New mt-07 tracer??

tigger

I was really hoping that this would be an offroad/dirtroad capable version of the FZ-07. I feel that Yamaha might have kinda dropped the ball on a huge opportunity here.

The KLR 650 by Kawasaki is a dirt capable adventure bike that is as slow as a Vespa with hardly any power at all but it sells like hotcakes and the KLR owners will stand up and fight anyone who disses their beloved bike, such a loyal following that the KLR is a top ten beloved ADV bike.

A year ago I heard that Yamaha was working on an FJ-07. I really thought that they would make this a small tenere type of bike because it would destroy the KLR 650 and give Yamaha a huge segway into the deeply needed and desired lightweight adventure bike market. People have been begging for an offroad FZ-07 type of bike and I'm shocked that they instead decided to make this a low cost basic sport touring bike made for the road.

People who go sport touring on longer distances barely think that the FJ-09 is enough engine for the highway and long distance.

So now we get what, an FZ-07 with kind of a fairing in front? Ok. I'll get used to it but I'm not so sure that it is worthy of a new forum, and I'll be real interested in hearing if anyone will be passionate about this bike like they are about the FZ-07. It looks nice, I guess. But again, it's a 75 hp sport touring bike. Maybe it will have better fork internals and maybe it will handle really really well and sell like crazy.

I dunno yet but I am very disappointed that this bike is yet another low priced street bike for the masses. This would have made a great adventure bike to tap into the huge KLR-650 crowd. If this was an adventure bike, the motorcycle internet world would be going crazy right now and I'd have a new forum up and ready by tonight.

Now, not so much..

Yamahas 660 tenere,as been on sale in europe for some time now,and they are currently developing the new mt 07 tenere,theres pictures all over the internet of it,SWM as a new 650 adventure bike,KTM is developing an 890 adventure bike,theres going to be a new bmw 800 gs next year,about time to,the klr is a dinosaur.

• Premium Member
Remember Cruizin, this link is to a UK site. The midweight sector sells really well in Europe in multiple formats. Like Japan, Southern Europe often gets 250, 300 & 500cc versions of bikes you only see in 750 or 1 litre sizes in the UK & US.

Yamaha has a new 300cc engine in the MT03 and other bikes to cash in on that market.

The competition for the MT07 are bikes like Honda's CB650F, Suzuki's revamped SV650 and Kawasaki's ER6F which sell well here in the UK and the rest of Europe.

Have patience, the MT07 "Tenere" is on the way...I'm guessing there will be a Tenere family launched at the Milan show as the XT1200 is due a revamp as the current one does not meet the new European emissions regs due in 2017.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I was really hoping that this would be an offroad/dirtroad capable version of the FZ-07. I feel that Yamaha might have kinda dropped the ball on a huge opportunity here.  
The KLR 650 by Kawasaki is a dirt capable adventure bike that is as slow as a Vespa with hardly any power at all but it sells like hotcakes and the KLR owners will stand up and fight anyone who disses their beloved bike, such a loyal following that the KLR is a top ten beloved ADV bike.

A year ago I heard that Yamaha was working on an FJ-07. I really thought that they would make this a small tenere type of bike because it would destroy the KLR 650 and give Yamaha a huge segway into the deeply needed and desired lightweight adventure bike market. People have been begging for an offroad FZ-07 type of bike and I'm shocked that they instead decided to make this a low cost basic sport touring bike made for the road.

People who go sport touring on longer distances barely think that the FJ-09 is enough engine for the highway and long distance.

So now we get what, an FZ-07 with kind of a fairing in front? Ok. I'll get used to it but I'm not so sure that it is worthy of a new forum, and I'll be real interested in hearing if anyone will be passionate about this bike like they are about the FZ-07. It looks nice, I guess. But again, it's a 75 hp sport touring bike. Maybe it will have better fork internals and maybe it will handle really really well and sell like crazy.

I dunno yet but I am very disappointed that this bike is yet another low priced street bike for the masses. This would have made a great adventure bike to tap into the huge KLR-650 crowd. If this was an adventure bike, the motorcycle internet world would be going crazy right now and I'd have a new forum up and ready by tonight.

Now, not so much..

You're looking at the Tracer version, a kind of small version of the FJ09. The MT09 Tenere is different and was featured here: MCN

• Premium Member
Remember Cruizin, this link is to a UK site. The midweight sector sells really well in Europe in multiple formats. Like Japan, Southern Europe often gets 250, 300 & 500cc versions of bikes you only see in 750 or 1 litre sizes in the UK & US. 
Yamaha has a new 300cc engine in the MT03 and other bikes to cash in on that market.

The competition for the MT07 are bikes like Honda's CB650F, Suzuki's revamped SV650 and Kawasaki's ER6F which sell well here in the UK and the rest of Europe.

Have patience, the MT07 "Tenere" is on the way...I'm guessing there will be a Tenere family launched at the Milan show as the XT1200 is due a revamp as the current one does not meet the new European emissions regs due in 2017.
Maybe this is what people need; a Honda CRF250 Rallye

• Premium Member
Did you see the launch video? Clearly aimed at a younger market. Once you grow out of that sentimental crap you add one cylinder, and instead of turning back you keep going - to new adventures :)

• Premium Member
The 07 tracer comes with michelin pilot road 4s as standard,yamaha should have put those on the 09 as well.
I wonder if that means the final assembly is in the French factory like the XSR700 as detailed in Ride magazine. Apparently sub-assemblies are shipped from across the world for final assembly in St Quentin. It's nominally the MBK scooter factory but an increasing number of Japanese bikes are now assembled in Italy, France & Spain. It wouldn't make sense to ship Dunlop tyres from Japan, paying import duty, when you can get PR4s made in Clermont Ferrand. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

In profile at least this MT-07 Tracer looks remarkably like the new 2016 Triumph Tiger Sport.
[em]W[/em]

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Now, not so much..

Hard to tap into the KLR market because those damn bikes don't die!

• Premium Member
http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/motorcycles/sport-touring/tracer-700.aspx
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2016/04/yamaha-announces-new-tracer-700-for-europe-lightweight-affordable-twin-touring-with-video/

Looks like it could be a nice bike. Biggest problem with the FZ-07, IMO, was the seat to peg distance (way way too short - worse than my old Ninja 600). Hopefully they fixed this. Looks like our bike on a budget.

Really like the turn signals.

And, again IMO, that's a fantastic video ad.

• 2 months later...

Archived