Strange noise coming from engine ! FJ-09 Cam Chain

Also, note that they indicate the manual lock method described in the YouTube video in a previous post is not recommended and voids the warranty.  

The choice of words are very important. The bulletin states: "This modification method is not recommended. Improper cam chain tension will result in engine damage which is not covered under warranty." 

Nowhere does it state that the warranty is void, because it is not. Specific problems directly caused by this modification will not be covered but the warranty remains intact. 
That's what I meant ;) 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest eatpasta
After doing extensive research I've came to the conclusion that it is indeed the Cam chain tensioner. Called the local Yamaha shop and they were less than accommodating. So I called Yamaha customer service and had them call the dealership on my behalf. I now have an appointment next Wednesday.
 A lot of 1150GS's have this issue.  It goes away when the bike warms up but many of them had to have the tensioners replaced.     As far as I understand, it's more annoying than anything and a little excess chain slack wont hurt anything as long as you dont take it to redline when the engine has only been on for a few moments.

Guest eatpasta
Yes, but two wrongs don't make a right @cruizin ;)
If ya have an issue with the way that I admin the forum that I own, please send me a PM.  
But seriously, go post a link to this forum on that FZ-09 forum and see what happens. This is why I do not allow links to their forum here.

You will notice that I allow most other links, especially to ADVrider.com, the most awesome bike forum in the entire world.

amen.

• 2 weeks later...
Ugh, yeah yeah yeah, I know... "It's normal" but ugh. haha.

I've tried adjusting the stock one, and it just backs right off again as soon as you put the engine under load. So that tip is fairly useless. As I put more KM's on the bike, the noise gets more constant as I assume the chain is stretching a little over time.

It's like watching the best movie in the world, but the jerk next to you won't stop talking. It's still an amazing movie, but damn if that jerk isn't a distraction to your overall enjoyment.

Per the comments by @cruizin, it seems you just have to bite the bullet and put in a manual CCT. Since I'm not comfortable opening up the engine, I think I may just pay a pro to do it for me. Damn this ADD, it makes my life so difficult because I can't let little nuisances go. And it becomes a borderline safety issue. If I'm distracted by the noise, I'm not focused on everything else.

Anyway, rant over, and don't decide not to buy this bike because of the CCT noise. That's just silly :D

• 2 weeks later...
I personally hear exactly what is being described as cam chain ticking and am not the slightest bit concerned. Heres my take after talking with a Technical Advisor from Yamaha. The stock cam chain tensioner is designed to hold the chain tight enough as to not skip a tooth and loose enough as to not wear the plastic/rubber cam chain guides and to also automatically adjust with normal stretching over time. There has never been a single failure with the stock CCT. There have been failures caused by the installation of a aftermarket manual CCT where the tensioner is set too tight against the guide causing the plastic guides to grind down and plug the oil pump strainer screen/oil filter and you know what happens after that. The ticking is going to sound differently at different temperatures, different oil viscosities and different RPM's. We all have a year or two of warranty on our bikes, I have no desire to modify a system that has 0 warranty failures.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I have 7000 km on my bike and it just started making really bad engine noise all the time. I did all the maintenance required on the bike and i run full synthetic yamalube oil. Looks like the engine have some serious damage inside will have to call the dealer on monday to get this fixed and selll that bike.

I have 7000 km on my bike and it just started making really bad engine noise all the time. I did all the maintenance required on the bike and i run full synthetic yamalube oil. Looks like the engine have some serious damage inside will have to call the dealer on monday to get this fixed and selll that bike.
Hmmm, 4,350 miles. Has to be a TC tensioner failure. Please keep us posted on the results.  

Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

Strongly suggest you give the BMW R1200RS a look. Its over 100lbs less weight and almost as tour worthy.
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2007 Yamaha Vstar 1300 - sold
2008 Kawasaki Versys - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2010 Yamaha Raider - sold
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 - lemon back to dealer
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

Guest dmizer
The noise is the cam chain rubbing on metal due to the excessive slack of a malfunctioning CCT, so tell your dealer he/she is full of it. This is not normal noise. There is no debating this, as this metal on metal rubbing is not normal or good. If it goes away after being warmed up, than maybe this is OK, but a constant noise is not good.

There are nylon guides that the cam chain slides along. Unless the chain has completely worn through the guides, there's no way for the chain to be "rubbing on metal" since there's no metal for it to be rubbing on. If the cam chain has completely worn through the guides due to excessive slack, the noise would make it sound like your engine was about to explode. Way more than "good grief that cam chain noise is annoying."

Here's a cutaway showing the cam chain and tensioner:

suSCfEc.jpg

• Premium Member
The noise is the cam chain rubbing on metal due to the excessive slack of a malfunctioning CCT, so tell your dealer he/she is full of it. This is not normal noise. There is no debating this, as this metal on metal rubbing is not normal or good. If it goes away after being warmed up, than maybe this is OK, but a constant noise is not good.
There are nylon guides that the cam chain slides along. Unless the chain has completely worn through the guides, there's no way for the chain to be "rubbing on metal" since there's no metal for it to be rubbing on. If the cam chain has completely worn through the guides due to excessive slack, the noise would make it sound like your engine was about to explode. Way more than "good grief that cam chain noise is annoying." 
Here's a cutaway showing the cam chain and tensioner:

suSCfEc.jpg
Not necessarily correct, but thanks for trying. The chain does not just go into the guides. Do you work on dirtbikes like I do? Have you ever had a cam chain noise and found the remedy? Sometimes it is just the cam chain slapping on itself or onto the tentioner. Once again, thanks for trying, but this sound is not normal, end of story. I am very versed in cct noise, that is why I say it does not sound normal. That is what I was talking about. I really don't know what your point was. Do you dispute that his engine was making a racket? Doesn't sound like mine. Thank you for the cutaway. That is useful.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Guest dmizer

Not necessarily correct, but thanks for trying. The chain does not just go into the guides. Do you work on dirtbikes like I do? Have you ever had a cam chain noise and found the remedy?
That posturing is not necessary to have a discussion. I have not called your experience into question here.

Sometimes it is just the cam chain slapping on itself or onto the tentioner. Once again, thanks for trying, but this sound is not normal, end of story.
I said nothing about the noise being normal nor abnormal.

I am very versed in cct noise, that is why I say it does not sound normal. That is what I was talking about. I really don't know what your point was. Do you dispute that his engine was making a racket? Doesn't sound like mine. Thank you for the cutaway. That is useful.
My point was that you indicated that the sound was metal to metal. That is extremely unlikely to be the case given the cam chain design and route through the case. To support this, I posted a picture of the cam chain cutaway. Furthermore, the sound (while bad, and annoying) is not bad enough to be a metal to metal sound.

Archived