Digging around in the Super Tenere switch block

• Premium Member
I'm going to use this thread to post my findings from poking around the Super Tenere switch block, which, as most know, is visually identical to ours except for the cruise buttons.

I, like others, would like to use this stock-looking, well integrated switch block with our new cruise control systems offered by Cruizin.  As no-one has made any information available as to what might be involved in this mod, I've made it my mission to pull the covers off this mystery and make my findings available to the board.

To this end, I have purchased and received a 2015 Super Tenere left switch block.  So that my FJ wouldn't be out of commission while investigating the wiring of both switch blocks, I also purchased a new 2015 FJ-09 switch block.  More on what my eventual plans are for the extra FJ block later.

Out of the box, the first difference you'll notice is that the plugs at the ends of the harnesses are different.  You would expect this because of the Tenere's additional functions, however, they're not just different, they're really different!  While the FJ harness has a clutch switch wire, the Tenere does not.  Finally, the Tenere's harness is actually longer than the FJ's, so no worries about it not being long enough.

The differences don't end there, sadly.  You might expect that Yamaha wouldn't have time to dream up new wire color-coding for every model.  In fact, it might be useful to have some similarities.  But, no.  That would be way to easy!  Let's make them completely different!  And they are.

I have the electrical diagram for the FJ, which was very helpful when I did the Rostra Cruise installation, and it does a pretty good job of identifying the circuits and wire colors of most systems on the bike, including the switch block.  What I don't have, and have so far been unable to get, is the one for the Tenere.  I've put out some feelers on other sites that may bear fruit.  I'll just have to wait for a response.

But I'm not going to wait to get started.

Turns out I might not need that Tenere diagram.  A couple of hours poking around with my multi-meter has identified the functions of all of the wires on the Tenere switch.  See my diagrams for the 2 multi-pin Tenere plugs below.

I will do the same with the FJ block for comparison.  The object being that I will graft the FJ plugs to the Tenere's harness and provide an interface for Cruizin's system that will mate with the Tenere block as well.

http://soundquarters.com/FJ-09/Cruise/S10%201.jpg

http://soundquarters.com/FJ-09/Cruise/S10%202.jpg

More later!

• Premium Member
I will do the same with the FJ block for comparison.  The object being that I will graft the FJ plugs to the Tenere's harness and provide an interface for Cruizin's system that will mate with the Tenere block as well. More later!

Very nice Bob, I look forward to the rest of the story. Looks like fun! 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Here is what I have so far on the FJ's plugs:

http://soundquarters.com/FJ-09/Cruise/FJ%201.jpg

According to the wiring diagram that I have, the black and brown wires in the diagram above should be associated with the horn switch. However, my multimeter shows no continuity between the two when the horn button is depressed. I've tried all combinations of wires to see if any of them were associated with the horn, but none of them have worked. I may have a bad switch. Maybe one of you who is installing the new cruise system wouldn't mind testing these two wires. The plug should be easily accessible with the left shroud removed, which you will have to take off anyway for your installation.

http://soundquarters.com/FJ-09/Cruise/FJ%202.jpg

Here is what I have so far on the FJ's plugs: 
http://soundquarters.com/FJ-09/Cruise/FJ%201.jpg

According to the wiring diagram that I have, the black and brown wires in the diagram above should be associated with the horn switch. However, my multimeter shows no continuity between the two when the horn button is depressed. I've tried all combinations of wires to see if any of them were associated with the horn, but none of them have worked. I may have a bad switch. Maybe one of you who is installing the new cruise system wouldn't mind testing these two wires. The plug should be easily accessible with the left shroud removed, which you will have to take off anyway for your installation.

http://soundquarters.com/FJ-09/Cruise/FJ%202.jpg

Hi Bob. I have my new bike in pieces right now installing the mccruise system (among other things) and checked for you. I can confirm that the two wires you mentioned do indeed go to the horn. There is continuity between the two when the horn is pressed.

HTH,

Mark

'16 FJ09 - Mivv Carbon Oval full exhaust¦MCCruise TBW/FJR switch cruise control¦Corbin seat¦GPR steering damper¦Givi D2122S windscreen¦MT-09 Adventure footpegs¦Motodynamic taillight/flushmount signals/fender eliminator¦OEM heated grips¦Shorty levers¦T-Rex sliders¦SW Motech Blaze bags¦KTM handguards¦Vibranators¦Grip Puppies¦CF fender extender¦Pyramid rear hugger extender

• Premium Member
Hi Bob. I have my new bike in pieces right now installing the mccruise system (among other things) and checked for you. I can confirm that the two wires you mentioned do indeed go to the horn. There is continuity between the two when the horn is pressed.  
HTH,

Mark

Awesome!  Thanks so much! 
I edited that picture to remove the question marks on those two pins.

• Premium Member
I did a little more investigation to find out why the horn switch on the FJ block would not work. Well, the day must have been getting long for me because it was the simplest of causes. The circuit was broken because the horn itself is part of it. Duh. No horn, no complete circuit.

I disassembled the switch block to see exactly which wires were connected to the switch. There's the brown wire that goes to the multi-pin connector and a black wire with a green stripe. That black w/green goes down and connects directly to the horn. Then the other connector at the horn, a solid black wire, goes back up the switch block harness and connects to the pin on the white connector shown above. Once I jumped the horn connectors I had continuity at the white multi-pin plug when I pressed the horn button. Baby steps.

http://soundquarters.com/FJ-09/Cruise/Horn%20wires.jpg

• Premium Member
This looks very promising Bob and thanks for the detective work! I was trying to follow the logic with the wiring convention Yamaha uses between the two bikes and I think I'm right in saying most of it is similar. However, unless I missed it I couldn't see where you'd identified the clutch switch on the Tenere plugs, does it not have one or is it somewhere else?

As for the horn error, sometimes you just can't see the wood for the trees, perhaps I'm suffering from the same thing here!

• Premium Member
This looks very promising Bob and thanks for the detective work! I was trying to follow the logic with the wiring convention Yamaha uses between the two bikes and I think I'm right in saying most of it is similar. However, unless I missed it I couldn't see where you'd identified the clutch switch on the Tenere plugs, does it not have one or is it somewhere else? 
As for the horn error, sometimes you just can't see the wood for the trees, perhaps I'm suffering from the same thing here!
Thanks!  Another set of eyes and a fresh brain on the subject will always be welcome! 
There are no pins for the clutch switch on the Tenere plugs.  That particular part of the FJ harness will have to be retained and will be unmodified.

I have't had any additional time to devote to this since my last post.  If the weather's good, I'm working on my garage build project and will be for the next 2 or 3 months.  If the weather's bad, I'll work on this.  I wish there were two of me.

That said, I think there is enough information here to aid someone interested in taking it to its ultimate conclusion.  In the meantime, I'll continue to work on it as time allows.

• 2 years later...
Hello Bob!
This idea is very promising. I also plan to fit a Super Tenere cruise control on my FJ09.

Do you have an update on your project? Did it finally work? How was the electrical harness integration? Did you have to change something to make the bike « recognize » the new buttons?

Thanks a lot for your contribution to this project!

• Premium Member
I didn't finish it. Others have taken the cruise portions of the Tenere switch and transplanted them into the the FJ switch. Seems like an easier way to go. My Rostra setup is still working fine, otherwise I'd have pursued it further.

Archived