Guess which manufacturer is most reliable?

foxedupone

I would like to see an update of those ratings...Suzuki most likely would have appeared and pushed Broken Motor Werks off the list based on the high fail rate that is being witnessed in the K1600 series. Sam and Sydney Liles can give you a nice rundown of the 1600GTLE that let him down in the IBR last summer, dead with only 2,576 miles on the clock when it suffered terminal brain damage.

• Premium Member
I love anecdotes whether collected by CR or posted on the interwebs. Here's another one on those darn 1600GTs: 
http://transcondrivers.org/2016/01/27/man-breaks-solo-cannonball-motorcycle-record-from-la-to-nyc-in-38-hours-49-minutes/
I had one of those just before the FJ.  I can see it happening on that bike, but not with me on board.

• Premium Member
here's an endurance record from 1984 that still stands and is often quoted in the press
http://champ.org.uk/bikes/endtoend.htm

I don't think the record will ever be beaten as nowadays there would be a helicopter filming you and a roadblock on the A9 before you got to Inverness...

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

40% fail rate for Bring My Wallet seems a little high. But, based on their consistent position as the mark with the highest fail rate in the IBR it is not surprising. I think part of the problem is BMWs insistence on becoming the most tech heavy bike out there. When you are trying to be on the bleeding edge of integrated technology, well, you bleed alot. Congrats to Mssr. Reese and his support team for getting him across the country in 39 hours. BMW has built some spectacular bikes recently, the K16 being one of them. Their execution recently has left something to be desired, hence their low quality rankings. The 16 was on my list prior to my last FJR coming home. Too many engine issues to count in those early bikes. One of my riding partners went thru 2 of them, 2012's, both with less than 6K on the clock before the engines went kaput. I think they have the engine issue sorted now, the most recent failures I read of are centered around the electrics. And the GTL and GTLE have some very trick electrical gizmos as part of the package.

One thing BMW has going for them is a retention rate only The Motor Company can challenge them on. No matter how bad things get, BMW owners will buy another BMW. They are basically H-D folks minus the tattoos.

• Premium Member
900 miles in 1 day is easily doable in the US by the average fast rider on middle America interstates with a good radar detector. Smoke breaks, stretching, meals and gas stops kill my average speed so I end up having to ride into the night the few times I have done 600-900 mile days. I've done 900 mile days. But yeah 77mph all day average on a 70's tech Laverda is not bad at all.

here's an endurance record from 1984 that still stands and is often quoted in the press http://champ.org.uk/bikes/endtoend.htm

I don't think the record will ever be beaten as nowadays there would be a helicopter filming you and a roadblock on the A9 before you got to Inverness...

While it will never be recognized by any associations or other sanctioning body, I think Warchild's Hell week will be a vary hard feat to duplicate. Seven days in a row of 1,500 miles per day is as punishing on your body as you will get. I know someone who did 1880 miles in 24 hours. It's a grind. There are a few folks who have cracked the 2K in 1 day barrier. That requires riding in "lightly populated areas."

With many interstates having 75/80mph limits now days a SaddleSore 1000 is within reach of most people. A ButtBurner 1500 will take a little more effort. I really admire the IBR folks managing to lay down 14,000 miles in 11 days...that is a feat.

Hell Week

• Premium Member
While it will never be recognized by any associations or other sanctioning body, I think Warchild's Hell week will be a vary hard feat to duplicate. Seven days in a row of 1,500 miles per day is as punishing on your body as you will get.
Warchild is a hell of a rider. I competed directly against him in the "Sweet Torture" segment of the infamous Rawhide rally in 1997. I rode ~1100 miles in 15 hours, which was well behind Warchild's total of over 1300 in the same period. I spent the first few hours riding from toilet to toilet while battling explosive diarrhea, so it was hard to catch up.

Steve Losofsky is known to have ridden 2000 miles in 24 hours. He did this by riding between remote gas stations in Nevada.

• 2 weeks later...
Back on the "manufacturer" topic -

By Press Release April 23, 2016

Hot on the heels of the company’s incredible success in the debut season of the MotoAmerica AMA/FIM North American Road Racing Championship in 2015, Yamaha Motor USA has again been named as an Official Manufacturer of the 2016 championship.
http://blog.motorcycle.com/2016/04/23/racing/yamaha-named-official-manufacturer-motoamerica/

Archived