AN IDIOTS GUIDE TO SUSPENSION SET UP & ADJUSTMENT

justplainbill

Suspension adjustment impaired FJ-09 owners (such as me), looking for an easy to understand guide to adjusting motorcycle suspension need to check out the Hyperpro Spring Mounting Manual, available to download here: http://hyperpro.com/en/manuals-2/  I'm not going to violate any laws copying it here, but if you have been confused and uncertain about what all these adjustment screws, nuts and bolts on your forks and shock do, and how they affect your motorcycle's behavior; and what screw to turn, in what direction when setting your suspension up and/or a particular handling problem occurs - this is the place to get all that explained and dispel your confusion.  And all in plain English and just seven pages long.

The full document is 35 pages long and intended to guide Hyperpro product owners installing and tuning those products. But if you want to cut to the chase, you can  skip the first 25 pages and start reading at "Setup 1: Maintenance, things to check first" and continue through Setup 4: Handling problems and possible solutions - which is a chart with problems listed on the Y-axis and each suspension parameter (front preload, front rebound, front compression, etc.) on the X axis - with suggested changes in each box under the parameter to affect/correct the problem noted.  And in between, for setting sag and damping, clear definitions, explanations, test procedures, what to expect from changes and keeping good records of changes and effects. 

I know people learn in different ways and this might not hit everyone the way it did me, but it's the best and most concise article I've found to make sense of a very difficult part of motorcycling. 

• Premium Member
Thumbs up to this!.... but what will we do on here then? I know.... we'll come back with all the wrong take-aways and argue about them  :) .
what's lamb rogon josh got to do with my preload? Well apart from increasing it, after several ales and a visit to the Jewel of India?
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Hmmm. 404 not found
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

• Premium Member
This guide states to set sag without the rider. I've seen other guides that say to set sag with the rider on the bike while fully geared up to include his full weight. I suppose either method will work but the sag setting will be different in each case. For example, a common sag for street riding with the rider is 33% of suspension travel. Without the rider you will set the sag to significantly less than 33%.

[Disclaimer: I'm just learning about suspension setups so I'm no expert.]

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

The manual is written by Hyperpro and is for the purpose of installing and tuning their products. If you notice, many of the steps recommend checking the "frontpage", which is evidently specific information for the make/model bike the springs are designed for. Just speculating here, maybe the reason for only measuring static sag is that Hyperpro mainly makes "progressive" or rising rate springs - where the spring rate increases as the spring is compressed. Presumably, once you make the initial static sag adjustment, the spring, which is designed for your make/model motorcycle, "takes care" of the rest. So, unless you are working with Hyperpro (or other progressive springs) it's probably best to ignore that part of the manual. And even if you are working with progressive springs, I would check to see that the "rider" sag is near the one third of suspension travel you mentioned and most suspension experts advise. The "one third rule" seems to apply to all springs and all shocks for all motorcycles.

That aside, the value of the manual (for me) is that it explains the function(s) of the various adjustments (especially damping), what happens when they are changed and has that very practical diagnostic chart at the end with suggested remedies for handling problems.

• 1 month later...
Hey guys. After a lot of research and suspensión tweaking I wanted to share my experience.
One of the things that made me doubt on wether to buy the FJ09 or not was the head wobble.
I based my setting on the MCN mag setup.
I weight 85KG with full gear and had a lot of wobble with standard settings.
My current settings make the bike track like an arrow and have almost no dive when breaking.

Fork Preload: 2 Turns Out from full
Fork Rebound: 8 Clicks
Shock Preload: 4/7
Shock Rebound: 1 & 1/4 turns out from full.

Try this setting. Its awesome!

I'm found these videos on YouTube and I thought id share. It's done on a FZ but should help get a starting point to tune the FJ.

Not sure if they've been shared before. If so, sorry.

Archived