National Cyle Windscreen Size Question

vinnie

Hi Everyone,
I am interested in buying a National Cycle windscreen and wanted to consult your opinions sizing. I am between 5' 11" - 6' with a 32 inseam. Trying to decide if the sport touring (medium) size windscreen will give me proper wind protection. I tried measuring from the gas tank like the manufacturer said, but I couldn't tell if it would be enough vs the tall windscreen.
My concern is- if I get the tall windscreen and it is too tall, I'm not sure if it will effect my vision while I ride and wasn't sure if it will overheat me in the hot summer days.
Any input from people similar size to me on fit and function would be much appreciated. Thanks!

• Premium Member
Hi Everyone, I am interested in buying a National Cycle windscreen and wanted to consult your opinions sizing. I am between 5' 11" - 6' with a 32 inseam. Trying to decide if the sport touring (medium) size windscreen will give me proper wind protection. I tried measuring from the gas tank like the manufacturer said, but I couldn't tell if it would be enough vs the tall windscreen.
My concern is- if I get the tall windscreen and it is too tall, I'm not sure if it will effect my vision while I ride and wasn't sure if it will overheat me in the hot summer days.
Any input from people similar size to me on fit and function would be much appreciated. Thanks!
I bought the tall windscreen, I'm 5'8" and it was way too tall for me. I replaced it with the medium. With the tall screen I had to look through it, which I found very uncomfortable.

• Premium Member
I am 5-10 with a 32" inseam and I wear a Shuberth C-3 pro helmet. I ride with good posture and found the medium V-Screen left me with significant wind noise above 55mph.  I returned it and bought the large.  I only have 100+- miles on this screen. FWIW here are my findings: I rarely find myself looking through the screen.  I can ride comfortably with my visor up and still get plenty of wind on my arms and shoulders to be comfortable on an 80 degree day.  So far I am pleased with the touring screen but I want to ride a bit more on it before endorsing.
Cheers,  Joe
2015 FJ-09 Red
2012 1200GS - sold
2005 1200GS - sold
2005 650GS - sold

Guest bruinfj09guy
Thanks for the feedback fj09excited and ribbonguy.

I'm 5'10 also and have been eying the sport touring. I really don't want the full touring as it is just a little large on the bike for my tastes. A little disappointed ribbonguy has some buffeting on the C3 Pro, as that is supposedly one of the quietest helmets around. It all depends on the combination I guess.

Now if someone would get some stock on the VStreams again.

• Premium Member
I'm 6'3" with a 33" inseam. I bought the Sport Touring screen and it does not work well for my height. I get a lot of noise at helmet level and at 80mph there is an uncomfortable vibration that sets in. It's not buffeting, just a strange vibration of air around my helmet. If I hunch down an inch or so the noise and vibration go away. I definitely should have gotten the larger touring screen.

• Premium Member
Hi Everyone, I am interested in buying a National Cycle windscreen and wanted to consult your opinions sizing. I am between 5' 11" - 6' with a 32 inseam. Trying to decide if the sport touring (medium) size windscreen will give me proper wind protection. I tried measuring from the gas tank like the manufacturer said, but I couldn't tell if it would be enough vs the tall windscreen.
I bought the tall windscreen, I'm 5'8" and it was way too tall for me. I replaced it with the medium. With the tall screen I had to look through it, which I found very uncomfortable.
Johan, I got the tall despite being the same height as you and am worried it might be too tall, how are you getting on with the medium?

I am 6'4" and looking into the National Cycle Windscreen. I like how the smaller tinted looks like but it seems from the posts that it would be a waste of money. I don't like the large touring one because I think it kills the look of the bike. Anyone close to my height have experience with the medium option? I love the bike, hate the wind noise and vibrations I get in my helmet (Icon Variant Construct).

Hey Vinnie...

I did the same thing as You, researched screens on this forum. Rode my FJ for about 250 miles and the stock screen was poor above 35-40...really bad at freeway speeds. I chose the NC tall touring and like ribbonguy's post am totally pleased with it. 5-10 & 32 inseam cant believe what a difference it makes at all speeds especially on freeway...roll right up to 80 mph and smooth as silk. I actually have been forgetting to put faceshield down on helmet because airflow is so smooth around head. Very pleased with quality and easy install. NOTE-NOTE NOTE!!!     One important note I should stress to you and all those considering this windscreen...back on April 13, member stevelenti discovered that the screen will magnify the sun onto the instrument cluster when parked for awhile at certain angles. The first day I rode bike with new screen I stopped at friends house and parked bike for 15 mins. when I looked over & realized sun was angled towards rear...ran over & sure enough it was shining like a magnifying glass on small spot on screen face. I quickly covered with a towel and cussed for 10 min. before riding home. It has left a small yellow spot right above MPH & is very slowly fading after 6-7 more rides. Be sure to carry small towel or gloves and cover cluster when parking in sun. For me personally not a big deal as screen makes such a difference in riding.

• Premium Member
Johan, I got the tall despite being the same height as you and am worried it might be too tall, how are you getting on with the medium?
The medium works better for me. I have to say the tall screen it was completely quiet, as others have said I could open my visor. But it did not work for me. The medium is better, but still noisy and under certain conditions, at speed, I sometimes get a high frequency buffeting that makes my helmet vibrate. At around 70 mph it is definitely an improvement over the Yamaha original. I need to try one of the adjustable visors.

After about 1300 miles with the stock wind screen (including two 500 mile weekends), I got a tall national cycle wind screen. I will report back my experience. I got a special deal on it, so I pulled the trigger while it was available to me. I also want to get my seat reupholstered and it may be raised an inch, so I figured I would air on the side of caution and get the large one.

Archived