one month in - info for newbies

2016 FJ09 - one month old 500 miles so far

some quick thoughts for new FJ owners, stuff i have learned or wish i knew / garnered from time on this site:

#1- awesome machine ,love it, huge step up from my previous CBR300

#2- fuel gauge -  it aint broke! mine doesn't budge from "full" until approx 115 miles, then it ticks down rapidly so prepare accordingly.

#3 - head light - not broke either - somehow missed the fact that only one side lights up until high beams come on

#4- noise - i read tons of really helpful input on this sight - thanks to all - about noise issue / windscreen problem
       I am 6-3 200lbs, wear  Icon Armada helmet always use foam ear plugs
       The noise was a huge issue when i got the bike, even being fully aware of the issue i was pretty surprised/ frustrated how bad it was.
       As in ... deafening roar over 55 mph. Coming off a naked bike it was pretty shocking how LOUD it was.
       could not even hear the engine over 50mph
       There are pages and pages of suggestions here - "known issues forum" hugely helpful info.
       Bottom line - seems like its different for every rider - rider size, helmet worn etc. Be  prepared to tinker a bit to get improvement...
       For me what has made a huge improvement: riding with no screen at all and using a "windjammer2" (20$ on amazon) on my helmet
       the windjammer is a kinda cuff that fits around the helmet to decrease turbulence
       the noise is now completely tolerable, can hear engine fairly well even at speed, still louder than my old naked tho
       gonna experiment with the  parabellum windscreen and flyscreen to see if that helps further

#5- seat - for me the stock seat is super comfortable

#6- riding position - find it pretty much perfect for a guy my height

#7- kick stand - a little awkward  to get it down since it is adjacent to the left peg and i have got big feet and boots- if you flip the peg up with         your left foot then engage the kickstand you can do it easily without looking once u get the hang of it

#8- the oil pan drain plug is a potentially vulnerable low point on the bike and there are reports here describing disastrous outcomes from                  damaging it -  the issue effects 2015 bikes and some early 2016's. Got lucky with mine - the plug on mine is side mounted vs the prior              inferior position.  Something worth checking before you get yours if possible.

hope u like the bike as much as i do...

I hear all this about wind noise, its just like any other bike for the most part. People say they cannot hear the engine, I am 6'2", 230 lbs use a V-stream sport touring windscreen. I have zero helmet buffeting, windscreen set at lowest position and I can hear everything, even the slight gear shift changes. That is another thing, a lot of people have complained about the transmission being a clunky shift. I only have 387 miles on mine and at first it was kind of like shifting a cruiser, but now it is butter smooth through all the gears. Not disclaiming anyones issues just providing feedback for my own personal experience. I freaking love this bike and about the only thing I would question is the chain slack, seems quite tight, but I am not a Yamaha R&D guy so I am sure they know their machines the best. Cannot imagine what this thing is gonna be like when I can rap it out to 10 grand, hold the f@#k on boy.

I hear all this about wind noise, its just like any other bike for the most part. People say they cannot hear the engine, I am 6'2", 230 lbs use a V-stream sport touring windscreen. I have zero helmet buffeting, windscreen set at lowest position and I can hear everything, even the slight gear shift changes. That is another thing, a lot of people have complained about the transmission being a clunky shift. I only have 387 miles on mine and at first it was kind of like shifting a cruiser, but now it is butter smooth through all the gears. Not disclaiming anyones issues just providing feedback for my own personal experience. I freaking love this bike and about the only thing I would question is the chain slack, seems quite tight, but I am not a Yamaha R&D guy so I am sure they know their machines the best. Cannot imagine what this thing is gonna be like when I can rap it out to 10 grand, hold the f@#k on boy.

When did you put your vstream windscreen on? Did you take your bike on the highway with the stock screen? I only ask because I've ridden several types of bikes and the wind noise on this one is deafening. If I stand up, where there theoretically should be more wind, the noise goes WAY down. I'm 6'1" so very similar height. If you have success with that screen, it may be worth it for me to try it. Keep us in the loop as you put more miles on it.

Just about every shifting problem I've seen on this forum has been due to old or incorrect oil and has been remedied with an oil change. That's even those that swore it couldn't be oil, an oil change fixed it. This is symptomatic of any bike with a wet clutch. Oil matters for wet clutch transmissions. With only 387, your oil hasn't gotten old yet, so I can understand if you've not experienced this on the FJ.

I don't really have an opinion on chain slack yet. I lean toward your sentiment though, seems tight but also seems as though Yamaha should know their bike. We are on the third season with this 09 triple platform and no changes to the chain spec as far as I know. They quietly changed the drain plug location, but not the chain spec.

10k rpm? Yeah. :D it's especially fun do drop it to 3rd gear to pass on a 2 lane highway.

If you think clean air vs turbulent is counter-intuitive imagine how confused some riders of other models get until they figure out that their fairing mounted mirrors are creating more of a problem than any of the several heights of windscreen they've tried (rofl)  

I haven't figured out my wind noise problem obviously, so I can't rule out hand guards or mirrors either.

I put the V-stream on from the start, this morning I leaned to the right (clear of the windscreen, way out by the hand guard) and my helmet went everywhere, came back to center and nothing. I have done some two, three lane stuff, get some wind shear from big trucks and those types but to me that is normal. When I first started riding it shifted through every gear like a cruiser, rpm, clank, new gear, now it dont make a noise what so ever. I came from a KLR, before that was a Yamaha stryker, so to me this is a normal wind noise type bike. I can hear my engine, the growl and whine of the air box, mostly everything, I make videos everyday with it, YouTube channel "Mike Mike Motorbike" go there and watch and listen for yourself. And yes, cannot wait to feel that pull at 10K, it puts a smile on my face just thinking about it.

#8- the oil pan drain plug is a potentially vulnerable low point on the bike and there are reports here describing disastrous outcomes from                  damaging it -  the issue effects 2015 bikes and some early 2016's. Got lucky with mine - the plug on mine is side mounted vs the prior              inferior position.  Something worth checking before you get yours if possible. 
hope u like the bike as much as i do...

Certainly something to consider. My '15 had it on the bottom and I upgraded to the new style one as I plan to do a substantial amount of 2-up riding and did not want the plug to be the lowest point. I swapped mine out in 2 evenings after work, basic hand tools and $150 for the pan, gasket and some extra drain plug crush washers. There is an excellent write up over on the how-to section of the forum. I added a few details on how I did mine. Not that difficult.  
Wanted to mention in case someone was shying away from a deal just because of the oil pan. 
'15 FJ-09 (Red) - DIY OEM Tidy Tail - Updated Oil Pan

tried the puig clip on wind deflector size medium with the reinstalled OEM windshield
rode 50 miles
noise worse then ever, tried all of the deflector's  positions

took off the deflector and windshield for my ride home
so much better without the windscreen

for a guy my size the deflector was useless

So, 9 days into ownership, ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS BIKE, guess that is a given seeing how I have 900 miles on it already. Will get my factory side bags put on this week, as well as a thorough cleaning. People are complaining about wind noise and buffeting. Is it only me that is not having this issue? I use the V-stream sport touring set in the lowest position and wear a MSR Expedition helmet and have no issues what so ever, I am 6'2". Just wondering, maybe I got the only one with perfect air flow design.

• Premium Member
So, 9 days into ownership, ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS BIKE,... People are complaining about wind noise and buffeting. Is it only me that is not having this issue? I use the V-stream sport touring ...
I love the bike too, but it is the factory screen that is so noisy. You have already replaced yours and thus have not been experiencing the noisy factory screen. 

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

tried the puig clip on wind deflector size medium with the reinstalled OEM windshield rode 50 miles

I think the factory screen may be too flimsy to mount the deflector on with any success. It helped some on my Ermax Touring screen. Still enough noise I have to wear good ear plugs though it's better than stock. Gives me the option of directing air at me or up over my head on the fly.

So, 9 days into ownership, ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS BIKE,... People are complaining about wind noise and buffeting. Is it only me that is not having this issue? I use the V-stream sport touring ...
I love the bike too, but it is the factory screen that is so noisy. You have already replaced yours and thus have not been experiencing the noisy factory screen. 

+1

tried the puig clip on wind deflector size medium with the reinstalled OEM windshield rode 50 miles

Are you wanting to sell it? Shoot me a PM if you are!

unfortunately have to report that neither the parabellum large windshield nor  the flyscreen helped.
wil be returning both.
think the parabellum would be a good solution if you are substantially shorter than 6-3

will try the v-stream next.

if thats not an improvement pretty content to go without any windscreen.

Archived