Making the headlights match.

Guest bruinfj09guy

Guest bruinfj09guy
I'm taking the lazy way as I haven't searched the topic.

Has anyone tried to configure the headlights to both be on in low and both switch to hibeam for hibeam? I'm not really a fan of the pop-eye look. I'd rather each side be consistent with the other.

• Premium Member
I'm taking the lazy way as I haven't searched the topic. 
Has anyone tried to configure the headlights to both be on in low and both switch to hibeam for hibeam? I'm not really a fan of the pop-eye look. I'd rather each side be consistent with the other.
I'm not a fan of the look either and even did a mod on my old FZ6 to change this.  But I've since read the reason for the look is safety.   Theoretically two headlights together can give less aware drivers the illusion of a car approaching from a greater distance so as they glance up from their text they pull out in front of you quickly thinking the opening is there.  
IMO the bulb out look is also more "noticeable" than riding around with brights on in daylight hours. 

So safety is a consideration for me with this

What I did was use the adjustment screw to point the high beam to the same level as the regular beam and run with my high beams on at all times.

I currently don't have a high beam, but I don't do a lot of night highway riding, and I plan on getting a LED light bar and attach it under the main fairing and use that as my high beam when I need it.

• Premium Member
I don't think there is a high beam per se. The "high beam" switch just switches the 2nd LED headlight on and it is aimed to give a longer view.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I've got mine set so both are not too high, but the high beam pattern is not as cut off as the low, so it's not easy. You have to raise the low beam and set the high really low. This gives a pretty good pattern, and I don't get many folks flashing me during the day, but it happens at night.

I'd like to re-adjust them so they are higher at night on high beam, up slightly on low, and as another guy noted, add a 12" light bar with a spot middle, and fog sides to fill in the mid range the rest of the time on it's own switch so it's on whenever I want it on.

I ride empty country roads at night from time to time and the extra light is life.

Guest bruinfj09guy
Thanks for the responses. I'll just leave mine as is for now. I like having the option to turn on the high beam, so I don't want to sacrifice that.

Hi all, this is my first post here in the fórum.

I wanted to point out something after reading what javashot1 posted.

For safety reasons having 2 lights on is better tan one. This is because at a distance, the brain needs points of reference to calculate the speed of an object. When a car is aproaching, the way that the 2 lights are percieved as separating will give the driver a better understanding of the speed of the vehicle. With only 1 light on (motorcycle) it is much harder to calculate the speed of it coming at the driver.

Hope this makes sense.

Hi all, this is my first post here in the fórum. 
I wanted to point out something after reading what javashot1 posted.

For safety reasons having 2 lights on is better tan one. This is because at a distance, the brain needs points of reference to calculate the speed of an object. When a car is aproaching, the way that the 2 lights are percieved as separating will give the driver a better understanding of the speed of the vehicle. With only 1 light on (motorcycle) it is much harder to calculate the speed of it coming at the driver.

Hope this makes sense.
Your logic then suggests that having 2 lights on a motorbike is safer???

By your way of thinking, the 2 lights close together would appear as a far away car, giving oncoming drivers the perception that they can pull out and overtake.

I'll stick with my one light.

I sometimes ride with my high beams on during the day to increase visibility. However, I just always assume that nobody ever sees me and constantly plan accordingly. Therefore changing the way the lights operate would be more of a aesthetic change than a safety related change IMO. To each their own....

I would think the easiest way to have both the lights on all the time would be to aim the low beam higher and high beam lower, as stated previously in this thread. After doing this if you feel you need more light at night, buy a light bar or spot lights that can be activated separately from the headlights to act as the "high beams."

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
I thought it was kind of strange that Yam went with the pirate look considering how easy it is to use PWM and a good MOSFET to change LED brightness. My guess is they had to work around some kind of draconian legal requirement about having separate circuitry and filaments for high and low beams or something ridiculous like that.

• Premium Member
Yeah, I also ride with the adjusted high beam lamp. I sometimes hit the high beam switch, and my ridin' buddies immediately let me know. They tell me it makes quite a difference. 99% day rider. If I need the high beam, I just jack it back up. No big deal, and it's buckets cheaper then Clearwaters. My buddy has the Darlas on his R1200r and he looks like a 737 coming in for a landing. BRIGHT!!! AND frickin spendy. He likes them and that's all that matters!
Ride safe my friends!
2015 FJ 09 Matte Gray
2006 FJR 1300
IBA member

• 2 months later...
I plan on getting a LED light bar and attach it under the main fairing and use that as my high beam when I need it. 

This is probably the best option for those wanting the dual headlight. I bought some pod LED lights in a spot light beam to do exactly this.

I'm thinking of tapping the high beam off of the low beam so that I can still use the OEM high beam switch to activate the pods.

I should have everything on and adjusted by Sunday hopefully and I'll post back here to share my results. Worst case scenario I'll have better "high beams" for those rural night rides.

• 1 year later...

Archived