Strange noise coming from engine ! FJ-09 Cam Chain

• Premium Member
My dealer told me it works on oil pressure. The oil needs to warm up to operating temperature(thereby increasing pressure) for the tensioner to perform properly. I suspect this is what's going on with your bike. The noise is only an annoyance. Mechanically there is no danger of damage to your bike. This is what I'm hearing from the guru's. 
Having said that....it's still an annoyance.
The noise is the cam chain rubbing on metal due to the excessive slack of a malfunctioning CCT, so tell your dealer he/she is full of it. This is not normal noise. There is no debating this, as this metal on metal rubbing is not normal or good. If it goes away after being warmed up, than maybe this is OK, but a constant noise is not good.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My dealer told me it works on oil pressure. The oil needs to warm up to operating temperature(thereby increasing pressure) for the tensioner to perform properly. I suspect this is what's going on with your bike. The noise is only an annoyance. Mechanically there is no danger of damage to your bike. This is what I'm hearing from the guru's. 
Having said that....it's still an annoyance.

Definitely not hydraulic. I had the same issue on my MT-09, the stock adjuster doesn't hold itself on the ratchet. You can remove the M6 bolt, wind the tensioner into the next click with an Alan key ( can't remember the size) and then wind an M6 x 25 bolt (with locking nut) down tight into the adjuster to stop it backing out again.

• Premium Member
Nice job. I appreciate the video explanation.
Bill
2015 Heeled by the hands of Nel's @ 2WheelDynoworks
K-Tech forks and shock
lots of other expensive unimportant stuff.
The "Ex" 2003 FZ1
Ride more, worry less.

They called me today said they couldn't duplicate it........ I'm like ok..... when its cold it makes no noise , yes when its cold... Get it to operating temp and then you will hear "slap slap slap" They never called me back saying there was no problem so hopefully they heard it... I'll call in the morn and make an update.
2016 R1
2015 FJ-09-------SOLD
2002 Wr250F
2014 Concours

Here's a description I got from another forum:

grayracer513

Posted July 17, 2013 - 06:51 AM

The most common design used today is essentially a spring driven worm and sector type set up. There is normally a housing that bolts to the cylinder in such a way as to bring the plunger of the tensioner to bear on a swinging tensioner shoe, as in the picture above. The plunger itself has an internal screw gear cut into it, and is keyed to the housing so that it cannot rotate along its length. A torsion coil spring is anchored to the housing and drives a shaft cut with a worm gear the threads into the plunger. This is the part that you turn to release tension when servicing.

As slack appears in the chain, the spring is able to rotate the internal shaft steplessly until the slack is gone, but if the chain tries to push back on the plunger, it cannot do so any more than you can pull a bolt out of a threaded hole without turning it; worm gears can't be back driven. Simple.

Other designs include simple spring loaded arms or plungers, often with ratchets to prevent pushback, [strong]some driven by hydraulic pressure from the engine oil pump, etc.
[/strong]
End of Post
This may be what my dealer was talking about. My bike was doing it at the dealer with zero miles on it when I started it up. It went away after the coolant temp was about 75-80 degrees c (not sure what the oil temp would be).  It hasn't returned since. But I will look into this more.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1036007-how-does-a-cam-chain-tensioner-work/

Update >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> They are saying its normal......I'm like just do a google search for FZ 09 cam chain you will see pages of complaints !
So I get Yamaha customer service on the phone and the guy says well sir "all motors make noise" O_o...At that point I just went through the roof oooooooo hell no you didn't just say that. I can see now this is going to be an uphill battle.
2016 R1
2015 FJ-09-------SOLD
2002 Wr250F
2014 Concours

Additional info I got is: the cam chain is actually vibrating against the tensioner guide (the part that makes contact with the chain to reduce the slack). As the oil heats up the pressure of the guide on the chain may change therefor the sound may change. This doesn't necessarily mean it's malfunctioning if there is noise. It may only mean it's noisy. Still.... understandably annoying and discomforting. I haven't found anything yet where this has actually damaged the motor or effected the performance. I'll keep looking.

Update >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> They are saying its normal......I'm like just do a google search for FZ 09 cam chain you will see pages of complaints ! So I get Yamaha customer service on the phone and the guy says well sir "all motors make noise" O_o...At that point I just went through the roof oooooooo hell no you didn't just say that. I can see now this is going to be an uphill battle.
Get the Yamaha YES warranty and ride it, if anything happens, Yamaha can take care of it.

Would be very interesting to see if once a manual CCT was installed if your FJ engine was quiet as it should be.

Any chance of another Yamaha dealer in your area to have inspect the problem?

There is a simple and obvious solution to this issue. If you drill a bunch of holes in your exhaust, it will get louder and you won't hear the rattle anymore! Problem solved :D You're welcome.
You're a real comedian .... Going to pick up bike now.... After the Tech admitted he heard noise (now manager says he can't duplicate it)  hmmmm ... Its documented why I brought it in. 2 more times then http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/consumer-protection/lemon-law 
2016 R1
2015 FJ-09-------SOLD
2002 Wr250F
2014 Concours

Yep...... sounds like a chain slaping against metal. 

I met the service mgr at the dealership and the damm thing wouldn't make the noise !
He told me to just drive it and get it broke in if its a problem it will get worse and can then be duplicated. Then he can help me. As of now his hands are tied

They are telling me the FJ was released with the latest revision of the CCT....who knows

2016 R1
2015 FJ-09-------SOLD
2002 Wr250F
2014 Concours

I'll just ride it until it breaks and drop it off at the stealer. I bought the 4 year YES for about $400 so I could do just that. Gotta get my money's worth...

I used to lose sleep over things not being "perfect", but now I try hard to just forget these things as much as possible. Must...try....not...to...be...control freak!!! Ahhhhh!!!

Oh man, I know the first scratch I get I'm going need a mild sedative and a half a bottle of scotch to get over...  :'(

Archived