Uh Oh- looks like an Oil Leak on my 2015

• Supporting Member
the part that needs replacement is #33...

Dare I ask... Does that require splitting the case to service? I don't recall there being anything additional that could be accessed directly behind the countershaft sprocket.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the part that needs replacement is #33...
Dare I ask... Does that require splitting the case to service? I don't recall there being anything additional that could be accessed directly behind the countershaft sprocket.
To me it does not look like a case splitting job... it's one of them oil seals that go in like a "freeze plug"...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Some countershaft seals do require a case split as they have a raised groove to keep them secured in the case. But manufacturers rarely do that anymore. Here's hoping anyway. On my old xt660 one of the shift sensor screws went awol even though it's twin was drowned in red loctite.
I would be inspecting the countershaft bearing for any play as those seals normally last an extremely long time. And if there is play it would definitely be from having the chain too tight..

I wouldn't just replace a seal...what caused the seal to go in the first place?  

It's mighty suspicious to me that the very area under intense discussion with overtight chain potentially causing bearing damage, is the one place where a fault has developed... I would just except a seal replacement, that's a sticking plaster.

Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

I feel that the yamaha manual is wrong on the chain tension. They have it way to tight and this may be the cause for the problems your are having. If you put the chain at yamaha specs and add a full load to the bike over time you are going to do damage.
I also wonder if something got lost in translation. Maybe they meant 0.20 -0.59in from one side on the push or pull of the chain which would give you an over all .40 to 1.18in slack. This is how I set my chain with no problems so far.

I feel that the yamaha manual is wrong on the chain tension. They have it way to tight and this may be the cause for the problems your are having. If you put the chain at yamaha specs and add a full load to the bike over time you are going to do damage. I also wonder if something got lost in translation. Maybe they meant 0.20 -0.59in from one side on the push or pull of the chain which would give you an over all .40 to 1.18in slack. This is how I set my chain with no problems so far.
yeah I've had mine adjusted to 25-35mm from about 250 miles, but the transmission has been noisy above 65 for the last 9750 miles, and I honestly wondered whether the damage had already been done
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

Sometimes a picture doesn't tell a thousand words. I'd love to see under the sprocket cover again and it may be an illusion but the oil on the ground looks red? 
And +1 on how you got that so clean!!
...and sometimes it does! 

Okay! I think everyone (except me) can breathe a sigh of relief.  The good news is that the issue isn't a Yamaha fault or a warranty issue.  The bad news is that the oil seal is done for, and I'll have to fix it myself.

In all the years I've been biking (39) I've never heard of anything like it, but here we are....Taaa-Daaah...

170923_Drive_oil_seal_damage.jpg

• Supporting Member
Okay! I think everyone (except me) can breathe a sigh of relief.  The good news is that the issue isn't a Yamaha fault or a warranty issue.  The bad news is that the oil seal is done for, and I'll have to fix it myself. 
In all the years I've been biking (39) I've never heard of anything like it, but here we are....Taaa-Daaah...

170923_Drive_oil_seal_damage.jpg
Yep, that will sure damage a rubber seal.  Good find though, any idea if that is a relatively easy fix or a pain in the a$$? 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I think it's relatively straightforward. I've ordered the bits, seal, springwasher and nut. I suspect the oil seal is prize out, push in.

For future reference of anyone looking at this thread, part numbers are:

93102-40030 Oil seal (£11.30 in the UK)
90208-22002 Washer, conical spring (£8.84 ...rip-off merchants!!)
90179-22018 Nut (£13.73)

And for your further entertainment...

IMG_1654.jpg

Great photos eeetea. Who'd have thought that gravel could get under the cover AND wedge in there. Low odds but good that you found the reason for the leak.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

At least the rock decided to grind its way through the cheap rubber seal and not the crankcase. Very considerate!

I'm hoping, I can't see if any damage has been done to the case...I think not... but assumption, as I have already discovered in this event is not always right.

Are you happy with the gearing on the bike @eeetea? If not you could turn the trauma into an opportunity and swap the cog for a different number of teeth.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

...and sometimes it does! 

Interesting, please update this thread with how easy/hard replacing the seal is.

Archived