New review on Revzilla Common Tread

suncoaster

New review on Revzilla Common Tread
http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/fj-09-yamahas-other-sport-touring-bike

I quote:
"If these two bikes were animals, the FJR would be an ostrich, big, heavy, and fast.
The FJ-09 would be a hummingbird.
A deranged, pissed-off, petrol-sucking hummingbird darting from branch to branch faster than the eye can follow."

"It is one of the most grin-inducing machines I have ridden."

Enjoying my (second) FJ, especially now that I'm getting it sorted, but IMHO it's a misnomer to call it a sport-tourer. If it was a cocktail (to carry on the comparison motif above) it would be one drop of touring Vermouth to a bucketful of sport vodka (or gin).   Shaken, not stirred, of course!
[em]W[/em]

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
Stereotyping bikes by genre has always been a bit hit and miss.

The Tracer is no R6, Super Tenere or FJR.

It is a fun motorcycle that has massive utility. It is a competent commuter with a high seat so you can see over cars and a relatively narrow profile (ex-luggage) suited to filtering where permitted. It tours well and will happily sit on a German autobahn all day at over 100mph if you are in a hurry to get to Munich. Best of all, as I am about to do, you can take it out into the Cotswolds and thrash the nuts off it, enjoying the power and torque the motor makes.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Stereotyping bikes by genre has always been a bit hit and miss.

Amen to that, you can sport tour anything you want. I've done 5+ day rides on a Honda XR650L with 1000+cc bikes and had a great time. It did have CBR600F2 wheels with some good rubber. I also did 2 weeks on a Honda 919 going from SoCal to Mount Rushmore and back.

I can't wait for my first multi day trip on the FJ next month.

His thoughts are exactly why I bought the bike, I wanted a comfortable sporty bike that I could tour with. I didn't want a sport tourer with a 're-tuned' engine. I also didn't want anything with clip-ons or full fairings, I wanted something my girlfriend would be comfortable on for day long rides, and also be able to attach some luggage and go cross country. Most of all it had to do all of this while still being an exciting and fun bike that i would lay in bed and think about.

It's an "Exciting" bike!! you can't deny it. Granted it's not as comfortable in the seat dept as my Blackbird, but I'll get to fixing that.

I looked at a F800GT but when I took it for a 3 day ride, how disappointed was I - hugely! There was no FUN factor, no VIBE, no THRILL...it was BORING!

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

It's an "Exciting" bike!! you can't deny it. Granted it's not as comfortable in the seat dept as my Blackbird, but I'll get to fixing that. 
I looked at a F800GT but when I took it for a 3 day ride, how disappointed was I - hugely! There was no FUN factor, no VIBE, no THRILL...it was BORING!

I owned a GT for some months, being a dyed-in-the-wallet BMW'er.   In many respects an excellent machine and good-looking too, and I lurved the belt-drive.   But oh so gutless on the road.   Now - an ideal marriage would be the Tracer's engine in a GT everything-else! [em]W[/em]

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Archived