Shad sh36 vs Yamaha factory side cases

So what's everyone's opinion? I need bags but I don't want a super wide rear end. I do like the looks of both cases. I like storage though so I may have to sacrifice the skinniness of the factory bags for the shad. Let me know what you guys think.

-Josh

• Premium Member
If you want skinny have a look at the Givi/Kappa offerings

I used a pair of Givi E21 side cases and a Givi E45 topbox on a trip to Germany.

If you want a little bigger, look at the Kappa K33 or Givi V35.

You will find a number of threads in the forum with pictures.

Givi/Kappa have fitting kits for most bikes so once you have the cases, it is a simple job to transfer the luggage from one bike to another. Also, the Monokey cases & topbox fitting system means you can swap boxes from side to topbox positions.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

40" isn't terrible. I do like to fit a helmet. How is the build quality on the shad units? Do you like them better than the factory cases?
I haven't seen or handled factory cases, so I can't really compare them.  I like the over all quality and look of the Shads.  It's taken a little while to get accustomed to them; I had a Kaw Concours 14 for six years after 20 years on a 3 Concours 10s.  The Shads have a shelf that extends out from the bottom of the inside half shell, and that has good and bad aspects.  Stuff doesn't get caught in the hinge area as much, but I have to be sure to have it all arranged on the shelf before closing.  But I'm getting used to it and a couple other idiosyncrasies. Over all I like them, and I'm sure other brands have their little strange characteristics also. Here's a shot of them on my bike a month or so ago-
http://i.imgur.com/glgM7Gu.jpg

The SHAD letters you see on their website are just vinyl stick-ons, and come off real easy with a hair dryer if you don't want them.
It can take a while for them to be available (I waited an excruciating month :P ), so if you decide on them you might want to check on that with whomever you are buying them from.

So what's everyone's opinion? I need bags but I don't want a super wide rear end. I do like the looks of both cases. I like storage though so I may have to sacrifice the skinniness of the factory bags for the shad. Let me know what you guys think. 
-Josh
I don't have either the SHAD or Yamaha cases, but I do have an opinion... When the time comes for me to purchase hard cases I will be going with the SHAD SH36 cases for a few reasons. First of all, the majority of reviews of the SHAD SH36 side cases and SH48 top case are excellent.  Secondly, I think they look better than Yamaha's, especially when you get the carbon insert to match the carbon look on the FJ.  Thirdly, they have more capacity than the Yamaha bags.  And lastly they are about $300 cheaper.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I also have the Shad SH36/Sh48 Combo. I haven't used the top box yet but I use the side cases all the time. Reasons I bought the Shad. Can fit a full size helmet, Cheaper than Factory Cases. Looks the best with the cases off (compared to all others except factory). I have received the liner bags when I bought the mounts, they are very handy, I fill it with all my stuff for work, and just take it into the office. looks a bit more professional than the backpack I had. They are a little wide, but I can't filter where I live and it's worth it for the space. Quality is excellent, especially on the SH48 top case. I also like the fact if I change bikes there's a good chance i can take the cases with me.

I have 2nd hand Yamaha side cases from the FJR. The boxes are probably 10 years old, cost me £200 and amazingly are already a perfect match colour wise to my faster Race Blu.
They have been through torrential weather and not let a drop in. Easy to use and fit the factory mounts with only a bottom bracket needed. Worth considering.
I use a Givi top box which takes 2 helmets (or one massive helmet in my case). I think the FJR cases will also take a helmet, although not my XXL!

I have 2nd hand Yamaha side cases from the FJR. The boxes are probably 10 years old, cost me £200 and amazingly are already a perfect match colour wise to my faster Race Blu. They have been through torrential weather and not let a drop in. Easy to use and fit the factory mounts with only a bottom bracket needed. Worth considering.
I use a Givi top box which takes 2 helmets (or one massive helmet in my case). I think the FJR cases will also take a helmet, although not my XXL!
If i could have found a set of FJR bags locally I would have gone that route for sure. 

Haven't seen anyone with a blacked out stock muffler.. looks pretty cool.  Any plans to paint the rest of the exhaust black to match?
The shield I painted comes off with a couple three easy to access screws, so I didn't have to mask anything.  I used a flat black hi temp spray paint that's for barbecue grills and stuff, from home depot.  I had done the whole thing up to the headers on my Concours (and liked it), so I wanted to start with the easy part on this first.  I like the look, and will probably mask and paint the cat and collector when I get time. 

• Premium Member
Haven't seen anyone with a blacked out stock muffler.. looks pretty cool.  Any plans to paint the rest of the exhaust black to match?
The shield I painted comes off with a couple three easy to access screws, so I didn't have to mask anything.  I used a flat black hi temp spray paint that's for barbecue grills and stuff, from home depot.  I had done the whole thing up to the headers on my Concours (and liked it), so I wanted to start with the easy part on this first.  I like the look, and will probably mask and paint the cat and collector when I get time.
I saw that a few weeks ago when you posted it and thought that it was an excellent idea. I painted my shield too because it masks the carbon deposits that accumulate on it. I am content keeping the rest of the exhaust unpainted though. 

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

+1 for SHAD. Just got mine last week. I need to fit my helmet in the cases, so the SHAD was the only option. Plus I really like how minimalist the mounting brackets are. I like the look of the fj's tail so didn't want to mess it up with huge brackets. Ordered straight from shad and were on my porch in less than a week. Took 10 minutes to install.

Archived