Uh Oh- looks like an Oil Leak on my 2015

And find another dealer.......... 
1 for not figuring out the problem, and 
2 for suggesting that you follow their (obviously) incorrect chain slack spec
Two different people

BTW I've got those same GIVI bags, nice bags for the price.

I'm not using the dealer I purchased from. That was some way away from me, but a stonking price at the time. So they only did the PDI. 
I heard the transmission noise on my ride home (200 miles)  when I got home I adjusted to something sensible, but I did wonder if the damage had already been done.  I then took it to my local Yam dealer, who made such a song and dance about adjusting to 5mm play. 5mm FFS - I insisted they put it back to where I left it, and they made a note against the service record that I insisted on incorrect chain slack.

Now we see if this invalidates the warranty?

The second service is with (anyone in the UK take note) Orwell Motorcycles in Ipswich.  They are the best dealer I have EVER come across, their skill and customer service is second to none.  I've had many bikes serviced there, including my R1200GS.  I feel looked after.  The redeeming thing is that the workshop manager said to me that 5mm slack is stupid, and clearly wrong, without any comment to me, the bike came back after the service with a sensible about of chain slack.

We shall see.  I'm about to make the call.

...[update post call]  Yamaha have withdrawn their franchise, so they can't do warranty work anymore - such a shame. Apparently, it's because they are a multi-dealer, and Yamaha wants exclusive dealers only.  That is a mistake on Yamaha's part IMHO. But anyway, I need to find someone else I can trust.

Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yes i do, and that was my first thought...but the oil reservoir is full on the oiler, there's no sign of any link.  The oil around the bike looks like engine oil, and I'm using Scottoiler oil (which is coloured red).
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

front sprocket seal is shot or its leaking from the shift sensor located just above the front sprocket...

sadly mine gets a tiny tiny sniffle drip of an oil leak, its on my to do list for the bike shop to fix when I drop the bike off later this year for a service... 6k miles this year and counting, all daily driven miles rain or shine been so busy with work I haven't even done a trip up north or hit the drag strip ?, needs new tires(stock tires are the worst next to the stock FZ-07 tires ?), TB synch, etc...

so far I have had no problems with stock clutch cable( prays to the 2wheel god) mainly due to the use of a QS for up and down shifts- still gonna have it replaced during the service to the updated one...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

To the OP - I hope it's okay to hijack your thread a bit (it just seems logical to keep related issues under one banner...if you preferred I started on of my own, say so!)

So by way of update:  I cleaned the entire bike and took the sprocket cover off and cleaned under there too...

IMG-20170914-_WA0000.jpg

Then I drained the chain oiler reservoir, drained the supply pipe, and disconnected the pump altogether, put it back together to try it down the road.

Before I rode off...

IMAG0291.jpg

About 1 mile down the road...

IMAG0298.jpg

and oil dripping off the bike...

IMAG0294.jpg

So that looks well and truly F****D so now we'll see what Yamaha does - its still under warranty, but the first dealer I took it to (for the 600 mile service) insisted that they recorded that I requested the chain slack at 25mm and not 5-15mm - so they have a beautiful get out clause should they so desire.

Watch this space

• Supporting Member
So by way of update:  I cleaned the entire bike and took the sprocket cover off and cleaned under there too... 

IMG-20170914-_WA0000.jpg

What product did you use to get that area so spotlessly clean? 
Sorry to hear about your oil leak issue, hopefully the dealer can help you out.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Sometimes a picture doesn't tell a thousand words. I'd love to see under the sprocket cover again and it may be an illusion but the oil on the ground looks red?

And +1 on how you got that so clean!!

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

What product did you use to get that area so spotlessly clean? 

I can't say what he used, obviously, but I have used S100 cleaner all over my dirty disgusting leaking KLR650, and will use it on the FJ09 as well.  Works amazing and so far, over my 5 years of using it, I haven't had it do any damage to plastics or rubber.  It disolves oil and grease and it comes off with the sprayer hose. http://www.s100.com/s100_tcc.htm

They sell it at my local Kawasaki dealer.  I haven't looked for it elsewhere but I see they also sell it at revzilla.  I have the big white spray bottle.

Current Ride - 2003 Kawasaki KLR650

Sometimes a picture doesn't tell a thousand words. I'd love to see under the sprocket cover again and it may be an illusion but the oil on the ground looks red? 
And +1 on how you got that so clean!!
Well the redness of the oil made me wonder whether it was the chain oiler oil (that is red red) - but it is a red brown colour and matches the colour of the engine oil. 

It can't be chain oil because the chain oiler has been completely drained (including the feedpipe) AND the quantity of oil, especially originally. Literally if you had loaded a watering can and poured it (no rose) onto the tyre it would've been no wetter.  It was swimming!   (i had actually cleaned most of the oil off the tyre before taking those original piccys)

As for cleaning.  It was well kacky under there (this is the first time that cover has been off in 10000 miles) but I spent about four hours cleaning the whole bike, and good hour just around that area.  The bike has been treated with ACF-50 every winter, so despite winter riding on harsh salt and molasses roads (yes they use molasses to make the road salt stick on the road so it doesn't wash away so fast...it also sticks to all vehicles quite well, adding a non-washable corrosive finish to everything...it's great :) ) ....(do you guys to cynicism?)...anyway, it means that if you clean the grime off the top everything is shiney underneath...what you see here is underneath. 

BTW I use Bilt Hamber products which are expensive, but worth their weight in gold.  The Surfax cleaner, diluted to 15% Surfax, 85% distilled water (I use water from a dehumidifier) is as strong as "muck-off".  Im now using Ferrox (another Bilt Hamber product) for protective coating (but is a good cleaner too)

Nice cleaning job, sorry it got messy again.
Unless there's a breather line or something disconnected further up, I'd focus on the gear switch and behind the sprocket as culprits. The shift shaft seal appears dry in your second set of pics with the oil residue.

If you feel like trying to pinpoint it yourself, the best way to find an oil leak is by cleaning the area and spraying good ole generic Foot Powder spray around the suspect areas. Run the bike on the same ride (or shorter) that you just did, and you will find the source quite easily.

Good luck.

-Skip

Im about to head out to the dealership and see what its gonna cost to fix the front sprocket seal... I still got 3wks left on my factory warranty and I still need to get the handlebar recall done ?...

I'll let Yamaha sort it out under warranty...just a Pita.

Same here after I looked in the service manual how difficult the job would be, im gonna leave that to the professionals... service guy fired off a claim for the seal and a claim for the handlebars...now I eagerly await a text message from the service manager and they were nice enough send me home with a Yamaha Beer Coozie 

Archived