• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 40 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

2016 vs 2015 FJ 09

Hello All,

New member here. I have a 2015 FZ 09 that I'm thinking about trading in for the FJ. I love my FZ but just recently bought a house in Palm Springs and will have to make the 120 mile each way commute into Los Angeles once or twice a week so my needs have changed.

A few questions:

Is there a big difference in the 2016 vs 2015 FJ? I'm thinking I might negotiate a better deal on a 2015 but if there is a big difference in the 2016 maybe not.

How would you rate the FJ as a highway commuter?

Lastly, if anyone has been to Palm Springs Motorsports, what's your opinion of that dealership?

Thanks Much!

You're in luck! I live in Palm Desert and bought mine at Palm Springs Motorsports and you should be able to negotiate a great deal as they had something like five 2015s in stock (plus new 2016s) last week when I took mine in for service. I felt they were very fair with me on the price, but check the OTD price thread for the latest prices on 2015s as they should be much lower now than I paid, which was about $10,400 out the door including tax, license and everything just over a year ago. I would think you could get it now for under $10k total.

They're great to deal with on the purchase end and mediocre on the service end. I took mine in for a 12,000 mile service last week and the tech seemed sadly unfamiliar with the FJ-09. Oil changes and adjustments are no problem but the tech was not aware that there was a second 12 volt power lead (in addition to the one running to the cigarette lighter socket) that could be used for a GPS. Also when I got home I discovered that he had forgotten to re-install the plastic support for the seat so I had to make a trip back to the dealer to get it.

Bottom line....buy it from them and let them do the first few needed services then find an independent shop to take it to from then on. I have a very good mechanic in Palm Desert if you need one. Good luck!

Guest bruinfj09guy
If you intend to do that commute regularly you are going to want a good helmet that is especially quiet (I hear the Schuberth C3 Pro is good), an aftermarket windscreen (I'm still figuring this out and am waiting for places to have the VStream in stock again), updated rider footpegs (can be bought for about $10 on ebay), and potentially a better seat (think Corbin, at around $450). I've round trip between LA and SF a few times, and between out there in the desert and LA many times. I don't mind spending several hours on my FJ riding fun and twisty roads. I get sick of sitting on it on the freeway pretty quickly. My tune may change when I get a better windscreen and maybe another seat.

Instead, I would keep the FZ and look for a good used FJR. The FJ-09 is awesome, but you already have most of what is awesome about this bike. I'm not expert, but I think the suspension travel is longer on the FJ-09. I do think I would prefer the FJ to the FZ as there is a bit more bike there with the cowling, aux plugs, place for a windscreen (which needs updating from factory), option for hard bags, better passenger seat, etc.

There was an opportunity to buy a very well maintained '08 FJR out in Palm Springs, but it is already sold and sitting in my carport. :) I LOVE the FJR on the freeway. I had always wondered if I should have bought the FJR instead of the FJ-09, so I bought this used FJR to spend some time on to decide if it would be worth getting rid of the FJ-09 and buying a newer FJR (or just keeping the FJR I have). The truth is I love both bikes but for different reasons.

In short, I don't think you are looking at a substantial improvement in buying the FJ-09, for your purpose. Then again, it might be a good compromise, as you still would have that nimble and flickable triple to play with when you aren't commuting. But you are going to take a bath in the loss on your FZ, and you will again on the FJ once you take it off the lot. For about $5-6k you can find an FJR in very respectable condition. But, hey, this is one man's opinion.

I rode from downtown LA to Palm Springs to see my FJR about a month ago. It was a cold day. I rode the FJR back and went to get the FJ-09 the next day. It wouldn't be so bad to do the commute on the FJ-09 for the next few months, but the added wind protection of an FJR fairing with a larger aftermarket screen will be welcome come next winter.

Guest bruinfj09guy
Oh, also, the FJ-09 with handguards is fully 3' wide. I've taken mine off (as have many others). It is pretty much required to take them off if you intend on splitting in the city. The width isn't so much of a problem until you get on the narrower freeway lanes in the city. On the other hand, the FJR is a pretty big girl at roughly 630 lbs and is a little more anxiety inducing and rough to handle while splitting in city traffic. I'm not sure exactly what to suggest; the bulk of your ride you will have diamond lanes, so the FJR wins for comfort on that portion. The FJ-09 wins for maneuverability once you are in town.

The FJ-09 is probably a good choice, but you are going to want a grand or so in upgrades (including heated grips). I guess that isn't so bad.

• Premium Member
The width of the FJ/Tracer is less of a problem than it looks. Because the handlebars are high they easily clear most cars' wing mirrors. It's only when you get two Transit van type vehicles side by side on narrow lanes that you have to hold back for a gap. GSs, Triumph Explorers and such struggle more than I do.

Guest bruinfj09guy
I agree, to an extent. They do clear most cars. We have a lot of larger vehicles over here, though: pickups, vans, suvs. My commute is only 12 miles (2,I5,110) and I'm pretty confident I run into such a scenario several times each morning. Commuting would be doable with the guards in tact, but the extra clearance makes my ride easier.

Thanks guys.. I have a lot to think about! has anyone heard anything on the 2015 vs 2016 model year. I've scoured the web and haven't had too much turn up. looks like they only changed the paint scheme!

I know your new and all, but use the search function, or browse sub-forum thread titles. This very same topic has been BASHED to death on this forum. From comparisons, to what people love and hate.

You have these threads to refer to, took me five minutes to dig these up:
http://fj-09.org/thread/3198/fj-09-2015-2016
http://fj-09.org/thread/3487/month-info-newbies
http://fj-09.org/thread/3253/15-16-model-year
http://fj-09.org/thread/3247/happy-fj-09
http://fj-09.org/thread/2441/2016-fj-09-announced

Thanks guys.. I have a lot to think about! has anyone heard anything on the 2015 vs 2016 model year. I've scoured the web and haven't had too much turn up. looks like they only changed the paint scheme!
My understanding, and only from quotes on the Forum, is that the only significant change is to the engine sump and the relocation of the oil drain plug there to a less vulnerable location. Otherwise - paints only, and colour of the blue anodised front fork on the silver bike.   I bought the last remaining Matte Grey in Australia, a 2015 model, as I actively dislike the blue fork on the '16 model - but YMMV.
[em]Wordsmith[/em]

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Archived