MT-09 Tracer -> Tracer 900

The only thing I can think of with the MT vs FZ renaming is that MT sounds very close to "empty", as the "p" is not emphasized too much in an American accent.

Maybe some North American marketing guy though we would be more liable to make fun of that then the Brits?

Anyway I have to concur that Tracer isn't a great name either.

I kind of liked the Fazer name they had been using for fared versions of standard bikes and think they should have stuck with that, but I imagine that name got ditched because of Star Trek being more generally known now (yes I know it's spelled differently fellow nerds :) ).

• Premium Member
But the Star Trek reference would just make me want it more!

Truthfully, I've always thought that anything other than a model year, model line, engine size, and trim level is unnecessary. Half the time, I end up "naming" my bike whatever I want based on the characteristics anyways, so just give me "2015 FJ-847" and I'll be happy as a clam. Come on, even HD gets it right with the Sportster 883, Ducati with the Monster 821, etc. I guess truth in advertising would be too much to ask!

[quote author="@pattonme"
Why Yamaha uses 'J' I know not (XJ, FJ). It's not part of their name and there is no phonetic equivalent in their alphabet.

not true

So says my native Japanese (and linguist) wife

Indeed, my name John is the stereo type name for male dogs (like Fido or Rover is in England), Fujitsu, Judo, Ju (= number 10)
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

• Premium Member
I'm still wanting to know what,"FJ" stands for? I'm giving it my own meaning, "Fantastic Journey"
Designed to go "farther" than the other J frame designated models. Or so I read on the internet so it has to be true. 
Better than riding a Giant Sausage Xtra Relish. Not that there's anything wrong with that. 

Riding a giant sausage with Xtra relish? I bet you have an interesting browser history...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

not true

Indeed, my name John is the stereo type name for male dogs (like Fido or Rover is in England), Fujitsu, Judo, Ju (= number 10)

There is no "jay" with long 'a'.

Ja(cket) short 'a', (Rohma)Ji sounded 'gee', Ju(ku) sounded 'jew' or 'juice', Je sounded 'jester', Jo sounded 'John' or 'joke'. 

The 'J' is the "Sa, Shi, Su, Se, So" with "ten, ten" and is phonetically akin to the muddied 'dg' combination from  'bridge'. So "dga dgi dgu dge dgo".

I didn't talk motorcycle model names much when growing up so it's possible the natives use the 'Je'ster which comes closest to being the long 'a'. In either case it's an unusual phonetic choice. Then again 'X' is an even more odd choice.

GSXR is a mouthful: gee e-su e-kku-su ah.  Or sometimes 'gee sekkusu ah'.
Say it fast enough and you get a hint of 'r' out of 'ahhh' like opening wide for a dentist.
Some people say the 'G' as 'gay' others as  'ge(t)'.

Guest bruinfj09guy
not true  

There is no "jay" with long 'a'. 
Ja(cket) short 'a', (Rohma)Ji sounded 'gee', Ju(ku) sounded 'jew' or 'juice', Je sounded 'jester', Jo sounded 'John' or 'joke'. 

The 'J' is the "Sa, Shi, Su, Se, So" with "ten, ten" and is phonetically akin to the muddied 'dg' combination from  'bridge'. So "dga dgi dgu dge dgo".

I didn't talk motorcycle model names much when growing up so it's possible the natives use the 'Je'ster which comes closest to being the long 'a'. In either case it's an unusual phonetic choice. Then again 'X' is an even more odd choice.

GSXR is a mouthful: gee e-su e-kku-su ah.  Or sometimes 'gee sekkusu ah'.
Say it fast enough and you get a hint of 'r' out of 'ahhh' like opening wide for a dentist.
Some people say the 'G' as 'gay' others as  'ge(t)'.
Thanks for the clarification. Seemed odd (and implausible and incorrect) to me that there was no "J"  sound in a country called "Japan." :)

Guest bruinfj09guy
Or maybe Mazda with the Puta.

Lol. Someone in the marketing/naming department must have got fired over that.

Don't ask me...I was sitting in bed and mentioned it to academic Nippon wifey (reading a bike forum in bed...guess how many years I've been married!)

Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

Guest bruinfj09guy
Don't ask me...I was sitting in bed and mentioned it to academic Nippon wifey (reading a bike forum in bed...guess how many years I've been married!) 

...at least one?  8-)

• Premium Member
Mitsubishi takes the prize for embarrassing names.
In the 1980s the Mitsubishi GTO was sold in the USA as the "Conquest" (through Chrysler brands). This was a rather curious choice for a Japanese car sold in the USA, by Mitsubishi no less. Why not just call it the Tora! Tora!

For motorcycles BMW must take the stupidity cake. Why is an 800cc twin called F650?!

• Premium Member
Now names with associations of power or magnitude or strength, I can live with that far more.   Powerful nature things:  Hayabusa (a bird of Prey)
Ah yes, the Suzuki Eyeabuser. Nothing wrong with that name.

Archived