high speed wobble.....

so on the Highway style "track"...

reached speeds around 114- 116.. and over and over again, decelerate and accelerate back to that speed, would cause handlebar wobbles.

it was not what i expected from the FJ, i assumed the bike would be rock solid at that speed.... im assuming it might be the stock suspension setting dynamics at my 240 weight.....

or the windscreen in the high position? or my new rear rack top box? dealer assembly error??

please help if anyone with knowledge has tips or cures

Years ago when I owned an ST1300 and followed their forum some reported wobble at high speeds. It appeared top box contributed to this problem. There were some police departments that used ST's and they went to other bikes because of this problem. Try taking your top box off and changing position of windshield to see if things change.

reached speeds around 114- 116.. and over and over again, decelerate and accelerate back to that speed, would cause handlebar wobbles.

it was not what i expected from the FJ, i assumed the bike would be rock solid at that speed.... im assuming it might be the stock suspension setting dynamics at my 240 weight.....

or the windscreen in the high position? or my new rear rack top box? dealer assembly error??

So how about that shift key, do they charge you extra to use it? :P

Check your tires pressure too.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Guest eatpasta
yeah +2 for tire pressure check. Could be a variety of things but I would guess it's a combo of road surface and under inflated tires.

When I bought my FJR it handled like ass and was wondering what everyone liked about it so much. Turned out the tires were trash and were only at 15 psi. Even the crap tires aired up transformed the bike

Guest eatpasta

I just posted a New Video in the Pics and Videos section where towards the end a "stunt" rider gets the FJ-09 up to 190 kph (118 mph) and has no issue. But I don't think he was carrying a rear trunk. Of course, with all the wheelies he very well may have a trunk with bricks in it.
not only was there no issue but while watching it, I was wondering if that dammed thing would ever stop accelerating....  jeez 

Try taking the top box off and doing it again.  How big is the top box and what kind of mount has it?  Yamaha says not to go over 85 with the FJR w/ a top box.  I think they say the same about the FJ.  I have gone 120 with a top box on the FJR and had no problem.  I believe that the MFR plays it safe and tells you not to do this, just in case you are low on air in the tires, have bad shocks, applying to much pressure on the grips, bike is overloaded and that they have experienced ill effects now and then, etc.  What might have you done to create this high speed handlebar wobbles.  Be careful as a handlebar wobble can turn into a tank slapper in a second.  Make sure you are using a feather grip at those speeds.   

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Guest eatpasta

Try taking the top box off and doing it again.  How big is the top box and what kind of mount has it?  Yamaha says not to go over 85 with the FJR w/ a top box.  I think they say the same about the FJ.  I have gone 120 with a top box on the FJR and had no problem.
 Does it have a big wing on it?

:D

• Premium Member
It is one of four things:
1. Tire pressure to low. I use 34/40.
2. Tire wheel weight fell off. Check the balance.
3. Loose steering stem bearings. Put the bike on the center stand, and while lifting the front wheel off the ground, shake the forks front and back to see if there is play.
4. Bad, out of round tire or tire internals separating.

Good luck and post what you find.

Could also be the top box as those do cause wind resistance.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived