Flash Tune (in Orange County, California)

maxxam

Does anybody have any direct experience or input regarding Flash Tune dot com? I am all for supporting our online vendors but the Flash Tune guys are (1) 20 minutes from my home. (2) Experienced (but I still need feedback) (3) Also make/sell the plug & play quick shifter. :)

Thanks in advance!

• Premium Member
I could be wrong but I looked into this option also and if I recall I ended up going with Nels as he offers free reflashes if needed. I believe Flashtune develops the software that Nels uses and Nels makes small changes he deems needed after testing on the dyno. Again I'm not 100% positive on this.
Bill
2015 Heeled by the hands of Nel's @ 2WheelDynoworks
K-Tech forks and shock
lots of other expensive unimportant stuff.
The "Ex" 2003 FZ1
Ride more, worry less.

Hi, Flash Tune is a fine choice since you're local, in fact as stated above, our supporting vendor in Washington licenses Flash Tune's software for his flashes. I had mine flashed by Nels in Washington because I was going up there anyway, but otherwise I would have done it with Flash Tune.

Nels uses the Flash tune software. The difference is Flash tune puts in a base map that they deem fit, but Nels custom develops the flashes for each exhaust and has the dyno graphs to prove it. Plus if you make changes or have issues you can always get hold of him for support.

im also considering this, i'm driving by there this summer(long road trip), they say i can pop by and they can flash my ecu on the spot so no downtime sending the ecu by mail. my goal is mainly to fix the twichy throttle so i think this would do the trick...

im also considering this, i'm driving by there this summer(long road trip), they say i can pop by and they can flash my ecu on the spot so no downtime sending the ecu by mail. my goal is mainly to fix the twichy throttle so i think this would do the trick...
You're right on.  Make an appointment so they are expecting you like I did and you'll be in and out in about an hour if I recall.  

You're right on.  Make an appointment so they are expecting you like I did and you'll be in and out in about an hour if I recall.
Yeah I'll call them a week or so before, did the flash fix the jerky throttle in std and a mode? 

Yeah I'll call them a week or so before, did the flash fix the jerky throttle in std and a mode?
Let's say it greatly reduced the jerkiness, especially in A mode. I've still got a four cylinder Ninja that's smoother, but I love the FJ more!  

Guest bruinfj09guy
Thanks for the input guys - all very helpful. I will report back my findings and decisions.
Any findings on Flash Tune yet? Do you know what they charge?

Also, for anyone that has had a flash, did you lose any power along with the loss of jerkiness? I presume they always delete the 114 governor?

The FJ is the first bike I have owned in about 25 years...so I'm new to all of this computer controls ECU ...etc.

I am considering re-flashing mainly to remove the 115 speed limiter, I would like to take the bike out on a track day... I do have a couple questions about options.

Will the reflash of the ECU change emissions performance of the bike? ... living in SoCal I have a real concerns about this. I suspect motorcycles will be required to pass emissions at some point in the near future.

A friend of mine suggested to just install a Power Commander as an alternative. The price is comparable to a reflash. So I jumped onto the Power Commander website to do some research. It looks like it is not a direct replacement for the ECU but designed to work with it? ... is this true? Will it override the speed limiter? .. if so I do see an advantage as it could just as easily be removed to restore the bike back to a stock configuration if needed ...

The FJ is the first bike I have owned in about 25 years...so I'm new to all of this computer controls ECU ...etc. 
I am considering re-flashing mainly to remove the 115 speed limiter, I would like to take the bike out on a track day... I do have a couple questions about options.

Will the reflash of the ECU change emissions performance of the bike? ... living in SoCal I have a real concerns about this. I suspect motorcycles will be required to pass emissions at some point in the near future.

Possibly. Reflashing may change how and when the bike runs in "closed loop" mode, which is when the fuel injection system is adjusting itself based on feed back from the o2 sensor. So it would depend on the programming of the reflash and how the emissions are measured.

I'm sure that 2 wheel dyno works would flash it back to stock if you failed an emissions test and you needed a stock map.

A friend of mine suggested to just install a Power Commander as an alternative. The price is comparable to a reflash. So I jumped onto the Power Commander website to do some research. It looks like it is not a direct replacement for the ECU but designed to work with it? ... is this true? Will it override the speed limiter? .. if so I do see an advantage as it could just as easily be removed to restore the bike back to a stock configuration if needed ...

Correct, it controls the injector timing in tandem with the ECUs programming. It will also require a dyno tune in order for the bike to run its best. It will NOT override the speed limiter.

Hope that helps,
Skip

Archived