• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

MT-09 Tracer -> Tracer 900

Anyone else notice that with the announcement of the Tracer 700 (effectively the MT-07 Tracer), Yamaha rebranded the MT-09 Tracer as the Tracer 900 on the UK website?

Looks like they're establishing Tracer as it's own category/sub-brand/whatever you wanna call it kind of like Kawasaki with "Versys".

I wonder if the name will eventually carry over to the US or if they'll continue calling them FJs. 

Anyway, not too exciting, I know; just something to note for curiosity purposes.

I was just talking to a friend about how silly it was that the same bikes in the rest of the world are MT-09 or MT-09 Tracer while in the US its the FZ-09 and FJ-09...

Tracer 900, huh... Always thought that MT-09, FZ-09, FJ-09 were misleading since the motor isn't a 900. I guess MT-850 or FJ-850 doesn't have the same ring to it.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I was just talking to a friend about how silly it was that the same bikes in the rest of the world are MT-09 or MT-09 Tracer while in the US its the FZ-09 and FJ-09...
Canada is not (yet) part of the USA. It's FZ and FJ here too.
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

I figured the US was the oddball.. So, I guess its North America where its called the FJ-09?

My point remains. Is the difference between "MT-09" and "FZ-09" really necessary? I'm sure there was some marketing focus group that decided it would be better to call it FZ and FJ in North America.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I figured the US was the oddball.. So, I guess its North America where its called the FJ-09? 
My point remains. Is the difference between "MT-09" and "FZ-09" really necessary? I'm sure there was some marketing focus group that decided it would be better to call it FZ and FJ in North America.
Isn't it FJ (not FZ) and MT? Insuring my first Tracer here I had to go out of my way to advise the insurance rep that the MT-09 [strong]Tracer[/strong] is not the same as the MT-09.   That is a frankly 'hooligan' sports-bike, much favoured here by younger wannabees, and much crashed, hence its high insurance rating. [em]W[/em]

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Correct. I was just speaking in general about the different names.. MT-09 vs FZ-09, Tracer vs FJ-09 etc..

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
I think TRACER is a Ford copyright in the US. So they can't use the Tracer name.
Yep, and Ford are pretty protective of their model names in the US. Kawasaki had to drop the "Zephyr" name for this reason. Triumph somehow gets away with "Thunderbird," probably because they used the name first.

And anyway, I don't think "Tracer" would resonate well with American buyers, we'd associate it with a crappy economy car. "FJ" works well because people remember the FJ1200 fondly.

Tracer is a stupid name anyway...I own one, and everyone just refers to it as "Tracey" (which is okay as a girl's name... actually it's not, I have bad memories of girl called Tracey) -

That's my point; for some people, names, or names that sound or remind of other names, especially if it has bad associations is rubbish.   Why would you turn (some) potential customer's off before they even start? 

...But it beats TDM (Tedium) who in their right mind would sell a bike named a Tedium? ...oh yeah...Yamaha (I had one of those too) - and I would suggest it was a major reason it didn't sell - the press picked up on it and it was Tedium from the start.  Who wants to be associated with tedium? 

As a Professional marketer I can tell you that many manufacturers shy away from naming products and give them reference numbers instead (I have an Epsom WF-7620 printer etc.).  Why?  That's because they want the brand to be remembered, not the specific model.   "FJ-09" is a FAR better thing to call a bike, than some stupid name that (potentially) can have good, bad or indifferent associations.

Then Tracer could be a bullet / gun related (no thanks), Mr Tracy from Thunderbirds - no thanks, Tracey that tart that...(another story) - no thanks, etc - no thanks.   So why would you do it???

FJ-09 (no associations with anything for most...other than perhaps other Yamaha products, (which hopefully is a good thing). Far better.

AND.  Its an 850... so why 09 ???   FJ-85, maybe   MT-85 perhaps?  (MT = Empty?...sounds like my life, and this post) .  

Now names with associations of power or magnitude or strength, I can live with that far more.   Powerful nature things:  Hayabusa (a bird of Prey), Eagle, Tiger, Viper, Python, Shark, Stingray, Jellyfish (okay, maybe not Jellyfish) etc....  or perhaps weather.ish .. Hurricane, Tornado, Passat, Bora ( "Drizzle" and "Fog" don't work as well, but could give a certain English character to a product)

But "Tracer"??? really?  crap.

Knowing what to call something, it's a Hornet's nest I tell ya!!!
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

back in the 80's when the FJ lineup was spawned who knows what the motivation. The Japanese like to string English letters together without rhyme or reason. Saw lots of Japlish and Engrish growing up there 17 years.

Calling the FJ-09 an FJ is a bit off since it's always been for heavy, "stately", I4 sport tourers.

Why Yamaha uses 'J' I know not (XJ, FJ). It's not part of their name and there is no phonetic equivalent in their alphabet.

• Premium Member
Mitsubishi takes the prize for embarrassing names.

In the UK they called their 4X4 Range Rover clone the Shogun. In other markets it was called Pajero which is Spanish for an onanist.

Or maybe Mazda with the Puta.

http://www.oddee.com/item_93544.aspx has more

Funniest is the Chevvy/Vauxhall Doesn't Go (Nova)

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived