GA rider.. Lane Splitting/Filtering

duhs10

I lane split in Oregon (pdx) if the traffic is at a standstill. I go about 5 MPH until it starts to move, then I get in a lane.

I've been so tempted to split on 84 on my way home from work. Traffic has gotten sooo bad in pdx.

the temptaion is strong, but I know Oregon police. They love to give tickets. This is actually getting support in the legislature this year so fingers crossed.

I lane split in Oregon (pdx) if the traffic is at a standstill. I go about 5 MPH until it starts to move, then I get in a lane.
I've been so tempted to split on 84 on my way home from work. Traffic has gotten sooo bad in pdx.

2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

the temptaion is strong, but I know Oregon police. They love to give tickets. This is actually getting support in the legislature this year so fingers crossed. 

" The Oregon House Committee on Transportation and Economic Development put a stop to what looked like a promising endeavor to make lane splitting legal in the state. 
Oregon SB694, which got a unanimous vote in the Senate Judiciary committee and passed with a comfortable two-thirds majority in the Oregon Senate, was denied access to a general vote by committee we mentioned one paragraph earlier."

Read more: http://www.autoevolution.com/news/oregon-kills-lane-splitting-law-making-initiative-95889.html#ixzz49WWi2pOj

Keep trying!

• Premium Member
I have been riding/commuting/filtering in the greater San Francisco Bay Area for 16 years.  It is not legal, but I do it anyway.  Why?  Saves time.  Saves me from getting rear-ended by distracted drivers.  It's way more fun to ride.

If living in another state I would do the same thing, legal or not, for the same reasons.  My view is this: No injured person or property = no crime!

Here's a recent clip of my filtering through the "Novato Narrows" on a Saturday afternoon.

I have been riding/commuting/filtering in the greater San Francisco Bay Area for 16 years.  It is not legal, but I do it anyway.  Why?  Saves time.  Saves me from getting rear-ended by distracted drivers.  It's way more fun to ride.  

California law does not allow or prohibit motorcycles from passing other vehicles proceeding in the same direction within the same lane, a practice often called "lane splitting," "lane sharing" or "filtering." 
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/about/lane_splitting

• 2 weeks later...

California law does not allow or prohibit motorcycles from passing other vehicles proceeding in the same direction within the same lane, a practice often called "lane splitting," "lane sharing" or "filtering." 
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/about/lane_splitting

California Assembly Bill 51 would re-affirm the California Highway Patrol’s authority to issue lane-splitting guidelines for the state’s roadways. This important legislation is now scheduled for a hearing on June 14, 2016, in the Senate Transportation and Housing Committee. 
The American Motorcyclist Association supports this legislation and encourages you to contact your state senator now and urge them to vote for AB 51. Fill out the form at the bottom of this page and click the red “Submit” button.

https://cqrcengage.com/amacycle/app/write-a-letter?2&engagementId=217793&ep=AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAxPMwh2li1RW6B9SrWRONUEpK_WOpJAntS3vR26jzI2TPBw62rCBX_3SZkdDxboXNESEVfzPeFgACCAmPsbrWREaylql7LO85FB0piyFcUI6Y&lp=0

Even better -- the bill has already been amended to remove the specific lingo the CHP wanted to use as if it was part of the CVC.  
I suppose the AMA has to walk a line in how they portray it since they've been a shill for the industry to extract more money from individuals and hand it over to lobbyists.

Here is one point of view on the change - 
"From a legal point of view, this law would simply formalize the codification of lane-splitting in California, without actually changing anything for motorists.

What it would do specifically though is give the California Highway Patrol, and other stakeholders in driver education, firm standing on the subject of lane-splitting, thus granting them the ability to teach and set educational guidelines (not laws or regulations) on the practice.

This is where the original AB 51 law held a strong advantage, as it was bright-line rule on what safe and legal lane-splitting looked like in the eyes of the law, which would have meant fewer hassles by over-zealous policeman, and fewer hassles with insurance company adjusters as well.

While this new language loses that important advantage, it does set a legal precedent that can benefit lane-splitting efforts in other states. With California codifying lane-splitting, efforts to do the same in other states could be bolstered."
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/california-codify-lane-splitting-proposal/
https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2016/05/31/lane-splitting-in-california-bill-ab-51-amended/

As for the AMA being a "shill" (noun: shill; plural noun: shills - 1. an accomplice of a hawker, gambler, or swindler who acts as an enthusiastic customer to entice or encourage others.), I think that is a bit harsh for an organization that has promoted and aided in many positive legislative changes for motorcyclists.  You may not agree with all of it's goals and activities, but that's probably true of all organizations.  Hiring lobbyists is one major way to effect change in American governments, that's a fact of life in modern time, as many citizens are too busy watching Dancing With Stars or some other garbage to be involved in things that actually affect their lives.  Many of the changes you approve of were effected with the use of lobbyists as spokespeople for a cause.

... as many citizens are too busy watching Dancing With Stars or some other garbage to be involved in things that actually affect their lives.  Many of the changes you approve of were effected with the use of lobbyists as spokespeople for a cause.

So true....

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• 2 weeks later...
California Assembly Bill 51 would re-affirm the California Highway Patrol’s authority to issue lane-splitting guidelines for the state’s roadways. This important legislation is now scheduled for a hearing on June 14, 2016, in the Senate Transportation and Housing Committee. ...

Another step - 
June 17, 2016

A state Assembly bill that would allow motorcycle lane-splitting in California has moved closer to a vote.

California’s AB 51, sponsored by Assembly member Bill Quirk (D-Hayward), intends to create guidelines for safe lane-splitting, a practice the proposed legislation describes as a motorcyclist passing other vehicles “by riding between them along the lane line.”

On Tuesday, Quirk’s bill was passed by the Senate Transportation Committee with unanimous support, the lawmaker’s office said.

It will go to the Appropriations Committee, to determine its financial effect. If it passes there, Quirk’s office said, the bill would proceed to the Senate floor for a vote, and if approved at that level move to the Assembly for a final vote.

Another step - 
June 17, 2016

A state Assembly bill that would allow motorcycle lane-splitting in California has moved closer to a vote.

California’s AB 51, sponsored by Assembly member Bill Quirk (D-Hayward), intends to create guidelines for safe lane-splitting, a practice the proposed legislation describes as a motorcyclist passing other vehicles “by riding between them along the lane line.”

On Tuesday, Quirk’s bill was passed by the Senate Transportation Committee with unanimous support, the lawmaker’s office said.

It will go to the Appropriations Committee, to determine its financial effect. If it passes there, Quirk’s office said, the bill would proceed to the Senate floor for a vote, and if approved at that level move to the Assembly for a final vote.

Even though this doesn't directly affect us GA riders, hopefully it will set a precedent for other states to follow in terms of getting something on the books.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Avoiding a patrolling constable from the shoulder may require a ninja U turn on the highway, hope that license plate is in a gud spot, headlights vs tail-lights = 2x double warp speed (not recommended) ...if u get busted just dodging tailights, Just convince a judge you were avoiding a possibly dangerous situation from traffic behind you [or u could just move faster legally 2 if u hav enough space between fenders and bumpers if it isn't 2 thick] (delta v < 20-30 mph) and u got space in front of u between the dashed lines to clear, No worries, no fears ... just ride like u got the wind in your face and the sun at ur back, lots of luck between the stacks ( am I reckless to avoid an accidental rear end collision that may cost me my life...(site Berkeley study)..I think not your honor, I just couldn't find a place to re-integrate into traffic safely) sounds like reasonable doubt to me????  My punctuation sux at 4am... Any feedback? Lookout for motorcycle cops they'll giv u a burnout n site u gud for points in state.. Usually a 4 wheeler tries to nab u round Philly so it's easier 2 get away, if u want.... Constables should spend their time elsewhere, rather than frivolously citing people who are potentially only harming themselves and causing minimal property and bodily injury to others.

• 1 year later...
If lane splitting was not allowed in California, Motorcycle sales would hit rock bottom and dealers would close their doors.  Motorcycles are so great for bypassing morning commute back ups at intersections, almost too good...... sad.png

CVC_21209_a.jpg
Violation.jpg