Cleaning the FJ

This could be considered a somewhat stupid post but yutahey.  I am wondering if anyone has used wax on the frame.  My concern is that the frame and especially the swingarm is somewhat flat black.  Before I try it on a test spot I thought I might as well ask if anyone else has tried.  I'm getting ready to detail her for the season and I'm trying to avoid a possible hassle.  Any feedback is appreciated.
Brad
Selbyville, DE

I contacted Meguires for their advice on care of matte finishes.  They told me that it is important to avoid anything that will add shininess.  It will not be an even level of gloss so waxes and polishes are to be avoided.  They also said that it is important to keep the bike clean so the matte paint won't get spots which will be hard to remove without making a shiny spot. They recommended  Meguires Ultimate Quick Detailer which is use and like.  It doesn't seem like much more than water but I am able to do some spot cleaning with it.

• Premium Member
I quite like the matt black. It blends in better with the overall patination of my bike.

Detailing & seasonal use? Isn't that something more akin to Hárley Dávidsón ownership?
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

First of all my FJ is red.  When I was much younger I used to ride all year long.  I had a snowmobile suit that I wore during the cold weather.  I am now a fair weather rider, it gets cold here in the winter although I did get a fair amount of riding in this past winter.  As for the clean bike reference to Harleys, I have always kept all 14 of my bikes, none of which has been  a Harley, in pristine condition.  It definitely pays off come selling time.  The other response to this post answered my question about waxing the frame.  I know it was referring to the Matte Gray paint but the frame and swingarm do seem similar in finish.  Thanks gentlemen and Wesse, I do enjoy your posts.
Brad
Selbyville, DE

• Premium Member
The Reason I bought the 2015 Matt Grey Instead of a 2016 Black is because I don't like waxing bikes. I like that I can just hose her down and wipe off with cloth rags. My Ural Gear Up is Camo and I don't have to wax that rig either. On the other hand my Yamaha 1976 XS650C gets the wax and polishing. I'd rather be riding than polishing.... ;-)4503381.jpg

A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• Premium Member
I contacted Meguires for their advice on care of matte finishes.  They told me that it is important to avoid anything that will add shininess.  It will not be an even level of gloss so waxes and polishes are to be avoided.  They also said that it is important to keep the bike clean so the matte paint won't get spots which will be hard to remove without making a shiny spot. They recommended  Meguires Ultimate Quick Detailer which is use and like.  It doesn't seem like much more than water but I am able to do some spot cleaning with it.
I use this too.  I gives the finish properties of a protected waxed finish such as beading water and easy clean up - but no wax build up and shine.  Stuff smells great too  8-)  

• Premium Member
Nice XS !

Thanks Suncoaster. I've owned it since new when I was 17 yrs. old with money from cutting lawns. Still runs like a top. Yamaha went the retro route with their 500cc single but I think they missed the mark and should have brought back the XS 650. Truly a bulletproof engine. Lots of folk out there making choppers and bobbers out of them although I'd never do that to mine. Been kicking around finding one for my son.

I also had a 76 XS 650 with the exact color scheme as yours.  I bought it used around 1978.  One St. Patricks day a good friend of mine took it for a ride while I was taking a shower.  We were heading out to celebrate the Irish.  I showered and waited for him to return.  Several hours later I get a call from him from the hospital.  Sure enough he had crashed right into a guard rail while coming down a steep country  road that ended with a stop sign and the forementioned guardrail.  I was able to piece her back together but sold it shortly afterwards.  It was a comfortable bike that handled pretty good for the times.
Brad
Selbyville, DE

Guest bruinfj09guy
I hose down, wash with dish soap in warm water, sometimes I use Wax As You Dry spray (might be McGuires; can't remember). In between I use McGuires Quick Detailer.

I bought a product call Turtle Wax Black Magic Detailer (or something like that) for the black FJR. I used it on the black parts on the FJ-09 including frame, wheels, engine, graphite panels, and it made the bike look great!

• Premium Member
I hose down, wash with dish soap in warm water, sometimes I use Wax As You Dry spray (might be McGuires; can't remember). In between I use McGuires Quick Detailer.  
I bought a product call Turtle Wax Black Magic Detailer (or something like that) for the black FJR. I used it on the black parts on the FJ-09 including frame, wheels, engine, graphite panels, and it made the bike look great!
dish soap, at least the stuff they sell in the UK, is not a good product to use on vehicles. They use salt, the stuff you put on French Fries, as a thickener. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Guest bruinfj09guy
dish soap, at least the stuff they sell in the UK, is not a good product to use on vehicles. They use salt, the stuff you put on French Fries, as a thickener. 
...oh? That's not good. I suppose I should throw down a few buck on some car/motorcycle soap.

• Premium Member
The issue with using regular dish soap is that it removes the wax that's on already. A detailer told me to only use soap concentrate especially formulated for use on vehicles.

Archived