My best front fender solution...

sic944t

Hi everyone new here ,been on a bunch of forums... I forgot how much of a pain in the ass photo hosting, forum registration and all the stuff can be...
Anyways let me say I love my FJ. I can pick apart many flaws and short coming but it's a damn fine bike for the price... I added a parabellum touring windshield and some throttle meister cruise control barends I installed cheap eBay bolt in bar risers and added some rubber padded foot pegs I went with the full GIVI Trekker luggage system with GIVI crash bars I have some othe mods in store.

For right now I wanted to share my front fender...
It's simple the fender looks good and sucks at being a fender we have all identified that... At 32+ dollars for a dinky 3" lip I wasn't buying a fenda extenda... So I bought a universal dirt bike from fender in black made by UFO plastics for around 25$ I cut it to shape eyeballed a center drilled 4 mounting holes roughed up both mating surfaces and used some panel bonding 2 part epoxy and glued and screwed it together...

Don't know if it will catch too much wind or flop around......

Here is what I think might be the best/most protective/cheapest option it's not gorgeous and if you ride 100+ mph all the time it might be too large but you can cut it a lot shorter .. Essentially allowing your choice in length

image.jpeg

image_2.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

That install requires a minimum of 4 acorn nuts. Black rivets even better. But then the handguards were fugly and were removed??? I'm surprised duct tape wasn't used here...

;)    :-X

The length should be effective though...will give you that.

Well in my defense the long screws used in the first picture were later removed for shorter stainless 10/24 bolts ... I just needed the adhesive to dry ... Also it's not often that you spend a lot of time looking at the extreme back side of you front fender but the giant, mutant, space alien, praying mantis things they called handguards were obscene and I had to see them all the time....
Also this bike is being ridden hard in all weather so strength and protection were my focus in looking into some different gaurds as we speak

I went for one of these and bonded it in place with Sikaflex so no bolt holes.

Looks good and works well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-MT09-MT-09-MT-09-Tracer-Carbon-Fibre-Fender-Extender-Mudguard-Extension-/272180061358?hash=item3f5f3224ae:g:cckAAOSwaNBUdwy2

Sorry no better pictures but 6000 miles on and the front of the engine is very clean still

DSC_0041_zpsqtptlbpg.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-MT09-MT-09-MT-09-Tracer-Carbon-Fibre-Fender-Extender-Mudguard-Extension-/272180061358?hash=item3f5f3224ae:g:cckAAOSwaNBUdwy2

Sorry no better pictures but 6000 miles on and the front of the engine is very clean still

I bought this same extender. Thanks for the info regarding Sikaflex. I was undecided on whether or not I would rivet it on, but if you've 6k miles on it, I'd say that's enough evidence that I don't.

Thanks,
Mark

'16 FJ09 - Mivv Carbon Oval full exhaust¦MCCruise TBW/FJR switch cruise control¦Corbin seat¦GPR steering damper¦Givi D2122S windscreen¦MT-09 Adventure footpegs¦Motodynamic taillight/flushmount signals/fender eliminator¦OEM heated grips¦Shorty levers¦T-Rex sliders¦SW Motech Blaze bags¦KTM handguards¦Vibranators¦Grip Puppies¦CF fender extender¦Pyramid rear hugger extender

sic944t, sarcasm doesn't always emote cleanly on the webs...I was pulling your chain...but you must admit...having that picture with 4 giants bolts hanging out the back of the fender juxtaposed with the hand guard comment even made my wife chuckle when I showed her the post. As I have said, there are many ways to skin the cat. That fender leaves the poor thing hairless. About as complete coverage as I have seen. My only advice to you is be careful if you ever go down off a curb or other sharp angled embankment...you may catch it on the way down.

No worries ha those big hairy bolts clamping it together were a little crazy they were just part of the set up... I can see that as low as the bike is I dunno what would hit first... I plan to ride some dirt and gravel and so on so I figured 25 spent on a mega fender would save on radiator and all other items..
I'm gonna add a very tiny strut to keep it more stable I had it up to 105 and it was fine but I would like to overkill the set-up in general

DSC_0041_zpsqtptlbpg.jpg

Seems like a great solution and that price is good I wanted something larger and that part isn't readily available here in north america

• 2 months later...
I'm facing the same problem of how to glue/fasten this extender to existing fender. After looking at this post I decided to go with sikaflex. Can you plese tell me what type of sikafles did you use and how long does it take to bond and dry?
I found one Sikaflex that is used for boats, its water resistant and minimize vibration.

Archived