Aftermarket seat

Just an fyi for anyone interested: I don't want to lay out the bucks to change the seat on my fj as its not my main bike (just a playbike) but I find long days kind of brutal on it.

So as a whim I bought a pair of the moto skeevies motorcycle shorts to see if it helps. My feeling is they do help slightly. Did a hard 7 hrs on Friday around the Peninsula and could tell some improvement in "comfort". Not a miracle like a real seat (Corbin, Russel, Meyers etc) but made the day easier. I still stand up a lot....

I agree with the reviewers that said when walking around it feels like you have a load in your pants though....

I'll tell you what I did. I simply took the seat to my local upholstery shop (who I liked because they re-did my boat upholstery) and told them the seat was too hard and to add more foam. They said:  "Do you want it reshaped or keep the same shape but more padding?"  I said the latter, so they did, beautifully, and now it's much more comfortable. They were able to use the stock seat cover even with the additional padding. Cost: $50. Sometimes the simple solutions are just fine.

I've had a number of Corbin seats on various bikes and like them but for less than half the price I ordered a seat kit from Seat Concepts and did it myself. I'm *very* pleased with the result in fact like the comfort and quality so well I ordered kits for two of my other bikes.

These illustrate how different from stock a Seat concepts seat is. This is the stock seat foam and it's effective seating surface goes from about the 1" mark to 11" so 10", beyond this the foam curves down offering no or very little support at the edges.

IMG_1899_zpsodkogfv3.jpg

The SC foam curves up at the edge making more of a bucket giving a good 13" width of support. My short ride, initial impression was it offered more surface support and was slightly more comfortable. On a longer ride is when I really noticed the improvement.

IMG_1900_zpsmoqhnex3.jpg

DSC01039_zpshdbxoa2y.jpg

Archived