Strange noise coming from engine ! FJ-09 Cam Chain

On my way to the dealer this morning, start the bike noise still there ride for about 5 km noise stops!! Just like a brand new bike! I dropped it to the dealer anyway so they can check it! Will keep you posted!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
On my way to the dealer this morning, start the bike noise still there ride for about 5 km noise stops!! Just like a brand new bike! I dropped it to the dealer anyway so they can check it! Will keep you posted!
That's a perfect symptom of a flaky CCT. It will either come back on the next cold startup, or it has worked through whatever was making it stick. Oil pressure is what regulates the tension.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Guest dmizer
That's a perfect symptom of a flaky CCT. It will either come back on the next cold startup, or it has worked through whatever was making it stick. Oil pressure is what regulates the tension.
I think it's already been mentioned somewhere previously, but the FJ-09 CCT isn't actuated by oil pressure.

• 2 weeks later...
just a quick update on that noise!! dealer did not find anything wrong with the bike... after i picked it up, i was riding home and it did it again just after i twist the gaz really hard in 2nd gear. stopped after about 5 km... Yesterday i did about 300km and it did not do it.

• 1 month later...
While I've always noticed a lot of cam chain noise today kind of startled me...I recently returned from vacation which I rode my fj 950 miles one day, about 80 the next, about 300 the next and then Saturday I rode 750 miles home.
Today I took her to fill up and grab some groceries and noticed that the cam chain noise had gotten significantly louder and was actually quite concerning compared to what it was before. I've got 7000 miles on her now and a ways to go before the year is up in April for the warranty.
I will definitely pay attention to the oil when I change it and see what I find.
Hope everyone else is enjoying theirs as much as I am mine!!

• 3 months later...
The clutch basket on this bike is really loud, and could be mistaken for cam chain noise. You'll hear it and be alarmed if you're sitting with the transmission in neutral with the clutch lever released, but it will disappear if you pull the clutch lever in. I suspect that many of you who are hearing the noise come and go are actually hearing the clutch basket and not the cam chain.

• Premium Member
The clutch basket on this bike is really loud, and could be mistaken for cam chain noise. You'll hear it and be alarmed if you're sitting with the transmission in neutral with the clutch lever released, but it will disappear if you pull the clutch lever in. I suspect that many of you who are hearing the noise come and go are actually hearing the clutch basket and not the cam chain.
I agree as you have dmized. My noise goes away with the clutch in also. I don't worry about it.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I agree as you have dmized. My noise goes away with the clutch in also. I don't worry about it.
And at just over 20,000 miles it gets even less noisy.  Fact.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Its not my imagination had 3 other people hear the noise plain as day.  Sounds like a clatter or something metal hitting something metal it does not sound normal at all. Drove under 40 mph for a mile came back and still heard the noise. Bike has 467 miles ............................cam chain tensioner?Heres two vids [video src=http://youtu.be/3QA0DC9M8Zc] [video src=http://youtu.be/S9TAVBSQQlA]

My fj = same sound. I think its normal.

Mine sounds the same also. Not sure if other fj's do this but after starting the bike up and letting it get to operating temp. (140 to 150) the first mile seems quite sluggish after that is go time. So do others experience this as well?
Good to start engine and ride it slowly until warm or normal operating temp before "go time".   Just good practice.  Therefore I have never noticed what you are talking about.  Good luck with that. 
On the brighter side, I now have 25,000 miles on the FJ and even though I also had the same problem with the noise, and my friends also were constantly making note of the crazy noise from the engine as I rode across the parking lot.  I took it to the dealer (twice) and could never get it to be as loud there and always got that it was NORMAL.  So I just rode it, mile after mile.

After not thinking much about it for the last 15,000 miles, I notice that it is much quieter.  I know many of you will take two - four years to get to 25K and putting up with that noise will drive you crazy, but it appears to me that it is not a problem (yet) and I will go ahead and get my Valve adjust and continue to ride.  Anyway, I use ear plugs and that really helps quiet things down.  I also found keeping it above 5-6000 rpm produces a better sound, one which brings a big smile to the sad face produced by the kackity kack.   :)

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• 1 month later...
The problem with hydraulic drive cam chain tensioners, being driven by he engines oil pressure, is when you back out of the throttle, and the oil pressure drops, the tensioners have a tendency to back out and throw off the cam timing. This was a major issue in at the beginning of racing CBR600F2's back in the '90s.

Bottom line, for what APE Mfg. sells manual cct's for?? $90 something like that. buy one and install it, cheap insurance for the protection of your motor. Or you can deal with the dealer about why your valves kissed your piston because you "over revved" your engine when actually you cam chain tensioner failed. I'll bet the time one wastes dealing with the dealership would be well worth the $90.

I was led to believe from previous posts that the cam tensioner is not operated hydraulically on this model.  Some clarification from a reliable technical source would be greatly appreciated.  I am interested in purchasing an FJ09, and am concerned that this is a major mechanical issue.  My experience with this type of tensioner is very limited.  I have driven Honda Goldwings since 1980 and have not experienced any issues re: cam tensioners.  If this is a long time issue that is not being addressed by Yamaha, then I think I would wait to buy one until they seek a reliable solution. 

Cosmo - its an easy fix if you have the issue. Manual cct for under $100. I don't think they have a solution or have even admitted a problem.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Archived