lit controls?

Are you having troubles finding the throttle, brake, and clutch or something?

This seems rather silly to do. I have a switch for my lightbar inside the handguard that has one little red LED there, and it annoys the piss out of me. But its where I want the switch so I deal with it.

But in light of the question.....you could install some flexible 4"-6" LED strips inside the handguards and splice them into the 12v socket for power.

• Premium Member
you should be looking where you are going not where you are prodding your thumb - it's not hard to train your muscles to remember the positions. If you want a challenge try flipping from a BMW to a Yamaha.

For 4 or 5 months of the year I have Tucano Urbano muffs on the bike and seem to get by. They are the only muffs you will get me to fumble about in :)
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

you should be looking where you are going not where you are prodding your thumb - it's not hard to train your muscles to remember the positions. 
I agree that my eyes should be on the road. However, there are times I need to visually check where I'm putting my hands. If the buttons were back-lit like everything else designed to used in the dark I would be fine.  :)  I live in the country where there are no street lights and sometimes the grips disappear into the darkness. Sure I could just keep my hands on the bars, but that's just not practical. I've seen single led lights that might work for me that I can mount on the tank. 

With multiple bikes I did find myself looking for the hazard button on the FJ one night and no idea where it was as I hadn't used it before. I'll pop them on (or tap the brake a few times) if I can see the freeway's coming to a sudden stop on my commute.  
Doubt I'd go to the trouble to wire anything. Maybe I'll grab one of the niblings glow markers this weekend. That might be overwhelmed by the panel/ambient light tho. If that doesn't work a small triangle of reflective tape will probably suffice.

One thing I do want to look into is installing the flash module for brake lights. As a driver I find them annoying but cant deny their effectiveness.  
I have some leftover reflective tape from when I did the wheels and body panels. Maybe I'll experiment with that first. One idea I had was to put the lights on a tank bag but I don't really think I want one of those bags. 

I have been thinking that it would be nice to have some ambient lighting on my controls for night driving. Maybe red leds to dimly illuminate the hand controls. Has anyone done this or have an idea for it?
Just hang an LED work light on your jacket and light up the area 8-)  

Guest bruinfj09guy
Sometimes I hit the horn on accident reaching for the signal. 
I do that sometimes too. I've gotten some looks. Ha.

Sometimes I hit the horn on accident reaching for the signal. 
I do that sometimes too. I've gotten some looks. Ha.
Me too.  Like when I signal to change lanes to pass a cager (yes, some older folks still do that) I feel kinda silly when it happens.  But like someone said, I'll probably get used to it and have some muscle memory eventually. 

Archived