New guy here

taters

Hi guys, I hope this is an introduce yourself thread. New to this stuff. I currently ride a tiger 800. I'm thinking about trading it in for an fi 09. 
Ive been looking at utube videos and it gets great reviews. However a few of the videos said it had vibration problems and a few said the breaks need to be stronger. But no one said it was a deal breaker.. Any thoughts?  I would be interested in knowing how to fix the breaks so that they are more responsive. Curious about vibration problems.  Thanks in advance and I'm glad I found you guys. taters

• Premium Member
The brakes are perfectly adequate for solo riders like me.

I suspect the comments about the brakes being weak come from those used to riding sports bikes where using the front brake is all you use. The FJ/Tracer has relatively soft suspension with longer travel than many road bikes. Therefore, you need to use balanced braking where judicious use of the rear brake will reduce fork dive and stop the bike very rapidly whilst remaining very stable.

Vibration: this is very subjective. As someone used to twin cylinder bikes the Tracer seems quite smooth to me. Again, if someone comes from an inline 4 then the inherent vibrations of the triple cylinder engine will seem different, maybe excessive.

Take one for a test ride. Decide for yourself rather than worry about the subjective views of people you have never met.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Vibration is really minimal, certainly not an issue. And I swear, the more miles I have on it (currently 11,000) the smoother it feels. I have never thought it had a "vibration problem." Also speaking of subjective, since I came from a 1993 TDM 850...the breaks feel AWESOME to me, haha.

Vibration: this is very subjective. As someone used to twin cylinder bikes the Tracer seems quite smooth to me. Again, if someone comes from an inline 4 then the inherent vibrations of the triple cylinder engine will seem different, maybe excessive.
I'm coming from another triple: Triumph Street Triple R. My FJ-09 has a bit more vibration than does my STripleR, but it doesn't bother me. And after riding the KTM 690 single, the FJ-09 is butter smooth.  :P
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Hi guys, I hope this is an introduce yourself thread. New to this stuff. I currently ride a tiger 800. I'm thinking about trading it in for an fi 09.  Ive been looking at utube videos and it gets great reviews. However a few of the videos said it had vibration problems and a few said the breaks need to be stronger. But no one said it was a deal breaker.. Any thoughts?  I would be interested in knowing how to fix the breaks so that they are more responsive. Curious about vibration problems.  Thanks in advance and I'm glad I found you guys. taters
So I picked my FJ up yesterday, after 125 miles this is what I think.......FREAKING AWESOME!!!!  I am not sure what kind of rider you are, but I have also heard people say things like whining noise, clanky transmission, wind noise, this and that.  Does it whine, yes, but it also growls, does it clank, yes, but to me it is a positive engagement clank, kinda like big cruiser bikes, does it have wind noise, yes, what bike doesn't? Is the throttle a little snatchy, yes, but damn this is a great bike, if you don't like the snatchy throttle ride it in rain mode.  This thing needs traction control or you'd be riding everywhere on 1 wheel.  It would probably hit the limiter in 2nd gear, I put a V-Stream sport touring windscreen on mine, was worried about helmet buffeting, it has none.  I noticed some cross wind while crossing an open field, noticed crosswind on every other bike I have own as well, some more than others, this one is just fine.  The breaks are far better than some of the bikes I have owned, it comes with ABS standard, first for me.  It does vibrate some, nothing like the singles I have owned and certainly less than Harley's.  The seat is not as good as I would like, but my cure for that is a big layer of sheepskin that I need to install.  I used the sheepskin on a stock KLR seat and rode all day and night.  I like how the seat is wider than what I came from so once I put the sheepskin on it will be like spending hundreds of dollars on an aftermarket seat. I also noticed that when your just tooling around that there is an ECO mode that shows up on the dash.  I averaged almost 48 miles per gallon while riding yesterday.  That to me for the power the bike has and the fun it offers is sweet, it should also get better with time.  I have never rode a tiger 800, they look cool, but the FJ looks better.  I am also not sure what kind of power the tiger has, but I will say the FJ is a F'ING BEAST.  One complaint I can see happening is the fact that you will probably go through tires if you are an aggressive rider.  This bike has a lot of character, someone used the term "mischievous", I agree with them.  The only other complaint I have is that I do not have enough time to ride it more.  

Archived