and drain plug for cracks?
good thought...I haven't had a chance to have a thorough look yet..I will do tomorrow, and report back.
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

• Premium Member
This is not good. Did you check the oil pan and drain plug for cracks?
good thought...I haven't had a chance to have a thorough look yet..I will do tomorrow, and report back.
And find another dealer.......... 
1 for not figuring out the problem, and 
2 for suggesting that you follow their (obviously) incorrect chain slack spec

This is very timely wake-up to myself to carefully check around the bike before each outing.   I never have, and should - and will!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

And find another dealer.......... 
1 for not figuring out the problem, and 
2 for suggesting that you follow their (obviously) incorrect chain slack spec

Two different people

BTW I've got those same GIVI bags, nice bags for the price.

Archived