Shad sh36 vs Yamaha factory side cases

Officially have my shad cases ordered :)
If you also have a stock back rack, prepare to do some creative bushing work to get the proper spacing on everything.  The type of work I suspect most of the folks here enjoy. 

If you also have a stock back rack, prepare to do some creative bushing work to get the proper spacing on everything.  The type of work I suspect most of the folks here enjoy.
Indeed... I have the top case rack in place and will be finessing the 3P system into place when I finally get the mounting hardware (it's taking forever). Oddly enough I haven't found anything in Shad documents that would show how the entire combo (side case carrier and the 3P system) is mounted together. They just have pretty photos of a bike fitted with both.
Yeah, I know. I was scratching my head a bit  when I saw the shad bushings were so long that they definitely wouldn't fit inside or outside of the rack side mounts.  I left the side mount bushings in place and used some handy oversized nuts as spacers between the rack mounts and shad mounts to align the bottom of the shad mounts with the foot rest they bolt to.  The nuts compensate for the difference between the length of the rack bushings and shad bushings minus the thickness of the rack mount plate.  It should make more sense when you try to get it all in place.  I can post pics if needed, I just don't have time right now, it's pizza time!  Let me know if I can make it more clear. 

I think I get the gist, but when you have a chance do post a photo of how you did that, definitely. My dealer is having a hard time with Yamaha, but I am told I should have the stuff next week (same line I got two weeks ago). I am really looking forward to doing some multi-day trips now that I'll have tons of space for stuff.
Here are a couple quick shots, one of each side - 
http://i.imgur.com/h4ZNlcj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6ljqY98.jpg

The silver bushing is the one that came with the stock back rack, so the rack will still be happy.  Next is the back rack mount plate, then the nuts I used to make the bottom of the Shad racks come parallel with the foot rest where they bolt on.  The long bushings that came with the Shad mounts are in my spare parts bag with the side rails, shorter bolts and a bunch of other stuff so far. I plan on replacing the nuts with proper length bushings when the world slows down a tad.  I may cut the Shad bushings down and use them.  If you have time and tools, you might want to do it during installation once you figure out the length (my first guess is around 3/8").
Hope this helps when the time comes.

Is this something I have to worry about if I'm just installing the side cases? I don't have a rear rack or top box.
I am running just the side cases. It took a little bit of work to get them to fit, but only used the supplied hardware. I just put in all the bolts loose and slowly tightened them all. 

One consideration is whether you want to put a full face helmet into the case and close it - factory cases won't, and SH-36s will. The SH-36s look to be about a total of 40" wide on my bike.
How is the ground clearance when leaning the bike in tight turns? I can't seem to find any information on ground clearance. Thanks 

One consideration is whether you want to put a full face helmet into the case and close it - factory cases won't, and SH-36s will. The SH-36s look to be about a total of 40" wide on my bike.
How is the ground clearance when leaning the bike in tight turns? I can't seem to find any information on ground clearance. Thanks
No problem at all.  The posts on the pegs would still be the first thing to touch, unless you're really hanging a knee puck :D 

Here are a couple quick shots, one of each side - 
http://i.imgur.com/h4ZNlcj.jpg

Thanks for posting! Well, looks like your top case brackets are different from what I have. I will post a photo when I have a chance, but the mounting ears on mine are below the tubing, unlike yours.... so it is likely I might not need the stand-offs... but we'll see next week. What top case do you have?... I have the Shad SH48.
Sorry, I thought you said you had the Yamaha back rack, that's what I have.  I find I can tie larger things on top of it, rather than try to get them into a top case.  I haven't felt the need for a top case yet, but you never know, huh. 
You will still need to get the Shad mounts the same distance from the bike rails as the Shad bushings alone would.  This will get the Shad bottom mounting point properly aligned with the inside of the passenger foot peg mount as shown here -

http://i.imgur.com/FcAQTXu.jpg

This will keep the mount happy, with no twisting or bending forces involved.  Measuring the Shad bushings, then subtracting the thickness of your top case mount plates and whatever bushings came with it should give a good starting point for any needed additional bushing space.

The shield I painted comes off with a couple three easy to access screws, so I didn't have to mask anything.  I used a flat black hi temp spray paint that's for barbecue grills and stuff, from home depot.  I had done the whole thing up to the headers on my Concours (and liked it), so I wanted to start with the easy part on this first.  I like the look, and will probably mask and paint the cat and collector when I get time.
I saw that a few weeks ago when you posted it and thought that it was an excellent idea. I painted my shield too because it masks the carbon deposits that accumulate on it. I am content keeping the rest of the exhaust unpainted though.
Great idea. I did it last night and like the look much better. I think I'm going to drop the headers and do it up to where it is chrome. That whole mess under the engine is pretty ugly. I figure that the front part would just get chipped, so best to leave that alone. 

Shad cases arrive on Friday. Had to go back and forth between customer service since for some reason they charged me and my order was stuck in processing status and not shipping out for like a week. Even though the product page said "ships in 24-48 hrs" oh well. They were very helpful just dreadfully slow to respond. Wish I woulda got some liners out of it or something haha.

The shield I painted comes off with a couple three easy to access screws, so I didn't have to mask anything.  I used a flat black hi temp spray paint that's for barbecue grills and stuff, from home depot.  I had done the whole thing up to the headers on my Concours (and liked it), so I wanted to start with the easy part on this first.  I like the look, and will probably mask and paint the cat and collector when I get time.
I saw that a few weeks ago when you posted it and thought that it was an excellent idea. I painted my shield too because it masks the carbon deposits that accumulate on it. I am content keeping the rest of the exhaust unpainted though.
I did the shield and really liked the look. Decided to go a bit further and did all the exhaust mess underneath up to the chrome. I really like how it turned out.  
Thanks for the idea!

20160504_105458_zpss1f4ta7l.jpg

I did the shield and really liked the look. Decided to go a bit further and did all the exhaust mess underneath up to the chrome. I really like how it turned out.  
Thanks for the idea!

20160504_105458_zpss1f4ta7l.jpg

I haven't gotten to it yet, I did the Motodynamic tail light last weekend.  Thanks for letting us see what it looks like, I really like it and just moved it up on my list.  I might paint the back foot pegs too. I took a black sharpie to my back brake reservoir, except the level window, and I think it removed another distraction from the overall look of the bike.

Archived