Corbin Customer Service

I'm looking for some feedback on the customer service anyone has experienced with Corbin Seats.  I have been trying for over 3 weeks to get samples of some color choices so I can design and order my seat.  I'm starting to worry that if they can't get me samples in a reasonable amount of time, how long will it take to get my seat.  I may have to try Sargent but would still prefer Corbin.  Any comments would be appreciated.  Thanks
Brad
Selbyville, DE

• Premium Member
I'm looking for some feedback on the customer service anyone has experienced with Corbin Seats.  I have been trying for over 3 weeks to get samples of some color choices so I can design and order my seat.  I'm starting to worry that if they can't get me samples in a reasonable amount of time, how long will it take to get my seat.  I may have to try Sargent but would still prefer Corbin.  Any comments would be appreciated.  Thanks
Last time I bought a Corbin -- 10 years ago I believe -- it took around two months to get it delivered, having ordered it in I think February.  They were up front about that, though, and their projected delivery time was reasonable nably accurate.  Also, it took about two months to get it repaired when I damaged the leather.  While I wasn't crazy about those wait times, they weren't out of line with those of other specialty product manufacturers (just you try to get a custom Aerostich suit delivered before June if you order it right now, right?). 
My understanding is that their responsiveness has taken a turn for the worse over the last few years, however.  YMMV, but after a couple of friends relayed stories of very long delivery times and near-total lack of responsiveness of customer service, I'm motivated to look at Sargent instead when the budget is there for a(nother) new seat.  That's too bad, because the Corbin seat on my SV650S was bar none the most comfortable seat of any on any motorcycle I have ever ridden (much less owned).  I would LOVE to have that seat on the FJ.  (They don't actually offer anything like that for the FJ or I might give it a shot regardless.)

I currently have the Yamaha "comfort" seat, which I believe I reviewed last year on this site.  After riding it several thousand miles the foam hasn't broken in appreciably, which is to say it still feels like a plank after about three hours.  The shape is very good for my butt and the way I sit on the FJ though, making it far superior to the stock seat as well as the Seat Concepts kit.  (Sure wish it had the foam from the Seat Concepts kit.)

On the other hand, if I'm to the point where the hardness of the seat is starting to piss me off it's probably beyond time for a break anyway, so it's a safety measure. :-)

I'm planning to try something else at earliest opportunity.  I might have a local place replace the foam, which would be a lot less expensive than any other option.

Of course, the other thing Sargent offers that I have never had before is a heated seat option.  I can't say as I ever felt like I needed that, but on the other hand I notice I am using the heated grips a hell of a lot now that I have them....
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Thanks Jimf.  I'm really glad to hear how much you liked your previous Corbin seats.  I will probably just bite the bullet and go with them.  Still waiting for the Sargent to be released on April 25th.  I'm a 245 pounder so a hard seat would be my preference.
Brad
Selbyville, DE

• Premium Member
Not sure if this helps, because I haven't received my seat yet, but I ordered mine in early April, and they said delivery was about 4 weeks out.

Thanks PCWizz, if you think about it, could you please post when you receive your seat. I'm really hoping you DO receive it within the 4 weeks. That's the time frame they quoted me as well. 
Brad
Selbyville, DE

ORDERED THE CORBIN SEAT ON APRIL 6TH FROM MARTY @ CORBIN VIA PHONE CALL. HE QUOTED APPROX 2-3 WEEKS. I HAVE CALLED A FEW TIMES YEST & TODAY AND CANNOT REACH ANYONE WITH UPDATE OR STATUS. BEING IN THE MANUFACTURING BUSINESS FOR 30 YRS HAS AFFORDED ME THE OPINION THAT PAYING FULL COST UP FRONT DOES NOT LEAD TO ANY HASTE (OR BETTER STATED MOTIVATION) IN BUILDING & DELIVERING A PRODUCT. TOLD PAYMENT IN FULL WAS REQUIRED. I REALIZE THEY ARE PRODUCING A COMPLETELY CUSTOM PRODUCT BUT WOULD HAVE PREFERRED A DEPOSIT (UP TO HALF PERHAPS) AND WOULD BET THE LEAD TIME WOULD BE REDUCED IF FINAL PAYMENT WAS HINGING ON DELIVERY.

THEN AGAIN, THIS SLIGHT RANT COULD BE BASED ON THE FACT THAT THE STOCK SEAT IS NOT MY FRIEND.

MODS: YOSHI FENDER ELIM...V-STREAM TALL TOURING SCREEN...SW MOTECH OFFSET BAR RISERS...KAOKO THROTTLE LOCK...CORTECH TOP & SIDE BAGS
NEXT MOD: 17/43 GEAR CHANGE

ORDERED THE CORBIN SEAT ON APRIL 6TH ....... 
THEN AGAIN, THIS SLIGHT RANT COULD BE BASED ON THE FACT THAT THE STOCK SEAT IS NOT MY FRIEND.

Most people will not bother to read posts written in all upper case. I don't read all lower case either. YMMV.
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Thanks for the info,  I can't wait to see when you receive it.  I've been trying for over a month to get samples so I can decide on what color.  I think I should get them this week after my latest call.  I need to see the black leather vs. the Bomber Jacket black.  Glad to hear about the weight issue. 
Brad
Selbyville, DE

• Premium Member
I have the Corbin seat since the bike is brand new and for me the seat is still a little firm. I may have it refoamed to something softer. I do like much better than the stock seat.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• Premium Member
Thanks PCWizz, if you think about it, could you please post when you receive your seat. I'm really hoping you DO receive it within the 4 weeks. That's the time frame they quoted me as well. 
Sure, I'll let you know when I get it!

Quoted 12 weeks with delivery to Aus. 
Almost dropped my coffee.
Have you looked into the Bagster alternative?   I'm given 5 - 6 weeks ex [em]la belle[/em] [em]France.[/em] [em]Wordsmith - '39 model - Brisbane, Queensland, Australia[/em]

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I finally got the samples I wanted.  It only took 4 days once I reached the right person.  The color I liked best was Yamaha Charcoal but it was not available in leather, only vinyl so I'm going with Black Bomber Jacket with the Carbonfiber vinyl sides.  I'll be ordering tomorrow.  My a$$ can't wait.
Brad
Selbyville, DE

• Premium Member
Seat arrived today, Saturday April 23, 2016. I didn't get any notice from Corbin that it had shipped. I placed my order on April 1st (no joke) and got it on the 23rd.

Installation was pretty straight forward, although it is a tight fit. I think I remembered others saying that it loosens up after a bit, but I had to push down a might hard to get it to latch. (and yes, the cables are out of the way and not being crimped)

Hope this helps,

David

Archived